What new series are you watching? *No Spoilers, Please*

Mini series on Netflix: Anatomy of a Scandal

British Crime/Political/Family story, ok, but not particularly great. Too bad, as the cast is very watchable (Sienna Miller, Michelle-Downton-Dockery, Rupert Friend).

C+

I am halfway through the series Annika, on Amazon via PBS Masterpiece. I am enjoying it very much.

The lead is the always-wonderful Nicola Walker. :)

I finally got HBO, and have started in belatedly on Succession. At first I thought of the obvious comparison to Dallas, but Succession lacks a "moral center," aka "good guy" like Bobby in D. Does a soap opera need a good guy? I also read some reviews comparing it to King Lear - well, I'll see how that develops.

What it reminded me of were some of the Charles Dickens over-the-top novels about greed and self-destruction. These Succession characters are caricatures. You can imagine them having jokey names like those Dickens assigned to his characters (Jarndyce, e.g.)

I've only seen a couple of episodes, but some of the acting is great, and I'm looking forward to more. I wonder if I will get tired of Miserable Mega-Rich People?

*Additional note - where is the drinking? Surely it will show up. Was there any 4 hour stretch of time in Dallas where the guys didn't end up with a drink in hand? Or is drinking really absent from the 21st century mega-rich workplace suites?

Last edited:
Started NCIS HI, dumped it. Not very good IOHO, however we are spoilt with UK and Canadian Crime Dramas.

Watched first episode of "The Split" Season 3, we tolerated Seasons 1 and 2 because of Nicola Walker, but decided we were not into divorce lawyer stuff.

Started Coroner Season 4 much better.

Just finished the final episodes of Ozark. This whole series was a well constructed story that kept viewers guessing and being shocked by the turns and twists.
The ending was equally dramatic and satisfying For its conclusion of the major storylines and characters.

Now that the full final season has “dropped” it would be a good time for those who were waiting to start the full 14- part season 4. It was well worth the wait.

Just finished the final episodes of Ozark. This whole series was a well constructed story that kept viewers guessing and being shocked by the turns and twists.
The ending was equally dramatic and satisfying For its conclusion of the major storylines and characters.

Now that the full final season has “dropped” it would be a good time for those who were waiting to start the full 14- part season 4. It was well worth the wait.

Oh wow I had no idea the last 7 episodes where released on the 29th. I guess I know what I will be doing all day tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up.

Thanks! I'm planning to sign up for NETFLIX again once my Apple TV+ sub expires in a few weeks. Hopefully, I have more than just Ozark to watch on NETFLIX by then.

Started NCIS HI, dumped it. Not very good IOHO, however we are spoilt with UK and Canadian Crime Dramas.

Watched first episode of "The Split" Season 3, we tolerated Seasons 1 and 2 because of Nicola Walker, but decided we were not into divorce lawyer stuff.

Started Coroner Season 4 much better.

Thanks, I didn't know Season 4 of Coroner was already out. I watched the first 3 and I really enjoyed the show. I think I can sign up for CBC Gem for 30 days for free.

Enjoying Julia on HBO based on Julia Child, very well done.

Mini series on Netflix: Anatomy of a Scandal

British Crime/Political/Family story, ok, but not particularly great. Too bad, as the cast is very watchable (Sienna Miller, Michelle-Downton-Dockery, Rupert Friend).

C+

Yeah was okay. Could have been much better.

Finished watching "Wecrashed" yesterday. About Adam Neumann and Wework. Pretty good series. Now on to the next 7 Ozarks.

DS introduced me to the IT Crowd several years ago when I was visiting him but we didn't have Netflix until last year so I never finished watching it. It's a nerdy British comedy series about an IT department. I felt the need to laugh out loud so watched a couple of episodes recently and it did the trick. Of course, since I spent my career in IT, it's especially funny, but those of you who have ever called a help desk will also relate.

We just finished all the episodes of the IT Crowd. Laugh out loud funny. There just aren't enough good comedies. We'll miss not having it to break up the dramas.

Going back to 2015, when I discovered Ben Mendelsohn, the series "Bloodline" still stands out. Sissy Spacek and Kyle Chandler also star. It's a dramatic thriller that explores the secrets behind a "normal family" in the Florida Keys.

Since then, I have watched anything with Ben Mendelsohn's name attached.

I used to be a big Star Trek fan, now I'm kind of ambivalent. I started "Picard" season 2 on Paramount + network. If you buy into the premise of the plot you should enjoy it. I said to myself I wouldn't watch S2 after watching S1, but I'm liking S2 so far.

"The Offer" on Paramount+ is really good especially if you liked the movie "The Godfather" and like the series format of the Sopranos.

I finally got HBO, and have started in belatedly on Succession. At first I thought of the obvious comparison to Dallas, but Succession lacks a "moral center," aka "good guy" like Bobby in D. Does a soap opera need a good guy? I also read some reviews comparing it to King Lear - well, I'll see how that develops.

What it reminded me of were some of the Charles Dickens over-the-top novels about greed and self-destruction. These Succession characters are caricatures. You can imagine them having jokey names like those Dickens assigned to his characters (Jarndyce, e.g.)

I've only seen a couple of episodes, but some of the acting is great, and I'm looking forward to more. I wonder if I will get tired of Miserable Mega-Rich People?

Succession is one of the very best TV shows of the past 5-10 years. IMHO, it gets better and better with each season. Yes, it's filled with petty, miserable, uber-wealthy characters, but the writing and acting are absolutely top notch and the stories/plots are very entertaining. If you're anything like me, you will NOT get tired of these characters.

*Additional note - where is the drinking? Surely it will show up. Was there any 4 hour stretch of time in Dallas where the guys didn't end up with a drink in hand? Or is drinking really absent from the 21st century mega-rich workplace suites?

There's a fair amount of drinking in the show, from my recollection, but it's somewhat more "refined" due to the mega-billionaire lifestyles. Mostly very high end wine, consumed in copious quantities at parties, etc. Not much of the "Jack and Coke"-type drinking you'd see in shows set in the American South.

I just started Midnight Mass on Netflix, two episodes in so far. Interesting story, kind of spooky and creepy, but very slow to develop... especially for a 7-episode limited series! Will give it at least a couple more chances before deciding whether to finish it.

I just started Midnight Mass on Netflix, two episodes in so far. Interesting story, kind of spooky and creepy, but very slow to develop... especially for a 7-episode limited series! Will give it at least a couple more chances before deciding whether to finish it.

Don't give up. It gets much more creepy!

Starz - “Gaslit” series just started. It’s fabulous. Episode 2 was very exciting!

It’s about the outspoken Martha Mitchell (Julia Roberta) wife of US Attorney John General Mitchell (Sean Penn) at the time of the Watergate break-in. Period history larger than life with comedic overtones.

Starz - “Gaslit” series just started. It’s fabulous. Episode 2 was very exciting!

It’s about the outspoken Martha Mitchell (Julia Roberta) wife of US Attorney John General Mitchell (Sean Penn) at the time of the Watergate break-in. Period history larger than life with comedic overtones.

Everybody thought Martha Mitchell was a bit of a crackpot when she ranted and raved about what was going on in the White House. IIRC, she was right.

Tokyo Vice - It's a new police show on HBO Max set in Tokyo. Young American journalist true story it's based on. I think it's excellent.

Tokyo Vice - It's a new police show on HBO Max set in Tokyo. Young American journalist true story it's based on. I think it's excellent.

IMDB lists the languages spoken as Japanese and English but Japanese is listed first. so..mostly Japanese, some Japanese, 50/50, mostly English? we hate dubbing but can tolerate CC.

IMDB lists the languages spoken as Japanese and English but Japanese is listed first. so..mostly Japanese, some Japanese, 50/50, mostly English? we hate dubbing but can tolerate CC.

No dubbing, it's CC. It's an excellent show. I strongly recommend giving it a try.

Back
Top Bottom