LastPass Free limiting device types

But can’t you just share the master password from one individual account with your spouse?

yes you can, if you want to share all your passwords. Would get a little complicated if you have separate logins for the same site. Under the family plan, you can create shared folders and populate them only with the sites or information you want to share.

yes you can, if you want to share all your passwords. Would get a little complicated if you have separate logins for the same site. Under the family plan, you can create shared folders and populate them only with the sites or information you want to share.

I decided to go with the combined Lastpass account and have tested it out. For combined sites (library, heath care, etc) this still works fine. One just has to select the right account. You can see which account it is if you name it like, for instance, Dave_library and Linda_library.

And when I exported/imported DW's accounts I put them in a separate folder so they are hopefully all easily differentiated from mine. A little more house keeping but should be easy to maintain I think.

But can’t you just share the master password from one individual account with your spouse?
Yes you can, and that would probably work for some people, but there are situations where you might not want your spouse or someone else to have access to certain individual accounts (e.g. if it is a later marriage and you have premarital accounts), and in that case you can set it up so the other person shares certain accounts and not others.

You could easily do this, by duplicating the database file.
Name it travel.kdbx.
Open keePass and close the database normally used, then open the travel one. Delete what you don't want, and save it.

A big issue will be syncing the databases.

Myself, I make a copy of my database, and put it into a veracrypt container on a tiny thumb drive.
So the encrypted database is inside an encrypted file container, even if I lose the thumbdrive it's going to be pretty safe.
I have veracrypt on the computer, and when I need to see the passwords, I plug in the thumbdrive, open the veracrpyt container, then use keePass pointing to the now displayed database.

Everytime we travel, I just put a fresh copy into the thumbdrive, so don't really need to sync.
Thanks for the prompt. I was about to reply that my main issue with manually subdividing my keepass database is that the application only keeps one kdbx open. So it would get tedious to close/open to switch between them during the normal course of operation. .....but I decided to try opening a second DB and I see that it works, providing a tabbed view of both databases for easy toggling between them. So I may look into this approach further. I thought I had tried this years ago, but maybe I just assumed it did not work based on some documentation.

You don't have to be traveling in say, Italy or France, to be worried about being held at knifepoint for your valuables. You could have that happen right in your home. So security only goes so far.

Our devices are basically uncrackable by criminal types. But yes, someone could threaten bodily harm and even require I give them a password while they hold my iPhone. Then if they are really going to pull off stuff they'd kill me and empty my accounts over time or wait until I help them do so. So that's why I keep our doors locked and deploy normal security measures. ;)

Getting back to just travel, Europeans move about all the time with electronic devices in their pockets. There are many tourists that are somewhat careless with their pocket items like wallets and phones. Many I am sure are less secure then ones we deploy. We take better measures then most to protect devices so I think criminals will go after the low hanging fruit.

And I don't mean to be pooh-poohing these concerns. I've considered the worst especially when I am tired at nights and worried about everything. :(:rolleyes::)
I do not disagree, but my main concern is the travel use case. If I get my electronic device stolen near my home, I can go back home and recover. If I am half way around the world and my smartphone is taken I am hamstrung even after I buy a replacement phone unless I can recover from the cloud. To make things more difficult, two-factor authentication often gets in the way (it does for me, as I will get a local number when traveling and my US number will not work internationally). Utilizing the cloud for recovery while at home is also a good strategy, though other options are possible.

I do not disagree, but my main concern is the travel use case. If I get my electronic device stolen near my home, I can go back home and recover. If I am half way around the world and my smartphone is taken I am hamstrung even after I buy a replacement phone unless I can recover from the cloud. To make things more difficult, two-factor authentication often gets in the way (it does for me, as I will get a local number when traveling and my US number will not work internationally). Utilizing the cloud for recovery while at home is also a good strategy, though other options are possible.

We have iPhones and use TMobil which works in Europe with our number. I have not thought through your very remote possibility emergency. But if we were in say, Italy, we would probably wind up at a local police station. From there we would have to get some emergency help possibly via the US embassy.

Would have to have a relative wire money. Regarding the phone, we would buy at least one new iPhone and have to restore from the cloud. Then how to convince TMobil that it is us? Well that is where the PIN comes into play so need remember that one. One could restore critical data via cellular. One could restore Lastpass also via cellular (turn off wifi).

So that is my wild guesses which will never need to be acted upon. :)

I will look into that. I like LastPass and may pay for the subscription but am interested in alternatives.

I’m now using Bitwarden free version.

I was able to export from Lastpass following Bitwarden’s instructions.

Some of the form fills came over with data in the notes field, but they weren’t working for me in Lastpass.

Every password has worked. Bitwarden makes me log in more often than Lastpass.

I’m going to leave my data in LastPass free but am using Bitwarden exclusively going forward. I can share the free account with DW, but she got so frustrated with LastPass she never would use it.

I don’t think Bitwarden offers account recovery for the master password, but that makes it even more secure. I wrote it on a piece of paper and put it in the safe [emoji3]

Initially I was going to just sign up for Families at Last Pass. I've been using the free version but DH was interested in using it and I was OK with the cost of Families. But, I went and did research on the current state of the password manager market. I also read the LastPass subreddit. Anyway, DH and I have decided to trial 1Password. Its family version is $12 more a year than LastPass but I liked a number of things I read about it. And, I am not enchanted with LastPass. If I don't like it, then I will probably go back to LastPass.

So there was a special to get 50% of the first year with the 1Password family plan So I am in the trial with that and if I like it I will continue it for the year and reassess at the end.

I signed up for the 1Password family plan. So far it's been working great. The UI is much better than Lastpass. Happy that I made the change and hopefully I won't have to deal with this again any time soon.

Dashlane Limited to One Device Too

I added the free version of Dashlane knowing that it limits to 50 passwords. I figured I could live with that. But the promo period ended and they sprung a surprise on me: They only allow one device with free.

Into the trash bin it goes, along with LastPass.

On to KeePassXC.

Almost two weeks with 1Password and it’s been working great. Sites that had issues with Lastpass don’t seem to be a problem with 1Password. And as a bonus, the UI doesn’t look like it was written by engineers (no offense to engineers [emoji2]).

The entire family has migrated and no complaints. I like the layout with individual vaults and a shared vault for everyone in our group. Apparently you can also allow guest access, but I haven’t tried that yet.

It isn’t free, but it’s a good option for those willing to pay for a password manager.

About a week ago, I switched from 1Password 6 (old version) to Bitwarden. I did this because the 1Password is getting old (I refuse to subscribe to software, unless I really have to), Bitwarden is up-to-date, and it is free.

I am running it on my Macs, iPhone, and iPad. The features are almost identical to what 1Password had. I sometime have a little problem with the Chrome plug-in, but can live with it. I am glad I switched to something supported.

I always liked Keepass. I keep my updated file on USB. I tried Lastpass but never liked it much and I didn't trust it with my most important passwords. I trie Keepass2Android Offline. I don't expose my master file to the internet and I have access via my phone and Chromebook. I'll probably just let the browser's I have decided to let the browser's enter passwords for less sensitive sites.

I added the free version of Dashlane knowing that it limits to 50 passwords. I figured I could live with that. But the promo period ended and they sprung a surprise on me: They only allow one device with free.

Into the trash bin it goes, along with LastPass.

On to KeePassXC.
OLD THREAD, but I'm only now finally getting around to dumping LastPass.

I got SyncThing going between my phone and desktop (Android smartphone and Windows 7). I installed KeePass2 on the desktop and imported the LastPass database. The kdbx file is synched (along with other stuff) between the phone and desktop (SyncTrayzor on the desktop and Syncthing loaded through F-Droid on the phone).

I then realized that I needed KeePassXC on the Windows machine to get KeePassXC-Browser going, so got both of those quickly installed.

This seems like it's going to work for me. I ended up with AuthPass, another open source project loaded from F-Droid, to get passwords into apps, including the web browser.

The only weird thing is, unlike LastPass, the KeePassXC-Browser doesn't seem to want to match the entire URL instead of just the domain. So, for instance, the LastPass database that was migrated had some random ER forum URL paired with my ER forum password. When I went to the login page here, no password was offered. I dug into the database, and changed the URL to the specific login page [... forums/misc.php?do=login ] and it worked, but anything else didn't. I poked around for a setting to relax that, but didn't find anything. Anyone got any schooling for me?

It has been some months since DW and I are sharing a Lastpass account. This has worked well. If she wants to login to something that I have an account on and is easily shared, all I need to do is tell her to use my login and launch the app. She uses Lastpass on her PC and iPhone. I've used it on Firefox and Edge browsers on my PC and it works really well on my iPhone. The redundancy is also a good thing.

The small yearly fee is worth it.

I've been using Bitwarden for the last six months and I find it a worthy replacement for LastPass.

^^^ +1 for Bitwarden. I've been using for quite a few months now and also quite happy.

The KeePassXC buzz on this thread was pretty significant earlier. I'm still having problems with the URL matching. Might have to be the one to do the heavy lifting (digging into the technurd sites) to figure it out. I'll report back what I find.

I’m happy with 1Password after moving over earlier this year. Works way better than Lastpass, which always looked like it was developed by college students. 1Password UI is way better and I’ve never had any URL issues on the Mac or iOS devices, which wasn’t true with Lastpass.

I'm using Keepass 2 Android Offline. I only update the file on one device and just copy it to my phone and Chromebook. Works great and my file remains local.

Back
Top Bottom