What new series are you watching? *No Spoilers, Please*

Does that work with Amazon Prime/HBO?

You can record HBO with PlayOn. However, the main reason for recording is to skip commercials. Since HBO has no commercials, there is no real advantage to recording... except to save for prosperity.

PlayOn.jpg

Provided one has subscriptions to these services, one can record with PlayOn. But just to be clear, the only real advantage to PlayOn is to schedule future shows and to select a whole series for bulk recording.

With the free HBO streaming, I’m recording and watching Sopranos. Not exactly new. But I never saw it. I’m through season 1. I really like it, except for the excessive amount of F bombs. But the story is good and actually humorous at times. I enjoy the whole mobster at home with his family aspect. Looking forward to five more seasons of it.

It really has some of the best humor, a lot of memorable lines.

A series on Showtime called Billions.
Only watching it because Showtime is free on charter/spectrum for the month of April.

Succession on HBO is also about billionaires.

Terrific, critical raves. You have to get past the first 3-4 episodes when Logan the patriarch character gets out of hospital and take command.

Us too! I never understood Jerry Krause and why Scottie hated him so much. Now I get it. What a creep. Cannot understand why Jerry Reinsdorf let him dismantle the Bulls! Let Phil Jackson go. I saw the Bulls at the United Center in 1996. What a rush! Breaks my heart MJ talent went to waste after that.

One thing to be wary of, they allowed them to film it at the time. But MJ was always going to have final edit rights.

So he could have sections removed which portray him in an unfavorable light.

You can record HBO with PlayOn. However, the main reason for recording is to skip commercials. Since HBO has no commercials, there is no real advantage to recording... except to save for prosperity.

View attachment 34723

Provided one has subscriptions to these services, one can record with PlayOn. But just to be clear, the only real advantage to PlayOn is to schedule future shows and to select a whole series for bulk recording.

yes, I was thinking after I posted that question that there's not much point to recording HBO as the content is pretty much always available anyway :LOL: so in the case of Run, the HBO show that is dropping a weekly episode, we just have to wait anyway.

We still have Comcast cable TV with its dvr capability--will look at PlayOn if we ever cut the cord. Thanks for mentioning it!

yes, I was thinking after I posted that question that there's not much point to recording HBO as the content is pretty much always available anyway :LOL: so in the case of Run, the HBO show that is dropping a weekly episode, we just have to wait anyway.

We still have Comcast cable TV with its dvr capability--will look at PlayOn if we ever cut the cord. Thanks for mentioning it!

Unless you at some point stop subscribing.

I used to us preview weekends to record a lot of shows on premium channels.

Now I subscribe to most of them.

A really old series I found on Amazon: Hamish MacBeth. It's a great antidote to a lot of the dark European psychological mysteries I've been binging on lately. Set in a small village in the Highlands of Scotland, the title character is the local constable who solves "crimes" that are far less ominous than than the British and Scandanvian crimes solved by cops with their own family/personal issues. This one is lighthearted and funny. If you were ever a fan of Ballykissangel, this is the Scottish equivalent with a policeman instead of a priest as the central character in a town full of them. Closed captions a big help with the accents.

A really old series I found on Amazon: Hamish MacBeth. It's a great antidote to a lot of the dark European psychological mysteries I've been binging on lately. Set in a small village in the Highlands of Scotland, the title character is the local constable who solves "crimes" that are far less ominous than than the British and Scandanvian crimes solved by cops with their own family/personal issues. This one is lighthearted and funny. If you were ever a fan of Ballykissangel, this is the Scottish equivalent with a policeman instead of a priest as the central character in a town full of them. Closed captions a big help with the accents.

If you like Hamish Macbeth, you might also enjoy Agatha Raisin. Both series are based on novels by M C Beaton, who passed away a few months ago.

Found Hamish Macbeth on YouTube also.

What new series are you watching?

One thing to be wary of, they allowed them to film it at the time. But MJ was always going to have final edit rights.

So he could have sections removed which portray him in an unfavorable light.

“The Last Dance” is a nice diversion from the onslaught of pandemic and financial news downers to which we are currently subjected.

I had a fun chat about it today with an old friend in Chicago. We segued to other teams from the past, in particular the Celtics and Lakers (I lived for a time in Bird-era Boston).

If you like Hamish Macbeth, you might also enjoy Agatha Raisin. Both series are based on novels by M C Beaton, who passed away a few months ago.

You've made me both happy and sad.

I adore MC Beaton's books - both Agatha Raisin and Macbeth - and wasn't aware there was a tv series using Macbeth (I'm okay with the Raisin series even if they took SWEEPING liberties with the plots/characters/backstories). Knowing the Macbeth series may be a fun watch if they keep the flavor of the books is a lovely thing.

I am very sad to learn MC Beaton passed away recently. I hadn't heard. Absolutely brilliant writer. Such fun to read and I adored all the quirky characters and personality.

“The Last Dance” is a nice diversion from the onslaught of pandemic and financial news downers to which we are currently subjected.

I had a fun chat about it today with an old friend in Chicago. We segued to other teams from the past, in particular the Celtics and Lakers (I lived for a time in Bird-era Boston).

Watched the first two episodes and have to say I'm not impressed with the way it was put together. The flow in the story telling is terrible with the way they jump back and forth to different points in his career. The story is suppose to be about one season (97-98), they are really stretching it out with 10 episodes IMO.

Watched the first episode of Baptiste on PBS last night. It's a story following a detective who comes out of retirement to try to find a girl who has gone missing from the red light district in Amsterdam.

So good! PBS is really knocking it out of the park lately, between this show and World on Fire. We are super impressed.

just finished the viking series and it was good. I see a new 6th season coming out for streaming. I can't find it. anyone seen it anywhere?

We have all 10 episodes stored, I believe it was the final season. We downloaded them as they were aired, but we have not viewed them yet. We do not subscribe to any US streaming services.

Last edited:
Not new, but we signed up with Hoopla through our local library and accessed Rake season 4, episode 1 last night.

Back
Top Bottom