What new series are you watching? *No Spoilers, Please*

I can't remember what Scarface was like, but Breaking bad gets pretty violent.

I'm watching The Mosquito Coast (with Justin Theroux whom I like. Leftovers was excellent.) on Apple+ TV and I'm enjoying it a lot. A bit like Breaking Bad and Ozark combined with a little MacGyver thrown in, with tons of thrilling moments. I've just signed up for Apple+ TV and I am shocked to see so many good actors/actresses and many shows I'm interested in watching. There aren't that many shows, but many shows look to be very well made. They all look like Apple exclusives.

Last edited:
I have always wanted to watch Breaking Bad; heard so many good things about this series. Only one question: I am very afraid of watching anything violent so is this series about as violent as the movie Scarsface? Because I could NOT handle Scarsface so if the violence is on par with the movie Scarsface I won't be able to handle Breaking Bad. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Breaking Bad is excellent. But I predict it is too much for your tolerance level.

Perhaps give it a try?

Me and 18yo daughter both consider it our #1 favorite.

I have always wanted to watch Breaking Bad; heard so many good things about this series. Only one question: I am very afraid of watching anything violent so is this series about as violent as the movie Scarsface? Because I could NOT handle Scarsface so if the violence is on par with the movie Scarsface I won't be able to handle Breaking Bad. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Yes but I think the most cover-your-eyes stuff is earlier in the series. It's not so much gore, but yes rather violent. I covered my eyes a fair bit for short spots. But I still found it to be one of the best shows ever.

Yes but I think the most cover-your-eyes stuff is earlier in the series. It's not so much gore, but yes rather violent. I covered my eyes a fair bit for short spots. But I still found it to be one of the best shows ever.

I agree one of those rare series that improved as it aged. So much character development. However it is about drug dealers so not sure how someone would it expect it not to have violence in it.

I've just signed up for Apple+ TV and I am shocked to see so many good actors/actresses and many shows I'm interested in watching. There aren't that many shows, but many shows look to be very well made. They all look like Apple exclusives.

+1 We got a year of Apple+ with our recent iPad purchase and have really been enjoying the shows there, particularly the uplifting “Ted Lasso”, somewhat goofy “Schmigadoon”, and space drama “For All Mankind”. We hadn’t planned to subscribe but since it was “free”, we are enjoying it for now. Not sure if we will renew after the year is up though.

I just finished "Giri / HaJi" (Duty / Shame) on Netflix streaming and really liked it.
It's set in Tokyo and London, and involves a Tokyo detective sent to London to look for someone. It involves some Tokyo based crime organizations which I found a little confusing, but it's a really well done series with really good characters. The dialog is about half Japanese and half English.

I've enjoyed seasons 25 and 26 of The Bill on Britbox.... rl good story lines and character development.

+1 We got a year of Apple+ with our recent iPad purchase and have really been enjoying the shows there, particularly the uplifting “Ted Lasso”, somewhat goofy “Schmigadoon”, and space drama “For All Mankind”. We hadn’t planned to subscribe but since it was “free”, we are enjoying it for now. Not sure if we will renew after the year is up though.

I've been enjoying Schmigadoon as well (quirky musical). I see several SNL actors/actresses in it. A friend of mine told me to watch Ted Lasso so that's on my list. There aren't that many shows there, so you may be able to finish most of them within one year (but of course, YMMV.) I'm now watching The Morning Show with Jennifer Aniston and Reese Witherspoon. I like it. So far, I am finding more things I want to watch here than on Netflix, and it's cheaper, so I should stop paying for Netflix until I'm done with Apple+ TV.

Season 1 of Clarkson's Farm on Prime. Jeremy Clarkson (the auto guy) owns a huge farm in England and decides to farm it himself for a year. Very entertaining.

I'm enjoying the White Lotus on HBO. It's basically a dark comedy, a bit of a farce, with some great characters (also terrible people). A little raunchy here and there, but with Connie Britton, Jennifer Coolidge, and Molly Shannon, I can't go wrong. I think the first five are released and there is only one more next week but not 100% sure.

I would add "Call the Midwife" on Netflix.

One of my favorites. It is also on PBS Passport ($5 per month). There are now 10 seasons and at least one more planned. I have watched all 10 seasons twice.
There are some scenes of babies being born but they are short--DH just closes his eyes.

Season 1 of Clarkson's Farm on Prime. Jeremy Clarkson (the auto guy) owns a huge farm in England and decides to farm it himself for a year. Very entertaining.
hmmmm....a business man buys a farm. where have we seen that plot before?
:LOL:

"The White Lotus" continues to enthrall. Great performances from everyone. Definitely not for everyone. Also "Never Have I Ever." I don't know why I like these shows with teenage protagonists. Maybe the 35 years of teaching high school.

"The White Lotus" continues to enthrall. Great performances from everyone. Definitely not for everyone. Also "Never Have I Ever." I don't know why I like these shows with teenage protagonists. Maybe the 35 years of teaching high school.

Definitely not for everyone. I thought it was awful and quit after two episodes

hmmmm....a business man buys a farm. where have we seen that plot before?
:LOL:

He has actually owned the land/farm for years but decided to do the farming himself after the guy who used to rent the land from him retired or something like that. For those familiar with his antics on TopGear and GrandTour this series will feel familiar. One thing I have to applaud him is that he actually did all the manual labor works himself and actually enjoyed it. If you watch TG and GT you’ll know that he’s not in the best shape physically, to put it mildly, so I’m surprised he was able to pull it off. Overall quite an entertaining series.

We watched the first two episodes of “Reservation Dogs” on Hulu/FX and would recommend it! It’s a comedy about a group of Native American teens who turn to a life of crime to fund their dream of moving away from the reservation. Hijinks ensue.

Taika Waititi (Thor, What We Do In The Shadows) is one of the producers.

Only drawback is that you have to wait a week for the next episode; I think it airs weekly on FX in addition to being available on Hulu.

DW just started Departure on Peacock.

"Evil" originally on CBS, now on Paramount Plus network.

A forensic psychologist, a priest in training, and a technical wiz investigate strange occurrences for the Catholic church. Demon possession, prophecy, miracles, etc. Obviously the priest is a believer, the psychologist is skeptical (though somewhat open minded) and the technical guy is a firm unbeliever using logic and science to explain things.

The show has an X-Files vibe to it in that the characters have divergent viewpoints on their approach to their investigations. The acting is top notch and the writing is intelligent and very good. Produced by the same people that did "The Good Wife".

I'm halfway through Season 1 and I will be watching Season 2.

Definitely not for everyone. I thought it was awful and quit after two episodes

Hah, well I won't tell you "oh keep going it gets better!" you've given it plenty. I think it's one of those shows to love or hate, but you'll know by the end of the first episode which it is for you.

Just finished the last season of Unforgotten. Very good but I won’t reveal the ending.

I’ve been watching Victorian Farm on Acorn which is a “reality” documentary where three people live on a farm like it’s the 1880s, but without the drama of American reality shows. The participants are actual historians so it’s quite educational. There’s another series where they do a farm in WWII, which I’m looking forward to.

Don’t know how new the series is. “Bang” on Acorn. Police show set in Wales with all sorts of inter- and intra- family entanglements and intrigues. Have watched Season 1 (8 episodes). The 2nd season (have watched only the first episode) appears to be a brand new crime/mystery but still involves some characters from the first season. Subtitles for the combination Welsh and English dialogue. (I don’t know the proper term for dialogue that mixes these two languages together - the UK counterpart to Spanglish, I suppose.) it only gets 2 1/2 stars in Acorn rating. I think it’s better than that but not exceptionally so - maybe 3 1/2 stars.

Last edited:
We just finished Atypical. Interesting show, we're not the intended audience but it was still pretty good, even though most of the cast wasn't exactly likable.

Started Outer Banks. Funny enough, it's also "interesting" but for a younger crowd and the cast is full of "eye candy" but they are not a likable group either.

Both on Netflix.

Back
Top Bottom