What new series are you watching? *No Spoilers, Please*

I also like the fact that the cast is extremely diverse. I have zero issue with that as I believe it will reflect our reality in 200 years.

Well....I don't know. The only white male in the entire episode was Captain Pike. Does that seem realistic?

Well....I don't know. The only white male in the entire episode was Captain Pike. Does that seem realistic?

Spock? Vulcans have races, that's established. Spock is white Vulcan.

Some cast still haven't shown up.

And there is someone I can't mention due to a very significant spoiler.

Spock? Vulcans have races, that's established. Spock is white Vulcan.

Some cast still haven't shown up.

And there is someone I can't mention due to a very significant spoiler.

You mean that lieutenant with the moustache that showed up at the end of the episode?

Watched first episode of Strange New worlds last night. Liked it. I'm especially pleased that they seem to be taking the approach of stand-alone episodes. It looks like there might be a story-arc involving a couple of characters, which is great, so long as it doesn't dominate the storytelling.

I have some reservations, though nothing that is off-putting.

Captain Pike seems a bit flippant. Cracking jokes, being sarcastic, almost smug. Doesn't seem consistent with his (known) future.

Once again, there seems to be a need for the writers to be self-indulgent with references to other Star Trek canon. The Star Wars franchise is afflicted with this malady as well. How about just a story without having to tie characters from other shows into it? It's a big universe out there and I doubt that these two dozen or so people interact with each other. Also, I noticed one of the ships in SNW was named after a character from an earlier Star Trek series. This is the sort of self-indulgent stuff that I'm talking about.

Will continue watching.

I tend to agree that the coincidental naming often seem unrealistic. But, sometimes that add a bit of sense to the plot.

The best one I remember was the story about the Native Americans who were being driven off their now colonized planet by Cardassians. They asked for Picard's help because he had an ancestor who abused the pueblo natives when Europeans colonized the area.

Javier Maribona-Picard was a soldier with the Spanish Empire at the time and participated in the brutal reprisals against the tribes ten years later. His actions created a debt of honor in his family which Anthwara cited to Jean-Luc Picard nearly seven hundred years later. ( TNG: " Journey's End ")

Also watched ST Strange New World and enjoyed it. Hopefully it'll keep up the feel of the original series.
I've been watching "Black Summer" on Netflix. It should be renamed What NOT to do in a zombie apocalypse. So far in 4 episodes there are no heroes, just kinda normal people with no survival skills.

I agree about the feel of STSNW, and enjoyed watching it.

The first episode of Black Summer was stellar IMO. I loved the way they shot it with the criss-crossing interactions.

So much good content if you can open the door to streaming.

Breaking Bad, Sopranos, The Wire, Game of Thrones
Vikings
House of Cards, The Americans, True Detective, Homeland, Rectify
Longmire
Outlander, Poldark
Stranger Things, The OA
Downton Abbey, A Place to Call Home, 800 Words, Janet King
Victoria, The Crown
Narcos
Sherlock
Dexter
Big Little Lies, This is Us
Ozark, Mindhunter
Death in Paradise
Fargo
Orange is the New Black
Mad Men
The Good Wife
Bloodline, Lillyhammer, Alias Grace

++ Seen all but three, good choices

I watched about 2/3 of the first episode of Black Sails on Hulu. It’s supposed to be the pre-story that leads to RLS Treasure Island. Excessive coarse language and nudity wasn’t contributing anything to the storyline, which really wasn’t clear to begin with and didn’t look like it was going to get any clearer. My guess is RLS would not enjoy it either.

I did start watching Inspector Morse. My father enjoyed that show, and I can see the attraction. Like many British police shows it is dialog heavy and tends to drag a bit, but it’s fun to watch a grouchy impatient, quarrelsome inspector solve crimes. His red jaguar is also notable.

Last edited:
The new Star Trek on Paramount. The pre-cursor to the original series with Capt. Pike. Meh so far. First episode was last night

Just started Bosch: Legacy on FreeVee. It starts where the Prime Bosch series left off with him leaving the police force to be a private detective. Episode one looks good so far. But, they have big shoes to fill.

The new Star Trek on Paramount. The pre-cursor to the original series with Capt. Pike. Meh so far. First episode was last night

There is a long discussion of the new Star Trek series in the posts above. I think I am going to really like it, it is old style Star Trek.

Watched the first 3 episodes of Bosch: Legacy on FreeVee yesterday. Enjoyed them a lot and glad this series has returned.

Finding most of what I watch is on HBOMax lately:

New season of the Flight Attendant - fun like the first, not quite as good a plot, still enjoyable.

The Rise of the Lakers - a bit more nudity than some here are comfortable with, and I'm not sure I like all the director/cinematography choices, but it has its moments

Finished Julia, glad to see it's been renewed.

Just started Bosch: Legacy on FreeVee. It starts where the Prime Bosch series left off with him leaving the police force to be a private detective. Episode one looks good so far. But, they have big shoes to fill.

I saw the promo but was disappointed Amazon chose to release it only on its ad supported platform.

I saw the promo but was disappointed Amazon chose to release it only on its ad supported platform.

the ads aren't bad at all. most are single, 20-30-seconds long. i was glad to see that the original cast members along with the writers and some of the production staff are back. we binged the first 4 earlier tonight and loved it! i have a few minor criticisms but i'll keep them to myself. Imdb is reporting it was renewed for season 2 BEFORE the season 1 premier aired. :dance:

Still watching "Black Summer" on Netflix. It's getting better, they're learning more about survival. Still frustrating at times. Not a fan of the back and forth time flips.

I didn't really see any change:LOL: it's produced by all the same people and they have lots of Bosch novels to use, so I'm optimistic.

Anybody seen "Under the Banner of Heaven", it's FX but streams on plain (not live) Hulu..

It's different but since I've have a lot of experience in Utah I found it fascinating.

Last edited:
Binged the last season of Grace and Frankie on Netflix. It was a great show--will miss it!
DH is watching Knightfall on Netflix.

While watching the NHL playoffs on TNT tonight, I just saw a promo for the final season of Animal Kingdom! Returning June 19th. Can’t wait!

I’m waiting for season 5 to be free on Prime.
I might record season 6 through xfinity.

New season of the Flight Attendant - fun like the first, not quite as good a plot, still enjoyable.

Finished Julia, glad to see it's been renewed.
+1. We really enjoyed Julia more than we expected, if the script is accurate she was quite a character, even more than many know.

Same with Flight Attendant. Thought season 1 was great, jury is still out on season 2 for us.

Waiting for Ted Lasso season 3, Dune part 2, and The Gilded Age season 2.

Ozark.

I finally got sucked in. I realize that (almost) everyone else on the planet has been watching it since it began in 2017, but I managed to resist until this week. From everything I had seen in random clips over the years, it appeared to be extremely violent, so I never tried it.

I wasn't wrong!! I binged the first season over the last few days, and there is indeed a very high body count. However, I am now hooked. The characters are so well written, and the sense of suspense, and never knowing what will happen next, are addictive.

Another one for the new Bosch Legacy series. Loved the first one and looking forward to this one! Also just started with Grace and Frankie, its pretty good to this point.

Eventually Ill get back to Ozark

There is a long discussion of the new Star Trek series in the posts above. I think I am going to really like it, it is old style Star Trek.

Star Trek probably deserves its own thread. I don't get Paramount+, but Strange New Worlds may pull me in. Everyone seems to like it. That may tug the various iterations of ST back to the original idea of a more positive future. There are so many dark and dystopic science fiction series, that ST is, or should be, a rebel, contrasting series. I remember writers saying about the new series that "Now, we can tell more varied stories." But in fact what they end up with is telling the same old stories you find in every other science fiction series. ST imposed some guidelines on them that resulted in stories that weren't about someone's dark and haunted past (bleh! seen that 100x).

I generally like dystopia, but it has gotten out of hand. Way too much. Besides the knock out SFX, there was a reason Star Wars was so popular. Times were tough and people needed an uplifting story. It's time for that again.

BTW even if you hate Seth MacFarlane, give The Orville a chance. When social media started to buzz about The Orville doing Star Trek better than Star Trek, you have to think they took notice. A new season of The Orville is dropping soon.

Back
Top Bottom