Ten Favorite Movies of All Time

What? No love for Dr. Zhivago? Deliverance? Jaws?

Totally agree with Eastwood, Newman, and Redford movies. Was Bullitt mentioned?

Oh good idea! I didn't have anything for #9 and #10, but following your suggestion I'm putting Dr. Zhivago for #9 on my list, at least for now. And Lawrence of Arabia for #10.

I’m not a big movie buff but interesting to me is that of any movies that I come across while I’m flipping channels those with Tom Hanks are the few that I will watch more than once. I really like Big, Forest Gump, You’ve Got Mail, Sleepless in Seattle.

Others that were mentioned bring good memories. I may need to see if some of them are on Netflix.

I’m not a big movie buff but interesting to me is that of any movies that I come across while I’m flipping channels those with Tom Hanks are the few that I will watch more than once. I really like Big, Forest Gump, You’ve Got Mail, Sleepless in Seattle.

Others that were mentioned bring good memories. I may need to see if some of them are on Netflix.

I'm not a big movie buff either, to tell you the truth, but F is. I found a good list of the top 100 best movies of all time, on IMDb:

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls055592025/

I'm going to send it to him since he has Netflix and Amazon and Hulu and I think one other streaming service, which surely will give him access to all hundred. If he has missed seeing one he might enjoy it. :)

I'm a huge Clint Eastwood fan, but I'll just include one of his movies

The Good The Bad and The Ugly (in my lifetime I believe I have literally seen it over 200 times)
Forrest Gump
The Godfather
Alien
Once Upon a Time in the West
The Haunting (the original, not the Liam Neeson one)
Elephant Man

A very good list indeed by all. I would second Good Will Hunting as mentioned by zinger 1457. As I read the thread I was surprised it was not mentioned sooner. I do like several Robin Williams movies, but not all. Three Days of the Condor has been a favorite for many years as well as some of the westerns and action films mentioned. Most others that I can think of have been listed several times. Love Actually has become a favorite holiday movie. I think that I need to use this list to rewatch some of these favorites, although at times that can be disappointing.

God must be crazy, Part I, Godfather, Part I, Sanjuro, Singing in the rain, ...

Interesting, but not surprising, how we all have our own favorites.

Top Ten
1981 Raiders of the Lost Ark
1986 Ferris Bueller's Day Off
1988 A Fish Called Wanda
1991 Grand Canyon
1994 The Shawshank Redemption (my #1)
1996 A Time to Kill
1996 Michael
1999 The Sixth Sense
2000 Gladiator
2001 A Beautiful Mind

Honorable Mentions
1978 Animal House
1980 Caddyshack
1982 Ghandi
1987 The Untouchables
1988 Big
1988 Rainman
1988 Stand and Deliver
1990 The Hunt for Red October
1991 The Silence of the Lambs
1994 Forrest Gump
1994 True Lies
1995 Get Shorty
1995 Heat
1996 Phenomena
1997 Liar, Liar
1997 Men In Black
1998 Meet Joe Black
1999 Analyze This
2000 Memento
2000 Erin Brockovich
2000 Remember the Titans
2003 Bruce Almighty
2003 Pirates of the Caribbean
2006 The Illusionist
2007 The Brave One
2010 Inception
2012 Silver Linings Playbook
2015 Ex Machina
2018 A Star Is Born
2018 The Green Book

Last edited:
Couldn't stick to 10. A few have not been mentioned.

Alien & Aliens
Black Hawk Down
Bonnie and Clyde (1967)
A Bridge Too Far
Dances With Wolves
Dangerous Liaisons (1988)
Henry V (2003)
Inception
Jaws
The Last of the Mohicans (1992)
The Lion in Winter
Lord of the Rings
The Matrix
Meet Joe Black
The Music Man
On Golden Pond
Out of Africa
Planet of the Apes (1968)
Risky Business
Saving Private Ryan
Serenity
Sense and Sensibility (1995)
The Wrath of Khan
Top Gun
12 Angry Men

And my #10 is:

• Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937)

:greetings10::popcorn:

Last edited:
I'm not a big movie buff either, to tell you the truth, but F is. I found a good list of the top 100 best movies of all time, on IMDb:

That’s a good resource. I haven’t looked at it in a while but the last time I did, Shawshank scored way up there. I remember posting a still from that film here (e-r.org) on my last day of work (in a “Class of...” post).

There were a lot of polls during Y2K covering best American films of the 20th century and a special aired by the American Film Institute.

Maybe some adventurous person will tally up the totals here.

[ADDED] Here is the site for various lists compiled by AFI:

https://www.afi.com/100Years/

Last edited:
Whoa! I need to go back and re watch

This will keep me busy for years. There are so many 5* movies listed I've forgotten. What an explosion of excellent films. I'll be hibernating until May vacation.

Also, anything with Cagney, Bogart, or the Duke

I don't want to repeat movies that have been mentioned already, such as The Lord of the Rings ( no surprise there, eh? :D ) or The Godfather.

Each of the following 10 favorites demonstrates at least one outstanding characteristic in filmmaking*:

The Magnificent Seven (best theme music ever)
Big Jake (best "waning days of the Old West" concept)
Planes, Trains & Automobiles (best non-Christmas holiday movie)
Wonder Woman (best superhero movie because it favors plot over action)
Back to the Future (best time travel paradox)
The Terminator (best thriller, plus brilliant time travel paradox)
Borat (best candid camera movie)
American Graffiti (best use of soundtrack)
The Exorcist (greatest horror concept possible)
Fiddler on the Roof (best Musical)

I know these are among my favorites because I have watched them time and time again.

* Notice how I used the word "filmmaking"? I'm such a geek! You folks will never know how fiercely I had to restrain myself from hijacking the thread into a discussion of abstruse movie topics of interest to no one else: character, motivation, lighting, foley, staging, etc. No wonder I'm a thread killer!

* Notice how I used the word "filmmaking"? I'm such a geek! You folks will never know how fiercely I had to restrain myself from hijacking the thread into a discussion of abstruse movie topics of interest to no one else: character, motivation, lighting, foley, staging, etc. No wonder I'm a thread killer!
Stop that! Mdlerth.

Great lists! I have many of the same and several I've forgotten about to re-watch.:popcorn:
Here's one my favorites I don't think has been listed: Ben Hur with Charlton Heston.

Almost everything I would have chosen has already been listed so let me just add:
Repo Man ( wall-to-wall quotable lines )

Field of Dreams
The Champ - never ever cried so much
Ole Yeller
The Postman Always Rings Twice
Pride of the Yankees - and I hate the Yankees

I can think some so far though it's been a really long time since I've watched a movie and in general I'm just not really into them. I prefer series.

The Illusionist
Chocolat
Out of Africa
Like Water for Chocolate
Contact

In no particular order:

- The Game
- Dazed and Confused
- Animal House
- Casablanca
- The Matrix
- Meet Joe Black
- Crossroads
- The Thin Man
- The Big Lebowski
- Inception

Difficult to narrow it down to just ten! Honorable mention:
- Memento
- The American President
- The Replacements
- Clerks
- Swingers
- Dogma
- White Noise
- Final Destination
- The Ring
- American Beauty
- Groundhog Day
- The Jerk
- Caddyshack
- The Usual Suspects

The Ten Commandments,
A Christmas Story,
It's a mad mad mad mad world, Ghost, Caddyshack, It's a Wonderful Life, The Graduate, Scent of a Woman, Animal House, Jaws, The Godfather, Cape Fear, The Shining, Dirty Harry, Philadelphia, A Few Good Men, Risky Business, Under the Tuscan Sun, The Blues Brothers, Wall Street, The Witches of Eastwick, Guilty as Sin, The Hand That Rocks the Cradle, Dog Day Afternoon, Full Metal Jacket, Alien

Last edited:
I don't think any of these have been mentioned: Master and Commander, Cold Mountain, The Hunt for Red October, Pride and Prejudice, Howard's End, The Talented Mr. Ripley, The Departed, Shakespeare in Love, The Madness of King George, Far from the Madding Crowd and The Color Purple.

Cool lists-thread. Several good ones I’d forgotten that I’ll add to my list, thanks!

And a couple guilty pleasures like Captain Ron - a classic for sailors, especially with a couple rum & cokes...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom