Do you still have maid coming in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

npage

Recycles dryer sheets
Curious, we have had the same woman for years. She is like family every two weeks now.

She has been wearing a mask as have we and only cleans with the supplies in our house. That said, we are not her only customers and of course cannot control who and what she is doing away from us.

As higher risk people we are approaching windows closed season, thus far they have been wide open.

DW and me are both so torn right now what to do. My back issues making cleaning a chore and she is the one luxury I have always said I would sacrifice other expenses for.

We have continued with our house cleaning as normal, except that we make sure to not be around during the cleaning even though they are masked. I think opening the windows is a good extra precaution.

If you are not willing or able to stop housekeeping services, then I would suggest continuing:
-you and your wife wear your masks while she is there, along with her wearing hers
-keep the windows at least partially open while she is in your house
That's about all I can think of to mitigate risk.

We do not have a cleaning service at this time, although that is on my luxury list for later. I personally would not have someone else come into my house on a regular basis, but it sounds like this is needed due to health issues. So you need to do what keeps you safe and you are comfortable with.

Yeah, we are both working from home right now. And really there is no where to go even if we wanted to leave so being here is only option.

Definitly can open windows a bit longer. We really could even in Winter I suppose, heater will just work a bit harder while she is here for a couple hours. Something about having all the windows and big patio open felt better though than just say cracking windows.

For me getting on floor, cleaning bathtubs, etc. is almost a guarantee of my back going out and leaving me completely useless and in more pain than the usual daily level. Rock and hard place for sure. My wife works her tail off for her job and I do not feel right transferring all the duty to her as well. Especially since I plan on pulling plug from work hopefully in a few months.

Last edited:
We resumed bi weekly service after 3 month hiatus. We’ve had same lady for many yrs. We usually leave the house anyway or occasionally let them clean the home office 1st or just skip that room, go out on the deck, basement etc. Everybody wears a mask as needed. Our cleaner lost her apt in the few months she was not working

"Still"? I have never had a maid/housekeeper. Don't want one. I am not much of a house cleaner myself, and I value privacy. My house does not look immaculate but it is clean enough to be healthy, and I don't really care if it is any cleaner than that.

I don't have regular service. When the place gets dirty enough to need a major cleaning I find someone. Last time it was 2 ladies that did a great job. That was about 2 months ago. I'll call them back when interior conditions deteriorate again.

Friend of mines wife just got Covid. Traced back to tennis pro at club. He was 100% asymptomatic to this day. Crazy, wide open indoor space not exactly talking to person close etc.

So maid and us wear mask but in same Orbit, our state just passed 11% positivity rate and climbing. I used to take some comfort when it was 3 to 4%.

We have had a FT housekeeper for years (she lived outside the home) Since the pandemic we hired a housekeeper who lives with us and handles all the disinfection protocols. She now goes home twice a month for 2 nights each time. When here she works 14 hour days, 7 days a week and handles all cooking,cleaning,laundry,childcare for our family of four. Her salary represents about 10% of our monthly spend.

We never have had a cleaning person. My son and his to be wife have them and business as usual for that person to come in and clean etc. every other week.

We have never had a maid/cleaning service but if the choice was between hiring one or severe immobilizing back pain as the OP said, then for sure we'd have a maid coming in.

We'd also do as others do and move from room to room to where the maid was not, that's about all you can do. In the depth of winter here even cracking the windows a little bit isn't really practical to do.

We resumed our cleaning lady couple of months ago. They wear masks and gloves, we leave the house. When we come back we use bleach wipes on our bannister and all door handles; unnecessary but we feel more comfortable doing so. Even in winter, I see no reason to not open the windows and get outside air circulating.

DW is very high risk medical condtion, I have a useless back. We drew the life short straws. First world problems I am fully aware to have this discussion but appreciate the different thoughts.

No, not since we caught them in the east wing with three of the chauffeurs, the butler, the chef, three grooms and two of the pilots.

We had a maid before the pandemic but we decided having her come was too risky for us. We just clean the house ourselves now. DH does a pretty good job on the floors but he cannot figure out dusting so I do the dusting and most of the rest.

We had a maid before the pandemic but we decided having her come was too risky for us. We just clean the house ourselves now. DH does a pretty good job on the floors but he cannot figure out dusting so I do the dusting and most of the rest.

So, did he not figure out dusting, or did he really figure out how to get out of dusting?

No, we do all our yard and housework since retiring. It saves money, gives us some extra NEAT (non-exercise activity thermogenesis) and we don't have to have a stranger in the house. I do have a mopper and two robotic vacuums and those are great. They've never stolen anything from us, unlike one of the cleaners.

Good question!:confused:
Incompetence has saved many a man from housework.

We have had the same cleaning lady for years. We kept her on retainer during the Spring wave (i.e. - we kept paying her but she didn't come for three months) but since June she is back to her bi-weekly schedule. When we were working, we were never home when she came. Since retirement, we have always left the house when she shows up, even before COVID. It keeps us out of her way.

We still have a cleaning service once a month. We do minor cleaning the other weeks. They wear masks throughout their time spent in the house.

Decision maid :))) We are stopping her for now, it is just too risky. As a consolation I just ordered a Bissel wet/dry robot vacuum thing to drive around. Now if only I can find a way to get it to bath tubs, toilets, stove, and do the bedding.

I stopped having my house cleaned in early March and have not resumed. I had planned to resume when Covid disappeared, but I have gotten used to doing all the housework now so will continue. My excuse for having someone else clean was all the gardening work I did instead. But now I just do it all, keeps me busy.

Yeah, I never needed an excuse. Everyone has different things they pay for in life that others do not want to or understand. But tasks that cause me physical pain always willing to pay others for. Vaccine cannot get here soon enough!

So, did he not figure out dusting, or did he really figure out how to get out of dusting?

Ha Ha!!! I would try a leave blower, should be an easy learning curve there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom