What new series are you watching? *No Spoilers, Please*

Just finished the first season of "How to Get Away with Murder" - Viola Davis is such a great actor!!

PBS series "Miss Scarlet and the Duke" (cute); the latest incarnation of "All Creatures Great and Small" (heartwarming); and "The Long Song" (a powerful different take on slavery in Jamaica).

Also, we're been watching some of the early first season episodes of "Star Trek: The Next Generation" which somehow I missed the first go around.

Anyone else watching Capitani on Netflix? Quick summary from one online review:
Created by Thierry Faber, Capitani is set in the village of Manscheid in northern Luxembourg, where the body of a teenage girl was found in the surrounding forest. Detective Luc Capitani (played by Luc Schiltz) is assigned to the case. However, the detective is not from the village and thus needs the help of the local police, and in particular, policewoman Elsa Ley (played by Sophie Mousel), who personally knows everyone involved in the investigation—it's a small village.
It's really very good if you like detective shows and don't mind subtitles. Also interesting to hear the weird mix of French, German and English the locals speak! It's a bit like those dangerous small English villages where murder is an everyday occurrence..

I get DVD's from the library, usually a year behind or so but that doesn't bother me its free. I just added yellowstone season 1-3 to my list. Might take a few months to get them but I have a lot of items already in my list.

nobody does that. That’s good enough for me.

What do you mean "nobody does that'? I get many DVDs from the library and have watched many movies and TV series that way.

Muir was responding to a post by someone literally named "nobody." :blush:

We wrapped up "Your Honor" (Showtime) a couple of nights ago...and WOW. That was an incredible series. I am very hopeful there is a follow up season.

On the other side of the coin, we watched a docuseries on Netflix called, "Crime Scene: The Vanishing at the Cecil Hotel" Well... IMBD gave it a 6/10 and scored 57% on Rotten Tomatoes. If I was scoring it...I would have given it 0/10 and 0%...yes, it was THAT BAD. Adding insult to injury, I can't get those 4 hours of my life back. Even worse, Ron Howard was a producer.
Thanks for the advice- will give Cecil a pass! Your Honor was one of the few shows we wait d for the next episode. This Is Us is another.

Last edited:
We wrapped up "Your Honor" (Showtime) a couple of nights ago...and WOW. That was an incredible series. I am very hopeful there is a follow up season.

I'm pretty sure that was the end of it, no reason for another season.

Halfway through season three of Beck, still enjoying it.

I am boring. Most nights I watch an episode of the BBC gameshow Pointless on Youtube and then a lecture of the history of Eastern Europe on The Great Courses from Amazon Prime. Usually one of the cats keeps me company while I am watching them.

DW and I are enjoying Mad Men, and just started Season 3. Once we got to know the characters the episodes are really something we look forward to, although the free version on Amazon with commercials is annoying.

For me OLD is NEW. I recently watched a few old Rifleman episodes on Pluto TV and found many old episodes of "The Herculoids" and " Jonny Quest" on Internet Archive web site. All from Saturday morning cartoon days of the mid 60's. They were on CBS because we only got 2 tv channels when I was a kid and one was CBS and the other was Public tv.

Also the every episode of "the Fugitive" is on Internet archive. I watch an episode of Fugitive about every month. Also found a bunch old "Alfred Hitchcock presents on You Tube's Public domain TV channel. I am not a binge watcher I can only watch maybe 1 or 2 episodes every week. We do have netflix but I rarely watch it..once I saw all the episodes of Twilight Zone I lost interest in Netflix, my wife watches stuff on there from time to time mostly documentaries.

Last edited:
More shows should do that. Plan for one or two good seasons, give us a good ending and get out. Too many shows get good ratings and they try to keep them going and they just get more ridiculous as they go because the writers are pretty much out of ideas.
Scandal on ABC was like that... initially very good but later just plain ridiculous.

Just finished Trackers. 6 Part Mini Series about the South African equivalent of the C.I.A. investigating a potential Terrorist Threat. Interesting how things intertwine.

Just finished Trackers. 6 Part Mini Series about the South African equivalent of the C.I.A. investigating a potential Terrorist Threat. Interesting how things intertwine.

Haven't (yet) seen the show, but you may enjoy the Deon Meyer books on which some of it might be/is based:

https://www.deonmeyer.com/bio.html

Last edited:
Scandal on ABC was like that... initially very good but later just plain ridiculous.

House of Cards on Netflix was the same way. A few good years, then it got repetitive and silly.

The British version, which the American one was taken from, was about 12 episodes total. It was very good, and it had a very interesting ending. Even if a person watched the American version, the British original is worth watching.

Last edited:
Recently finished Schitts Creek, just started Grace and Frankie.

Big Little Lies - maybe this is a chic TV show, but it's with a star-studded cast (Nicole Kidman, Reese Weatherspoon, Laura Dern, Alexander Skarsgård and Meryl Streep joins in Season 3) and it did not disappoint! It involves a lie, murder, and some mystery...

I watched that. I watch very little when it comes to TV series, but it looked like something I could get watched relatively quickly without a long term commitment. I liked it pretty well. However, there were only 2 seasons, not 3.

I watched The Haunting of Hill House last October, which I liked pretty well, also.

Last edited:
Anyone else watch Counterpart on Amazon prime video? I think it’s originally on Starz..pretty interesting series...

Enjoying season 4 of Fargo on Hulu. Some bizarre characters but that goes with the franchise. Enjoyable

Anyone else watch Counterpart on Amazon prime video? I think it’s originally on Starz..pretty interesting series...

We watched it on Starz until it just disappeared with no resolution. I hate when shows I like do that. Happened with Evil, too, as well as some others. And now I'm worried about Firefly Lane, since that ended with some massive cliffhangers.

I've gotten to the point where I don't want to watch a series unless it has more than one or two seasons.

I've been watching My Holo Love on Netflix, a lightweight South Korean rom-com. I watch it mainly for the exposure to South Korean culture (also, the lead actress is cute :) ).

I originally thought that there was an outrageously overdone case of product placement in the series: "Hite Extra Cold" beer. However, after googling the product maybe it's not so overdone after all. I have always viewed alcohol as a toxic chemical (great as a disinfectant; not for human consumption, though :nonono: ), so I can't be expected to know anything about Korean beer. :popcorn:

Thanks for this. Not the greatest thriller ever made but highly entertaining. A good look at a street level spy story from lots of different angles.

Amazing scenery, it would make a pretty good tourist advert for Cape Town !
Also decent writing and mostly good acting.

And for once the final episode was if anything the best of the series. Usually the way things go these days the endings are weak. A nice change !

Some good news on some very popular series resuming their latest season:

The Walking Dead season 10 resumes 2/28/21 or streams now on AMC+

South Park season 24 resumes 3/10/21 with the "Vaccination Special". If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend that you watch the "Pandemic Special" episode from last September.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom