What new series are you watching? *No Spoilers, Please*

I agree that the show was well done as for the cinematography and sound and acting, but it was too much like Lost with too many loose ends and too much mysterious intrigue and unexplainable shocking scenes at the expense of a coherent storyline. The reveal of those mysterious moments never materialize. I felt I was burned by Lost because of it and I felt burned by this as well.

Well, you liked it and many other people did too, so I guess it shows we're all different. (I'm glad for you though!)

Lost suffered from too much time between seasons and the story became way too complex. we gave up on it after a few seasons.

Cedar Cove on the Hallmark channel started last week.
Nice family scenes and beautiful scenery.

I don't get it... what's the problem?

The original post I responded to contained a huge spoiler.

After my response, the original post was edited and the spoiler removed - probably by a moderator.

can you see this?
Hmm, no spoiler tag buttons.
Maybe that could be implemented?

Yup that was me, I wanted to remove the part that would have continued the spoil, but leave up the rest of your post. I too have been spoiled by this thread. Something I was actually watching, and a few weeks behind, and someone posted "wow didn't expect they were gonna abcxyz!"

So hopefully that's obvious why it's a problem. If you were recommending a show to a friend would you tell them how it ends? No! So, no spoilers, kinda basic rule o' internets.

And sorry, there's no way in the forum sw to do a spoiler tag, we've looked into it already.

Yup that was me, I wanted to remove the part that would have continued the spoil, but leave up the rest of your post. I too have been spoiled by this thread. Something I was actually watching, and a few weeks behind, and someone posted "wow didn't expect they were gonna abcxyz!"

So hopefully that's obvious why it's a problem. If you were recommending a show to a friend would you tell them how it ends? No! So, no spoilers, kinda basic rule o' internets.

And sorry, there's no way in the forum sw to do a spoiler tag, we've looked into it already.

Thanks for removing it!

And I think I saw the spoiler you mention above too. It sounds very familiar. :mad:

I'm enjoying "Raising Dion" on Netflix - about a young boy being raised by a single mom and trying to fit in in a new school. Then he finds he has 'superpowers'. It's not sci-fi, not superhero stuff, just a cute family drama about a mother and son trying to figure things out.

Lost suffered from too much time between seasons and the story became way too complex. we gave up on it after a few seasons.
Yeah, the last season was like that for me a little bit, but as for the earlier seasons, I binge-watched, so no problem there.

As I'm getting older, watching a show every week (instead of binge-watching) has become more painful because I tend to forget!

We are signing up for Apple TV Plus to watch Ted Lasso (everyone we know recommends that show, including our pastor!). While we have the Apple TV Plus subscription what other series or movies on Apple TV Plus do people recommend?

On AppleTV+ we enjoyed Tehran, Amazing Stories (but not every episode), The Morning Show, and the movie The Banker. For some reason Ted Lasso didn’t grab us, but we seem to be in the minority. Greyhound with Tom Hanks was good for effects but shallow in character development and story, IMHO.

We let the service expire when it was no longer free. I might pick it up again later.

Came across a documentary series on HBO called "Small Town News KPVM Pahrum"; we have seen a couple of shows and it's quite entertaining so far.

Small Town News KPVM Pahrump is a six-part, half-hour documentary series that pulls back the curtain on life at a privately owned TV station in the small desert town of Pahrump, Nevada, revealing a colorful cast of characters in front of and behind the cameras.

https://www.hbo.com/small-town-news-kpvm-pahrump

Also have heard a lot about "Reservation Dogs" that is on FX (for Hulu). We watched one episode and I think it's pretty good too.

From Co-Creators and Executive Producers Sterlin Harjo and Taika Waititi, Reservation Dogs is a half-hour comedy that follows the exploits of four Indigenous teenagers in rural Oklahoma who steal, rob and save in order to get to the exotic, mysterious and faraway land of California.

https://www.fxnetworks.com/shows/reservation-dogs

On AppleTV+ we enjoyed Tehran, Amazing Stories (but not every episode), The Morning Show, and the movie The Banker. For some reason Ted Lasso didn’t grab us, but we seem to be in the minority. Greyhound with Tom Hanks was good for effects but shallow in character development and story, IMHO.

We let the service expire when it was no longer free. I might pick it up again later.

I can understand the appeal of Ted Lasso - it's uplifting for sure and is kind of new/different, but I hear you - Although I think it's good, I'm not enjoying it as much as some other people who are rather enthusiastic about it. We put our thumbs down for Greyhound as well. I did enjoy The Morning Show. We definitely enjoyed the Banker. I really liked Mosquito Coast (a bit like Ozark and Breaking Bad.) - Can't wait for Season 2.

Two big thumbs up from us - Palmer (film) with Justin Timberlake. It's a great redemption story that probably speaks to everyone.

I should try Tehran...

Last edited:
Every single time I refer to this thread for suggestions on what to watch, I find posts like this from people. I give up. Totally ruins it for people who haven't seen the show(s) yet. Every single time.

You’re kidding, right? I fail to see any spoilers in my post you linked. Sorry you were so aggrieved to single me out.

You’re kidding, right? I fail to see any spoilers in my post you linked. Sorry you were so aggrieved to single me out.

There was a spoiler. I edited it out.

Let's move on, please.

Same here….and Truth Be Told is a great new series on Apple+TV or whatever it’s called. Some shows are on multiple services. Is it rude if I don’t list them all? Google does a pretty good job of that.

I’m watching new season of Animal Kingdom (on TNT I think). ..EDITED OUT….

Just received notice that season 2 of Truth Be Told is available on Apple+TV. It seems I am breaking the rules here so I better just stay out of this thread from now on.

We are signing up for Apple TV Plus to watch Ted Lasso (everyone we know recommends that show, including our pastor!). While we have the Apple TV Plus subscription what other series or movies on Apple TV Plus do people recommend?

Like what other said I loved Tehran and the Morning Show..Still not sure if I love Mosquito Coast, felt like that it has too many coincidences…someone else mentioned the Servant so I’ll need to check that one out.

Just watched the first two episodes of Ted Lasso on Apple TV plus. A little too much vulgar language but otherwise I loved it and will continue watching. It is great to see a funny show.

For those of you who like Ted Lasso, I bet you would like Friday Night Lights, one of the best sports TV series ever. Not sure where it is streaming right now, maybe Netflix.

On my to watch list:
Call the midwife, Janet King, Unforgotten, Lewis, Morse, Endeavour
We have watched the last 4. Still haven't gotten to Call the Midwife or Janet King. We enjoyed the others.

I have been a fan of so many classic series it would fill a book. From the 50's to the 90's. Yet I really can't name any series or program that has grabbed my attention in at least the last ten years. So with all that said what new or recent series is anyone watching or would recommend giving it a try?

I am a bit tired of the old shows and would like to think there is something worth while I am missing. It could be comedy, drama, adventure, I don't care as long as it is entertaining and on a cable network or regular OTA TV network. Any suggestions?

OTA or cable network? So done with that and cut the cord years ago. Besides Netflix, Hulu and Amazon are far out spending the networks on good TV. Broadcast spends their money on sports and faux reality to get the ads and if they do have anything good I can usually find it streaming somewhere

But if you want to see some amazing television catch Sense8 on Netflix. Complicated, challenging, visually amazing well acted, scripted and directed

I am a like a broken record recommending Call the Midwife, in my opinion one of the best shows ever. One of the most popular BBC shows, starting the 11th season. Set in 1950s London, about Catholic nuns and midwives who help poor families. There are a lot of babies born, my DH just closes his eyes on the short squeamish parts, but I love seeing babies born.

Back
Top Bottom