What "old" series are you watching?

motley

Dryer sheet aficionado
I often discover TV shows after they were popular and in re-runs. Big Bang Theory is the latest. Frasier was similar. And I can always watch MASH or All in the Family if they're on.

And while I get people who say it was kinda hokey, somehow I have gotten into Quantum Leap lately. I think Scott Bakula is good in that role and the righting wrongs and doing the right thing I guess appeals to me in this crazy world where it seems everyone is just ranting and raving and not caring about anything else.

You?

Slowly working on all 5 Star Trek series shown daily on the H&I Network over-the-air here in prime time (immediately following Jeopardy).

Also enjoying JAG on the same network.

I have enjoyed old Columbo episodes on the Internet too.

Would really love to also see the old Mission Impossible shows if they show up over-the-air.

I went without TV for the most part for the last 10 years or so. As such, all the newer shows don't really appeal to me.

-gauss

Last edited:
"Mission Impossible" comes on MeTV, on Sunday nights I believe. I think that station is available over-the-air in certain markets. Sometimes they'll work Columbo into their schedule, as well.

Columbo, Miami Vice, Magnum PI, Andy Griffith and a few others. I don't watch any of them that much but tho.

Depends on your definition of old. We've been on a detective series binge of late: The Closer, Mentalist, Monk. This was after exhausting several similarly themed British series which we prefer: Prime Suspect, DCI Banks, etc. If this pandemic keeps on for much longer we may run out.

Barney Miller was like that for me.

"Mission Impossible" comes on MeTV, on Sunday nights I believe. I think that station is available over-the-air in certain markets. Sometimes they'll work Columbo into their schedule, as well.
I'll be looking for Mission Impossible. Previously I have searched for info on 'Mission: Impossible' and came up empty.
I found it, on at 2am Sunday night (Monday morning)
https://www.metv.com/schedule/2020-11-08

Columbo is on my MeTV at 7pm on Sundays in my area.
Years ago I enjoyed 'Rumpole of the Baily'. "It starred Leo McKern as Horace Rumpole, an elderly London barrister who defended a broad variety of clients, often underdogs." He is a curmudgeonly character.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumpole_of_the_Bailey
Many episodes, if not all are available on Youtube.

Gunsmoke including S1 E1 back in ‘55. I enjoy seeing all the bit roles played by contract actors and others before they were famous. I was never a big fan of westerns before.
The Waltons plays pretty much in sequence for all 9(?) yrs on INSP network but they skip a few episodes like the one that featured a Ouija Board.
Leverage which is being rebooted with most of the original cast, but not Tim Hutton.

I enjoy seeing all the bit roles played by contract actors and others before they were famous.

Haven't watched Rod Serling's Twilight Zone since Methuselah was in elementary school, but I recall many, later famous, actors appearing.

I believe Robert Redford had a minor role as 'Death' in an episode where an old lady thought she could live forever if she avoided all outside contact.....the Redford character showed up disguised as a cop.

In the morning I sometimes watch on CoziTV some of my favorite shows from the 1970s - Charlie's Angels, Bionic Woman, and Six Million Dollar Man. Here in New York, those got pre-empted a lot during the peak of Covid-19 back in April, May, and June. BTW it makes feel old to know that the pretty women in 2 of those shows are all in their 60s and 70s now.

In the evening, I watch reruns of All in the Family on GetTV and some Star Trek reruns on Heroes and Icons. The I can watch some Johnny Carson reruns on AntennaTV.

I'd love to catch some of those old Mission:Impossible reruns. I'll be looking for them on Sunday nights. Thanks for the tip. EDIT: M:I airs at 3AM here, Ugh!

Last edited:
Haven't watched Rod Serling's Twilight Zone since Methuselah was in elementary school, but I recall many, later famous, actors appearing.

I believe Robert Redford had a minor role as 'Death' in an episode where an old lady thought she could live forever if she avoided all outside contact.....the Redford character showed up disguised as a cop.

Yep...I think Gladys Cooper played the old lady.

The Twilight Zone was where many future stars were born. The Love Boat is where they went to fade away... :p

My favorites are probably Twilight Zone and Gunsmoke, especially the earlier B&W episodes. Leave it to Beaver, My Three Sons, and Green Acres are also favorites.

I mean really, old TV is bad TV. We are in the golden age of television right now. Production values are movie quality, acting has never been better, there's never been more high quality shows available then right now. Now you may not like some of the adult themes, but that doesn't speak against the quality of the production values, acting, etc.
I still watch the occasional old TV show for nostalgia sake, but I'm always amazed at how bad the majority of acting is, and how poor the production values are.

Just finished Grimm again. Also Person of Interest which we had not seen during its initial run. Friends is on TBS most every morning and is good for some laughs. On Amazon we have been re-watching Chuck and Eureka.

Twilight Zone, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, Outer Limits (both 60s and 90s version), Night Gallery. These have episodes I can watch multiple times.

Yes, that is true.

I enjoyed seeing Jack Klugman in the Twilight Zone, in two of my favorite episodes: "A Passage For Trumpet" and "A Game of Pool".

Others off the top of my head: William Shatner, Roddy McDowell, Billy Mumy, Carol Burnett, Elizabeth Montgomery.

Depends on your definition of old. We've been on a detective series binge of late: The Closer, Mentalist, Monk. This was after exhausting several similarly themed British series which we prefer: Prime Suspect, DCI Banks, etc. If this pandemic keeps on for much longer we may run out.

IMHO The Britts just seem to do Police Procedural dramas better, and more realistically. They do not have all the Granny restrictions on what to show and what to say, that the "Non Paid" US media outlets have to deal with. Prime Suspect and Silent Witness being great examples,

I've been watching Midsommer Murders. With 20+ seasons there are a lot of early shows to forget. Besides, I love the quirky, eccentric characters. And it's one of the few police shows where the detective/inspector is not a dysfunctional, drug addicted idiot with a messed up family.

Watched the entirety of Cheers over the past several months. Am now on Fraiser. This is via CBS All Access.

Watched the legal drama "The Practice" over several months about a year ago on Amazon Prime and I thought it was excellent. This is a series from the mid-late 90's.

Watched the entirety of Cheers over the past several months. Am now on Fraiser. This is via CBS All Access.

Watched the legal drama "The Practice" over several months about a year ago on Amazon Prime and I thought it was excellent. This is a series from the mid-late 90's.

Ah, I do love me some Frasier. I just finished watching the entire series for the 3rd time in as many years. :D

I do like the older shows these days, they take me to a simpler time before the madness of 2020. Current indulgences are Benson and Rockford Files. MeTV also does the Johnny Carson show which I am enjoying...he was much better at making fun of political issues than the current lot of late night entertainers.

Yes, that is true.

I enjoyed seeing Jack Klugman in the Twilight Zone, in two of my favorite episodes: "A Passage For Trumpet" and "A Game of Pool".

Others off the top of my head: William Shatner, Roddy McDowell, Billy Mumy, Carol Burnett, Elizabeth Montgomery.

The episode titled "It's a Good Life" where the kid sends people to the cornfield. still gives me the willies!!

Also Telly Savalas in the "Living Doll" episode was really good

Emergency!
On the Antenna TV channel is one I will sit and watch sometimes.

Last edited:
Yes, that is true.

Don't forget Burgess Meridith!

I mean really, old TV is bad TV. We are in the golden age of television right now. Production values are movie quality, acting has never been better, there's never been more high quality shows available then right now. Now you may not like some of the adult themes, but that doesn't speak against the quality of the production values, acting, etc.
I still watch the occasional old TV show for nostalgia sake, but I'm always amazed at how bad the majority of acting is, and how poor the production values are.

I totally agree but, and this is likely just my age talking, I still enjoy most of the oldies. Almost entirely on nostalgia grounds. My father was in the Philadelphia Highway Patrol and I remember watching "10-4! 10-4!" Highway Patrol sitting on the floor in front of the large B&W TV with the big sheet of glass on it. Ditto many other oldies. Like eating grandma's chicken soup. Comfort food.

As an adult, two shows I find almost painful to watch (OK, but I watch them anyway) and wonder why they have such ongoing cultural gravitas, are The Twilight Zone and Colombo.

Maybe I can give TTZ a bit of a pass because in those days we didn't have all the science we do today and the general public was even more in the dark about it. But as far as Sci-Fi, the "Sci" is embarrassingly vapid, dopey, comic book level, and that makes the "Fi" part just plane dumb because the it relies on the Sci part being plausible. It comes across more like children's fantasy stories nowadays.

And almost everything Colombo does is either illegal, and was even back then, or he's repeatedly out of jurisdiction. No real PD would operate that way. And if he's a Lt. doesn't he have an office with "regular" cops reporting to him like Van Buren in "Law & Order"? Why is he always going over people's houses and asking questions? It's called harassment. Either take him downtown or fill out the report and call it a day.

It changes with what's being run.... But for now is mostly Perry Mason. But Hart to Hart and Gunsmoke are always on my list to watch when they are being aired.

Back
Top Bottom