Ten Favorite Movies of All Time

I don't think any of these have been mentioned: Master and Commander, Cold Mountain, The Hunt for Red October, Pride and Prejudice, Howard's End, The Talented Mr. Ripley, The Departed, Shakespeare in Love, The Madness of King George, Far from the Madding Crowd and The Color Purple.

Great - you helped fill out my list with Master and Commander, Shakespeare in Love, The Madness of King George.

I didn’t see The Hunt for Red October, but it reminded me how much I enjoyed Das Boot (WWII German U-boat).

Hmmm - looks like I lean towards historical/period movies and foreign films.

Adding to some lists

Great lists!

I am definitely getting some ideas of movies that made several lists, but which I have not seen.

Rather than prepare my own list, here are some that have been mentioned less frequently, if at all, but IMHO bear consideration if not for a top 10, then for a top 20:

Sports:

Rocky-(cost $1M, $225M box office, 7 sequels so far, Sly Stallone, what can you say?)
Million Dollar Baby- (Boxing drama; Clint Eastwood, Hillary Swank)
When We Were Kings- (Documentary covering the classic Ali-Foreman fight)
Hoosiers- (Gene Hackman, definitive sports underdog story of high school hoops)
Rudy-(the "Rocky" of college football, especially great for Notre Dame fans)
Remember the Titans-(The "Hoosiers"of high school football)

Classics:

Rear Window- (Hitchcock, Jimmy Stewart, Grace Kelly)
To Have and Have Not-(to me this is the "thinking man's (or woman's) Casablanca"; chemistry better than Casablanca, and then you have the amazing Walter Brennan)
Was happy to see the Thin Man on a few lists!
many others already mentioned

Comedy:

Annie Hall- (Woody Allen before all the controversy)
Napoleon Dynamite- (one of a kind)
Monty Python and the Holy Grail (just can't duplicate this one)
O Brother, Where Art Thou? (Coen Brothers, great cast, George Clooney, Holly Hunter among many)
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (Coen Brothers, 2018)

Underrated:

Sophie's Choice (Meryl Streep, Kevin Cline)
Memento (Who is this Christopher Nolan guy anyway?)
The Prestige-(another Christopher Nolan great)
Good Will Hunting-( I know, it is well regarded, but still underrated in my view)
The Talented Mr. Ripley (Matt Damon again)
Gran Torino (Clint Eastwood)

The previous lists include most of the movies I'd put on my favorites list, but
How the West Was Won (1962) is also worth a mention.
Stars include Debbie Reynolds, Jimmy Stewart, George Peppard, Gregory Peck, Harry Morgan, Henry Fonda, Karl Malden, Walter Brennan, Robert Preston, Agnes Moorehead, Andy Devine and a small part by John Wayne.

A long time ago I saw a tag line somewhere that said "30% of my personality is from the last movie I watched". :LOL:

My A list (not necessarily in this order)

Apollo 13
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Cinderella Man
Clear and Present Danger
Dirty Harry
Fat Man and Little Boy
Forbidden Plant
Full Metal Jacket
Panic in the Year Zero
Sargent York
Shane
The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)
The Godfather
The Guardian (1984 Made for TV movie)
The Last of the Mohicans
Time Machine (2002)
Wall Street (2010 Money Never Sleeps)
We Were Soldiers

Last edited:
In no particular order (there are 11; do I get extra credit?) :popcorn:

The Station Agent
An American in Paris
Singing in the Rain
The Philadelphia Story
Bringing Up Baby
The Bookshop
You've Got Mail
Guess Who's Coming to Dinner
To Kill a Mockingbird
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
American Graffiti

I don't think any of these have been mentioned: Master and Commander, Cold Mountain, The Hunt for Red October, Pride and Prejudice,*** Howard's End, The Talented Mr. Ripley, The Departed, Shakespeare in Love***, The Madness of King George, Far from the Madding Crowd*** and The Color Purple.

*** thought hard about them!

And The Time Traveler’s Wife although I much prefer the book.

I have to add:
Life is Beautiful
Good morning Vietnam
Glory

You know the inspiring coach Jim Valvano in his speech at the Espy's, 1993, said, "What is a good day? If you laugh, if you think and if you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day."

Jimmy Valvano would have loved "Life is Beautiful" had he survived cancer and lived to see it. I wish I had put that on my list.

Casablanca
The Godfather
Dog Day Afternoon
Das Boot
Cool Hand Luke
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
The Deer Hunter
Unforgiven
A Streetcar Named Desire
Midnight Cowboy

I have to add:
Life is Beautiful
Roberto Benigni, I love this man.
This quote is hilarious. My DH is Italian.

[introducing Sophia Loren at a life-time award celebration] "When I hear the name Sophia, I jump and jump again because it's an explosion of life.. She is Italy and very Italian. When she moves, when she walks, all of Italy is walking. You can see Sicily, Tuscany, Lombardy move. Then Milan, Florence, Naples, the Leaning Tower of Pisa, the Colosseum, pizza, spaghetti, Toro, De Sica. She holds all these things and all these people inside"

And don't forget "Manos the Hands of Fate"

I'm a little surprised that nobody has brought up "Plan 9 From Outer Space", "The Creeping Terror", "Ishtar" or "Santa Claus Conquers the Martians". They may not be Hitchcock-quality, but under the right circumstances they might be a fun watch...

...except for "Ishtar". All the Glenfiddich in the world still wouldn't make that one watchable.

Mine for the most part are older. These aren't in any particular order...

Kelly's Heroes
Where Eagles Dare
The Quiet Man
McLintock
El Dorado
Paint Your Wagon
Young Frankenstein
My Big Fat Greek Wedding
Hatari
Hellfighters
Australia
Operation Petticoat
Luther

What? No love for Dr. Zhivago? Deliverance? Jaws?

Totally agree with Eastwood, Newman, and Redford movies. Was Bullitt mentioned?

When something is good it's good in its own way, and I never try to rank anything. But Dr. Zhivago is a favorite movie of mine due to the epic nature of the novel that the movie was based on.

A movie can be good, but it is rare that I enjoy something enough to seek it out and watch it multiple times. I first watched Dr. Zhivago as a kid in a theater, and much later in life sought it out in DVD and watched it again to catch up on some scenes that I might have missed.

Just 10 ?

In no particular order : Cool Hand Luke . The Good The Bad and The Ugly . Dr Strangelove . The Choirboys ( Wambaugh) . Men in Black 1 . Caddy Shack. A Soldiers Story . 2001 . Animal House . Office Space . In the Heat of the Night.

1. One flew over the Cukoos nest... [emoji3]
2. North by Northwest
3 . It’s a mad mad mad world
4. To Sir with Love
5. The Apartment
6. Kelly’s Hero’s (Dirty Dozen)
7. Good, Bad, & Ugly
8. Airport (George Kennedy & Dean Martin)
9. Pappilon
10. Rain Man

I

Last edited:
This thread got me thinking about a movie which I much liked but I couldn't remember the name. So I googled "Japanese movie animated cat turns into bus" and this came right up:

• My Neighbor Totoro (1988)

I ordered the DVD again from Netflix. I hope that it has a version in Japanese with English subtitles - I hate movies dubbed in English. :popcorn:

Franco Zeffirelli "Romeo and Juliet." I kept thinking "are you kidding me?" They missed the donkey on the way to give Romeo the message? She wakes up in the crypt missing Romeo killing himself within a few minutes, then she stabs herself!!!
I had to go see "A Midsummer Night's Dream" just to smile again.

When something is good it's good in its own way, and I never try to rank anything. But Dr. Zhivago is a favorite movie of mine due to the epic nature of the novel that the movie was based on.

A movie can be good, but it is rare that I enjoy something enough to seek it out and watch it multiple times. I first watched Dr. Zhivago as a kid in a theater, and much later in life sought it out in DVD and watched it again to catch up on some scenes that I might have missed.

Oh true - I did love Dr. Zhivago! Watched it several times.

Just want to second some others mentioned after I posted earlier.

Papillon
One Flew OverCuckoos Nest
Good, Bad & Ugly
Sound of Music
It’s a Wonderful Life

And another one I really liked not yet mentioned.
Marathon Man

Two movies I love watching with my little granddaughters that are in my top ten:

The Black Stallion
A Little Princess (Alfonso Cuaron’s version)

10 more

Lillies in the field

The Godfather

The Milagro Beanfield Wsr

Like water for chocolate

The Mask

Up in Smoke

From here to Eternity

Elvira Mistress of the Dark

Fargo

Kingpin

The Black Marble