WiFi vs Hardwired/Ethernet Speed?

I got lost asomewhere around the 6th post.

Two wired, 3 wireless TV's, 5 old, old computers, and a five echo devices... No idea, but my most distant wireless 10 year old computer regularly speed tests at about 240mbps down and 11 to 20 up.
I think this usb connector helped a lot.

from Amazon:
Techkey Wireless USB WiFi Adapter, 1200Mbps Dual Band 2.4GHz/300Mbps 5.8GHz/867Mbps High Gain Dual… $21.99

Here's a screen capture of a recent wireless speed test. I'm more than satisfied with the connection and the speed.

We're probably talking a different language, as I didn't understand a lot of the posts.
:)

Attachments

• wireless 270mbps.jpg
    wireless 270mbps.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Once again, some of this ^ is simply incorrect, but I’m not going to bother to reiterate what I’ve already posted. No one else on this thread seems to have misunderstood my situation.

This thread has run its course. Just let it go, you haven’t been helpful in this instance.
:horse:
May all of your future streaming be error free, and just one bit short of maximum throughput.
[emoji56]

I also have AT&T fiber 300/300. Hard wired computer test I get a little faster than that. After reading your original post, I ran a speed test on my new iPhone xR. In the room with the AT&T modem, I get 300/300 on my iPhone. As I move further away in the house, the speed drops a lot. In the bedroom on the other side of the kitchen from the modem, speeds drop to about 20/7. I installed a wifi extender about half way between, and it didn't do anything to improve speed in that bedroom area.
Walking past the extender, my iPhone picks up the 5 hz signal, but it drops after moving on a few feet.
In the rooms near the modem, speeds are good, in the 200/200 range. I assume all the appliances in the kitchen, and possibly the laundry room, really kill the signal.

I also have AT&T fiber 300/300. Hard wired computer test I get a little faster than that. After reading your original post, I ran a speed test on my new iPhone xR. In the room with the AT&T modem, I get 300/300 on my iPhone. As I move further away in the house, the speed drops a lot. In the bedroom on the other side of the kitchen from the modem, speeds drop to about 20/7. I installed a wifi extender about half way between, and it didn't do anything to improve speed in that bedroom area.
Walking past the extender, my iPhone picks up the 5 hz signal, but it drops after moving on a few feet.
In the rooms near the modem, speeds are good, in the 200/200 range. I assume all the appliances in the kitchen, and possibly the laundry room, really kill the signal.

Depending on the material, walls can seriously dampen wifi signals. Your kitchen appliances, probably not so much. Also, 5GHz has faster potential throughput as compared to 2.4GHz, but also has shorter range. Wifi Extenders will suffer the same problem, so they really need to be positioned well - line of sight to devices is best. I have a mounted wireless access point on the ceiling in our Kitchen because it's central to the home and open to other rooms on all sides, so provides the most line-of-sight exposure in the house. That access point has a Cat6 hard line that runs through the attic to the switch in my network closet.

If you switch some of the further devices to the 2.4GHz frequency, you might see some improvement, and almost certainly if you move your wireless extender to a place with more line-of-sight to devices, that will help too.

Depending on the material, walls can seriously dampen wifi signals. Your kitchen appliances, probably not so much. Also, 5GHz has faster potential throughput as compared to 2.4GHz, but also has shorter range. Wifi Extenders will suffer the same problem, so they really need to be positioned well - line of sight to devices is best. I have a mounted wireless access point on the ceiling in our Kitchen because it's central to the home and open to other rooms on all sides, so provides the most line-of-sight exposure in the house. That access point has a Cat6 hard line that runs through the attic to the switch in my network closet.

If you switch some of the further devices to the 2.4GHz frequency, you might see some improvement, and almost certainly if you move your wireless extender to a place with more line-of-sight to devices, that will help too.

Thanks. I'll try moving the extender. It's not line of sight. I found the 5GHz signal gets blocked and drops off really fast. So I'm always connecting to the 2.4 GHz signal. I have two of the extenders. Maybe I'll try to chain them and split the distance, see if that helps.

Once again, some of this ^ is simply incorrect, but I’m not going to bother to reiterate what I’ve already posted. No one else on this thread seems to have misunderstood my situation.

This thread has run its course. Just let it go, you haven’t been helpful in this instance.
:horse:

Well now you're adding on to the thread and just making stuff up. Why do that?

I absolutely understood your situation. You got 300 Mbps download wired and ~ 25 Mbps wireless, and you wanted the higher speed wirelessly. Everything I posted was clear, I see no need to edit, add or subtract from it.

Whether I've been helpful is in the eye of the beholder. A lot of people don't understand what speed and ping times really effect, there was helpful info there, whether you see it that way or not.

-ERD50

I got lost asomewhere around the 6th post.

Two wired, 3 wireless TV's, 5 old, old computers, and a five echo devices... No idea, but my most distant wireless 10 year old computer regularly speed tests at about 240mbps down and 11 to 20 up.
I think this usb connector helped a lot.

from Amazon:
Techkey Wireless USB WiFi Adapter, 1200Mbps Dual Band 2.4GHz/300Mbps 5.8GHz/867Mbps High Gain Dual… $21.99

Here's a screen capture of a recent wireless speed test. I'm more than satisfied with the connection and the speed.

We're probably talking a different language, as I didn't understand a lot of the posts.
:)

Having the external antennas like that device has can really help if you aren't near the router. Some have the antenna at the end of a cable, which can be even better in marginal signal areas.

Your 240 Mbps down is great, 11 Mbps up seems relatively slow, but adequate for most things. As has been mentioned in this thread, most systems are asymmetrical for up/down, but I would have expected a higher up speed with 240 down, but I don't know what your provider offers. Could just be the way it is.

-ERD50

In our property I have cable internet coming in over coax at 500 Mbps. This comes into a cable router with incorporated 2.4 Ghz wifi which also serves as a node for roaming internet termed wifi-free but only serves others subscribing to the same internet company. I have a system of wired CAT-5 cabling running from an intel based microcomputer which serves as our router running OPNSense. It is powerful and runs full SHA-256 encryption on the entire network, has full anti-virus and IPS running both directions.

We have two houses on the same property plus a swimming pool area. I have separate cabled Ethernet running to the second house and another running to the gazebo at the swimming pool. Inside our house I have 3 Nighthawk wifi routers running at 1200 Mbps hardwired to my intel router. I have a second line running from the cable router that runs to my Playstation which is outside the home network to reduce lag. It is completely isolated so not a problem. Because the CAT-5e cable distance to the other house is over 100 meters I have a wifi router midway in a small building that houses our well pump and garden tools. The switch function renews the signal to the second house where there are 2 routers one on each floor. All the 4 routers running outside the house run dual 2.4/5 GHz at 750 Mbps. The CAT-5e cables are all running at 1 Gbps. Outside in the garden and the second house the speed varies between 500 Mbps to 40 Mbps depending how far from the wifi router you are. No one has complained at all. Our house is where we live and work so gets the more expensive and faster wifi routers. The second house is for guests and we pretty much only play music out in the garden and some minor web surfing when enjoying the pool. Inside our house the iPads run the slowest and they are getting around 80 Mbps. The iPhones and all Android stuff all exceed 250 Mbps so it is dependent on the modems. I have inside the house a Plex server which runs off the openmediavault intel based server and the movies all run at full 4K with no problems. The same for Netflix and Amazon so we have no real issues at all.

The system itself is large and covers our entire property yet provides excellent security. The weakest link is the wifi security and that is as good as I can make it without building my own wifi routers from intel based computers. These are all i3 AIO microcomputers I bought from AlieExpress for about $150 each and they are perfect for this. I use the Intel based computers because the encryption capability is built into the CPU. ARM based routers won't give you that. I get attacked fairly often by the NSA who seem to take a keen interest in me as I am a retired US government WMD research scientist living outside the US in Hungary. The router IPS does a traceback on external IP addresses trying to penetrate the system. I have absolutely nothing to hide but enjoy making their lives difficult as spying on US citizens is supposedly illegal. To get through the SHA-256 encryption takes some hard processing time on their mainframes which is expensive. Oh, BTW our 500 Mbps internet is $15 a month which is part of our cable package which is $50 a month. I highly recommend PfSense and/or OPNSense as the router software if you are interested in high security of your systems. They are tricky to learn and somewhat difficult to configure but fun to learn if you are into that kind of thing.

I get attacked fairly often by the NSA who seem to take a keen interest in me as I am a retired US government WMD research scientist living outside the US in Hungary. The router IPS does a traceback on external IP addresses trying to penetrate the system. I have absolutely nothing to hide but enjoy making their lives difficult as spying on US citizens is supposedly illegal. To get through the SHA-256 encryption takes some hard processing time on their mainframes which is expensive.

Well, they really don't know WHO is creating the traffic on that system, and since it is outside CONUS...

Can you have more fun by programming your system to constantly send encrypted random strings such that you are always using nearly your full bandwidth?

I get attacked fairly often by the NSA who seem to take a keen interest in me as I am a retired US government WMD research scientist living outside the US in Hungary. The router IPS does a traceback on external IP addresses trying to penetrate the system. I have absolutely nothing to hide but enjoy making their lives difficult as spying on US citizens is supposedly illegal. To get through the SHA-256 encryption takes some hard processing time on their mainframes which is expensive. Oh, BTW our 500 Mbps internet is $15 a month which is part of our cable package which is $50 a month. I highly recommend PfSense and/or OPNSense as the router software if you are interested in high security of your systems. They are tricky to learn and somewhat difficult to configure but fun to learn if you are into that kind of thing.
Jason Bourne is that you? I like how you exposed Operation Blackbriar. Also I think you mean AES-256, not SHA-256. Real spies use One Time Pads, amateur.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom