COVID-19 notifications from, well, EVERYBODY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

USGrant1962

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
OK, so I've been getting COVID-19 emails from stores, restaurants, my gym, etc. Some of these I get. My gym detailing the sanitization steps they are taking, or Open Table revealing their reservation stats (down 20%) and suggesting ways to support your local restaurant.

But others are pure virtual signalling BS. I just got one from the Microsoft Store FFS! I didn't even read it, just deleted it.

What other irrelevant, feel-good, virtue signalling communications are folks getting?

Each credit card company, bank, hotel chains where I have loyalty accounts, and my grocery store where I have a loyalty account. I think Ally sent me one to tell me that since they’re online only I won’t have to worry. Duh. Each email starts out the same way by rambling on and on about safety, their concern for me, thoughts and prayers, blah blah blah.

Yeah, I got a COVID19 update email today from Minnetonka Moccasins

The only one I paid attention to was from our cruise line, telling us we can cancel our cruise for credit (refunds were not mentioned, as our cruise isn't till August). And I am expecting the gym to shut down any day.

The rest I regard as thots n prares. If you aren't going to actually come to our house to be sure we're okay, what good is it?

The Ballet called to let me know they will keep me informed.
We have not been to the Ballet in over 30 years.

There are many emails from payees (Utilities, Comcrap, etc.) letting us know they are on top of things. Our electricity won't be shut off, and so on.

I'm hoping for a calming store trip this week. When I get to the parking lot, I'll make a final decision.

Time to crank up the Bach playlist on Spotify.

I got one from my local public library last Thursday that it was "business as usual". Then went on to describe all the steps they are taking to clean, etc. So, not really "as usual". When I visited the library yesterday there was a note posted informing all patrons they were closing effective Monday at 6pm thru 3/31. Sad to say no email announcing the closing as yet.

The Ballet called to let me know they will keep me informed.
We have not been to the Ballet in over 30 years.

There are many emails from payees (Utilities, Comcrap, etc.) letting us know they are on top of things. Our electricity won't be shut off, and so on.

I'm hoping for a calming store trip this week. When I get to the parking lot, I'll make a final decision.

Time to crank up the Bach playlist on Spotify.

Well it has to be a comfort to know you'll be kept abreast of developments at the ballet.

The one I liked was from our local Sports Medicine / Orthopedic center explaining all their sanitary procedures and how it was totally safe to still come in for appointments. I can't help but suspect this was sent more to keep their business afloat than their patients safe.

I got one from my local public library last Thursday that it was "business as usual". Then went on to describe all the steps they are taking to clean, etc. So, not really "as usual". When I visited the library yesterday there was a note posted informing all patrons they were closing effective Monday at 6pm thru 3/31. Sad to say no email announcing the closing as yet.

The answering machine at my library said they were open. Went over and saw a note on the locked door, 'closed for two weeks'. Lots of other folks walking up and seeing the note, too.

It is a very fluid situation. The platitudes of yesterday are being replaced by harsh realities of today. You are getting "SPAM" emails from businesses you haven't interacted with for years, because they are scrambling to contact everyone who is concerned and your email just happens to still be in their database. Our local library is still open, but they've cancelled all meeting rooms & events. They may soon close depending on what the city officials decide on Monday, and there may not be time to notify everyone.

Relax. These are trying times and no one was really prepared for this type of emergency. We are figuring it out as we go.

Wow! I searched “covid-19” in my emails. I’ve received covid-19 information emails from more than 30 different companies and organizations. My bank, REI, Jimmy Johns, NRA, Eddie Bauer, Fine Woodworking, Duluth Trading, Grand Canyon Conservancy, Hilton Hotels and National Geographic being the most recent. All assure me that they are safely handling the coronavirus outbreak.

Last edited:
I'm disappointed they had low sanitary procedures and not washing hands often before the outbreak

The only one I paid attention to was from our cruise line, telling us we can cancel our cruise for credit (refunds were not mentioned, as our cruise isn't till August). ....

I was reading the Princess one fee rules, and even normally if cancelled far enough out, there is no cancellation fee, so a person gets a refund. Once a trip is within about 90 days, there is a cancellation fee of the deposit, and that cancellation fee becomes a portion of the fare the close a person gets to

The new temporary rule of Princess, gives a refund except for the cancellation fee, and the cancellation fee (which normally would be lost) is a credit.

I've gotten too many too. The most ridiculous is from a tree service company. A service that does not interact with humans, ever, except for sales, and even that is typically over the phone.

Ridiculous.

Yep. I got one from my attorney and insurance agency. Starts of with them saying they take this thing very seriously.

I'm waiting for when they send a survey asking for feedback on the email :popcorn:. Not really.

Got one from Rob Samuels, Managing Director of Maker’s Mark (Kentucky Bourbon). They are discontinuing their distillery tours starting tomorrow. We did the tour a few years ago, and despite the fact that I don’t have any plans to repeat it anytime soon, it made me kinda sad.

I got one of these type mail from Intuit just a short moment ago.

Heard mentality :facepalm: like all the people stocking up on toilet paper.

I just delete the promo ones (and it's a good time to cull your subscribed emails list).

I had one from the American Chestnut Foundation, the visionaries intending to bring back the American Chestnut. As this is a very long-term project (as in centuries), with the trees quietly growing in their orchards, it's probably of interest only to the immediate employees.

I love their visionary work, though, and I love their direct, declarative mission statements (as opposed to the BS statements in most places)

"Our mission is to return the iconic American chestnut to its native range.
Our vision is a robust eastern forest restored to its splendor."

I had one from the American Chestnut Foundation, the visionaries intending to bring back the American Chestnut. As this is a very long-term project (as in centuries), with the trees quietly growing in their orchards, it's probably of interest only to the immediate employees.

I love their visionary work, though, and I love their direct, declarative mission statements (as opposed to the BS statements in most places)

"Our mission is to return the iconic American chestnut to its native range.
Our vision is a robust eastern forest restored to its splendor."

We love ACF (we are tree people) and support them with $ and we are planting American Chestnut saplings (knowing full well 99.99% will die before they reproduce).

"Under a spreading chestnut tree
The village smithy stands;"

Some of the flooring in our old house is Chestnut. I would like to see it come back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom