Do you still have maid coming in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Still"? I have never had a maid/housekeeper. Don't want one. I am not much of a house cleaner myself, and I value privacy. My house does not look immaculate but it is clean enough to be healthy, and I don't really care if it is any cleaner than that.

Exactly. Nobody enters the domain except for repairs we can't do ourselves. I guess we really are poor people with money. Or perhaps merely eccentric.

Reactions: W2R
We never interrupted the maid schedule until this month, but that's because DW and I spent much of October on vacation, so the house didn't get dirty.

No changes in maid routine, schedule or pricing for a couple years now.

We had a lady come by twice a month for the last 10 years or so. Stopped in March. Since I'm around the house all the time now it's become my job...

We stopped ours long before retirement. Probably 10 years ago. She wasn't cleaning as well as I expected. But I could see getting maid service again someday.

"Still"? I have never had a maid/housekeeper. Don't want one. I am not much of a house cleaner myself, and I value privacy. My house does not look immaculate but it is clean enough to be healthy, and I don't really care if it is any cleaner than that.

Same.

Get a high flow HEPA air filter (or more than one if your house is large enough), I'm pretty happy with my Coway Airmega 400+ and there are bigger and faster ones available. If you wear masks, and the cleaning person wears a mask and you filter all the air in the house before you take your mask off, you've minimized your risk about as well as you can and hopefully no worse than you were doing using open windows for fresh air. Unless your house has amazing through air flow, probably not all if it actually swapped out through the windows anyways.

No, not since we caught them in the east wing with three of the chauffeurs, the butler, the chef, three grooms and two of the pilots.

Wow you do have a large house.:D

Decision maid :))) We are stopping her for now, it is just too risky. As a consolation I just ordered a Bissel wet/dry robot vacuum thing to drive around. Now if only I can find a way to get it to bath tubs, toilets, stove, and do the bedding.

I've been thinking of getting an electric scrubber for the bathrooms.

We still have our housekeeper coming in once every two weeks. With our new robot vacuum keeping the floors really clean I don’t feel like we really need the service more than once a month though.

Several months I read this article about experts and how they were personally handling risks. This was one of the best articles I read to help with risks.

One of the people answering questions was Dr. Fauci. He said that the only person who comes into his house other than his wife and him is the person who cleans the house. He says she wears a mask and gloves while in the the house.

Another person has a cleaner come when she is away from home.

Another one has cleaners weekly and they he and his wife close themselves into a room on the top floor of the house while they are there and don't interact with them (the cleaners don't clean that room).

https://www.adn.com/nation-world/20...-with-covid-19-risks-in-their-everyday-lives/

Me too, but the one-star reviews always scare me off. The main complaint is that they are made of plastic, and break easily.

I've been thinking of getting an electric scrubber for the bathrooms.

+1 I never liked the idea of strangers coming into my house and being able to go in to rooms (like office etc) when I can't watch them. However, my wife wanted a service for a number of years and finally hired for a monthly cleaning. She went through several before the young married couple who had started a business with just the 2 of them. We stopped for a few months and then she asked them back again. They take precautions and wear masks etc. while we isolate on the back porch until they are finished. I still don't like it any more than for her to be playing tennis with a few teams of people that may not be taking precautions or associating with other unconcerned friends. At some point she may be carrying the virus home and infecting me too.
Not much I can do.

Cheers!

Sooner or later we will need a cleaning service. But the two times I tried one, I was scared off because:
a) everything has to be tidied up first. If I'm going through all that, I may as well do the remaining work of cleaning!
b) Time is money, so they are in a hurry. As a result, they are rougher than I would be. Routine wear and tear on surfaces adds up, causing the need to resurface/replace far faster. What do they care? It's not their problem.
c) I'll never get over seeing the cleaning woman (two-person team) climb up onto my kitchen countertop to clean the top of the fridge. What, don't you have a ladder??
d) Ditto watching them flush the floor wash water down the toilet, over and over. That wash water has hair and carpet fibers in it. Don't want those in my drains and septic tank. When I wash the floor, I dump the water in the driveway. Of course, that requires a bit of extra effort and time, which no hired person wants to expend (or will charge more to do).
e) Way too easy for someone to pocket a small knickknack, without my noticing till it's too late to complain/accuse. Unless I go behind them every single time, checking every display cabinet.

Last edited:
We stopped, but paid our twice a month crew, for 2 months early on, and resumed in June. They wear masks and gloves and we leave the house for the period that they are here. Our state is seeing a rapid increase in cases, so we are taking a wait and see approach. I do cherish my clean house so it will be a struggle to decide if things continue to deteriorate.

Yes, cleaning service still coming in, because, priorities. :LOL:

We do leave the house after she arrives, and return about an hour after she departs. I'm very comfortable with that.

We have had the same cleaner for many years. Don’t need her and her husband anymore, but just don’t have the heart to say we are done until we are on the other side of the pandemic.

She is basically dusting a house we are never at anymore.

Do you still have a maid coming in?

Yes...... and I give her a gentle nudge each morning to get out of bed and make me coffee before attending to her chores. :LOL:

She has subcontracted out sweeping the floors to a legal immigrant named Roomba.

Last edited:
Never had a maid... Before even considering hiring a maid, I'd have to get over the trust (or lack of) issue. Then there is the privacy issue. Then there is the inconvenience issue. There there is the ........ Forget it, I'll never get past the trust issue.

The day may come (I hope not) that I'll change my mind and get/need full time maid services.... But that will be when I'm in an assisted living facility, or worse.

Last edited:
OP already made decision, but since the thread has drifted to pros and cons of having a cleaning service in the first place: we first got a cleaning lady 30 years ago. Between DW and I, the couple of precious weekend hours vacuuming, changing sheets, cleaning the 2 bathrooms etc. was worth the $$ paying someone else.
Fast forward to recent years, and I still despise doing those things. We even pay the lady extra, now, to change our bed sheets. We had to clean ourselves in the first few months of lockdown and it was borderline torture for me. That $$ spent is again, to me, worth it. Another classic case of YMMV.

Yeah, I made my decision but play it over and over again in my head. For now we will stop. I can also relate to the people who have had issues with theft and such but not our situation.

She was all word of mouth, cleaned for many people in our old Condo Building. She moved with us to current building and developed business here now. She has also been a nanny and practically rasied some children for others in our old building. I have watched her children grow up as occassionally they come too. She has been with people for so many years and we all know her. She is trustworthy, does a good job.

I do know from prior experience to her it can be hit and miss. Having someone like this is priceless to a large degree and why I also hate cutting her off.

Ours is here today, cleaning away as we speak.

The maid is me myself and I. I enjoy keeping it nice and clean.

We've kept our cleaning service the whole time. She wears a mask and gloves and we go to the den where she doesn't clean. Neither DH nor I can physically do the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom