What new series are you watching? *No Spoilers, Please*

I thought I'd like Discovery better, but I'd say both are middling. With respect to Discovery, there have been a few episodes I liked, but the show has too many misfits and flawed characters for me. I really am not into listening to a bunch of whining.

I gave up on Discovery after three episodes (or was it four?) where they introduced the silly new method of using spores for something that I won't go into here for fear of spoiling it for someone. There was enough scientific hand-waving being done by the writers to explain how that spore-thingy worked that hurricanes were spawned off the coast of southern California.

I've noticed that Jonathan Frakes has directed a lot of TV episodes. Like you, I've also noticed his work stands a bit above the ordinary.

And for me, long battle scenes, whether in space or hand to hand combat while the set crumble around them are quite boring...

1979, I guess, took my oldest friend's two eldest sons, (in their mid/late 40s now), to see the original Star Trek movie in Toronto.....during an interminable rocket ship sequence one of them turned to me and whispered "Is it over yet?"

We were out of our seats and out of the theatre post haste.

The one episode part is hard. I'm so used to watching 3,4,5 episodes at a time. When Game of Thrones ended, I went back and watched a whole season. So much better, fewer questions about what happened 3-4 weeks ago.
I may let this series air completely, then watch.

+1
We just DL them to our media player, and when they are all done, then choose a binge watch day.

1979, I guess, took my oldest friend's two eldest sons, (in their mid/late 40s now), to see the original Star Trek movie in Toronto.....during an interminable rocket ship sequence one of them turned to me and whispered "Is it over yet?"

Never watch an odd numbered Star Trek movie.

Sign of a great movie, when it's over you say, What it's over already?.Also if you have time to wonder if you turned off the stove or locked the door of your house..it's running too long.

The one episode part is hard. I'm so used to watching 3,4,5 episodes at a time. When Game of Thrones ended, I went back and watched a whole season. So much better, fewer questions about what happened 3-4 weeks ago.
I may let this series air completely, then watch.

I totally agree. These are only 30-minutes episodes, too, and a continuing story (vs Curb Your Enthusiasm that also dropped one a week, for example, but that had a short self-contained plot in each episode besides whatever long plot it cooked up for the season). We might let the rest of the season build up a little and watch at least two or three at a time.

Currently re-watching the first season of After Life on Netflix. Season 2 drops on Friday, Apr 24. One of the very best shows Netflix has done in recent years. Funny, sad, inspiring, thought-provoking... it's got everything!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8398600/

Sign of a great movie, when it's over you say, What it's over already?.Also if you have time to wonder if you turned off the stove or locked the door of your house..it's running too long.

In this case it was "Isn't it over yet?" :LOL:

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll check it.

I'm done with Picard and through 1.3 seasons of Discovery. At first, I thought I'd like Discovery better, but I'd say both are middling. With respect to Discovery, there have been a few episodes I liked, but the show has too many misfits and flawed characters for me. I really am not into listening to a bunch of whining. And for me, long battle scenes, whether in space or hand to hand combat while the set crumble around them are quite boring, as are long heart-to-heart scenes where the story hasn't supported the relationship. The ones directed by Frakes are a knotch better, but unlike STNG, the story line is woven through all seasons, so you must watch them all or be lost.

randomly I am now getting ads on my FB feed asking me if I want to watch season one of Picard..maybe I'm just being paranoid..and before I get scolded about FB all of my blood family except for my DD's live between 1200 and 400o miles away from me.

"Silicon Valley". Started it last weekend and have binged the first two seasons in a week. About half an hour per episode, it goes quick.

Two thumbs, way up!

It sounds good. Where can I watch this?

randomly I am now getting ads on my FB feed asking me if I want to watch season one of Picard..maybe I'm just being paranoid..and before I get scolded about FB all of my blood family except for my DD's live between 1200 and 400o miles away from me.

It's not random........ Resistance is futile. ;)

I know everyone is posting about drama series, but I would like to add 60 Minutes to the mix. I signed up for the free month of CBS and watched a bunch of most recent 60 Minutes. I used to watch it every week when I lived in the US.

A series on Showtime called Billions.
Only watching it because Showtime is free on charter/spectrum for the month of April.

It sounds good. Where can I watch this?

It's hilarious but also interesting to watch them try to build this company from scratch.

It's free on Amazon Prime Video through May 15th. All seasons.

I think it's also on the Roku channel, but I'm not sure how many seasons are available.

Currently watching,:

Belgravia on Epic (free at present) for fans of Downton Abbey, written by Julian Fellows

Little Fires Everywhere on Hulu

World on Fire on PBS

My Brilliant Friend Season 2 on HBO- Elana Ferante's trilogy, Italian with subtitles

Finale of Homeland planning to watch tonight

Looking forward to next season of Billions coming up

And Baptiste on PBS yet to watch, just started

Also just discovered Outlander, just watching Season 1 and so much more to binge. How could I not have known about this juicy epic[emoji38]

Disappointed in Beacham House - PBS and Sandition- PBS.

[Silicon Valley TV series] sounds good. Where can I watch this?

I just finished watching all 6 seasons of Silicon Valley today. The Chrome-based web-browser built into my new LG "smart" TV isn't compatible with HBO.com, but the series is available on roku.com for free and works fine with my TV.

The show is (almost) unbearably silly at times, but there were enough seeds of truth buried within to keep me watching. Anyone who has worked (or is working) in tech might enjoy it. Note that this TV series ended in late 2019 so it no longer qualifies as "new".

Do any Silicon Valley tech-founder-millionaires (or tech-founder-billionaires) visit ER.org? If so, they are probably smart enough not to identify themselves as such. :D

Last edited:
For sports fans--last night ESPN started a 10 part documentary about Michael Jordan, basketball player with the Chicago Bulls. Two hours were shown last night. I really liked it-- of course being from Chapel Hill, NC where Jordan went to college (UNC) I am a big fan of his.

For sports fans--last night ESPN started a 10 part documentary about Michael Jordan, basketball player with the Chicago Bulls. Two hours were shown last night. I really liked it-- of course being from Chapel Hill, NC where Jordan went to college (UNC) I am a big fan of his.
Us too! I never understood Jerry Krause and why Scottie hated him so much. Now I get it. What a creep. Cannot understand why Jerry Reinsdorf let him dismantle the Bulls! Let Phil Jackson go. I saw the Bulls at the United Center in 1996. What a rush! Breaks my heart MJ talent went to waste after that.

DW and I finally watched Episode 1 and Episode 2 of Game of Thrones after the kids went down last night.

No real details works just like a DVR. Instead of watching we save to disk till they are all there, then archive for later viewing.

Oh! I was thinking of, what equipment is involved. For instance, I mostly use PlayOn to record streaming video and use the built-in media player for playback (because it handles the commercial skip so well.)

I can, of course, record individual shows in many other ways -- usually within the specific network's app. However, none of them include scheduling VOD streams recording or multi-selections.

Anyway, I am always on the lookout for better ways to do things.

Back
Top Bottom