Join Early Retirement Today

Made it 5 months without getting Covid-19
Old 07-31-2020, 06:37 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Made it 5 months without getting Covid-19

I'm surprised that I made it through March, April, May, June, and finally July without getting Covid-19.

I think I can make it another 5 months and into 2021.

Good luck to all who have not fallen ill! Good luck to all who have survived, too.

LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2020, 06:38 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Amen.

Old 07-31-2020, 06:49 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Um, maybe 3% of the U.S. population has had Covid with symptoms or confirmed.

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
USGrant1962 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 06:57 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I thought I had it twice since early March. But I was wrong. Probably was a reaction to a prescription I was taking.

Itís good to have made it 5 months. While I have generally been careful, DW and I started the ordeal with a road trip, and a couple of days in Las Vegas including a Rod Stewart concert. Dodged a bullet there.

I see no problem getting safely into 2021. Iíve developed a fairly safe routine where I seldom get near other people. And I do a mask and social distancing on rare occasions when Iím indoors around others. My Achilles heal is DW - she likes to socialize. Hopefully she can keep our holiday activity invite list to just the 2 of us.

But I see having to maintain our current COVID dodging lifestyles for several years. It will take a while to get treatments and vaccines on board, if at all.
Old 07-31-2020, 08:50 PM   #5

I had the strangest flu in December after returning from overseas. Winded walking up my hill despite hiking miles at a time there, tired, allergies earlier than normal. MD said not the flu but at the time I was sure he was wrong. Took a month to get over it
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 09:44 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
I'm surprised that I made it through March, April, May, June, and finally July without getting Covid-19.

Good luck to all who have not fallen ill! Good luck to all who have survived, too.
We are fine, too, and hope to remain so. Haven't even had a cold or flu yet in 2020.

Good luck and good health to you. And the same to everyone else on the forum, especially those who have been sick.
Old 07-31-2020, 11:12 PM   #7

Quote:

I'm glad that you have not been hit so far! However, I don't see how you can make a prediction Recency bias? Timing the Covid-19 market?

Back in the 1980s, there were many people around me getting the flu, and I did fine. Month by month, no flu for me. Till mid/late April, waaay into the tail end of flu season, then I got it! Three friggin' years in a row! The world had run out of any sympathy or empathy, and no leniency was given for flu sufferers by April.
Old 08-01-2020, 04:06 AM   #8

Quote:

So far so good. I even made it through pollen season this spring without the usual congestion and coughing. First time for everything I guess. We started early on with staying home (except for groceries), wearing a mask, washing our hands, and staying at least 6 ft from people. It gets more difficult every day but we still keep doing the same. I just hope my wife will be able to keep a cool head with being unable to play tennis. She is an avid player and loves to be on the court everyday but that isn't going to happen any time in the near future. Florida is getting worse but if we can hold out we may make it through long enough to see our expiration date come due.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 04:22 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
So far so good. I even made it through pollen season this spring without the usual congestion and coughing. First time for everything I guess. We started early on with staying home (except for groceries), wearing a mask, washing our hands, and staying at least 6 ft from people. It gets more difficult every day but we still keep doing the same. I just hope my wife will be able to keep a cool head with being unable to play tennis. She is an avid player and loves to be on the court everyday but that isn't going to happen any time in the near future. Florida is getting worse but if we can hold out we may make it through long enough to see our expiration date come due.

Cheers!
Is the DW not comfortable playing tennis outdoors?
Old 08-01-2020, 04:26 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Knock on wood.

Knock on wood.

Knock on wood again!

Donít jinx it!

Sorry, you roused my superstitious instinct.
Old 08-01-2020, 05:35 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Knock on wood.

Knock on wood.

Knock on wood again!

Donít jinx it!

At least you're leaving it up to the scientists!
Old 08-01-2020, 05:53 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Knock on wood.

Knock on wood.

Knock on wood again!

Donít jinx it!

This is exactly what I was thinking. You never, ever say stuff like that out loud. The bad luck gremlins will get you every time
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 06:01 AM   #13

My FIL just found out his sister has COVID-19 in a nursing home in Florida. We donít know how serious it is yet.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 06:04 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
My FIL just found out his sister has COVID-19 in a nursing home in Florida. We donít know how serious it is yet.
Sorry to hear that. Please keep us posted.
Old 08-01-2020, 06:17 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

So far, so good, both in early sixties, but we have our recently graduated son living with us. He has a part time job in a restuarant, so that is our highest risk, otherwise we have minimal other contact.

I have a son-in-law and a nephew that had/have it, both in other larger cities. Also have a policeman friend that got it and ended up in the hospital, he is out and recovering. My daughters dental school class of 300 all got tested, looks like 4 or 5 of them had it, symptom less, if you can believe the forms they filled out. It is very disruptive to the 3rd year students who are supposed to be treating people. They are trying to fit N95 masks on the students and doing tests with aerosols. The testing is having high failure rates, the masks don't fit well enough to prevent the wearer from smelling or tasting the aerosols used for the tests. For now, my daughter is wearing two masks and a face shield. :-(
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 06:57 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Is the DW not comfortable playing tennis outdoors?
All courts are outdoors in Florida as far as I know. She prefers to play doubles but that isn't going to happen. Too close to partners with heavy breathing. Twice now she has played singles with a friend where there is a private court available. The only contact she has is with the tennis ball and then she has alcohol wipes that she uses. But as much as she enjoyed playing she may wait until things settle down before playing there again. Maybe sometime next year. We are both in our 70s so we don't want to "poke the bear".

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 08:11 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by USGrant1962 View Post
Um, maybe 3% of the U.S. population has had Covid with symptoms or confirmed.
+1. If you’re reasonably careful about distancing/crowds, masks, cleaning/touching surfaces - the odds are substantially against being infected. It shouldn’t be a surprise for most people. Every infection report I’ve heard has involved unwise exposure (family gatherings, parties), unavoidable exposures (health care/essential workers, nursing homes) or its been left unexplained (interestingly). I am sure there are exceptions, but they’re very few and far between IMO.

Target AA: 40% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 25% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 08:46 AM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

I saw young people play basketball and soccer, or just gather, in our neighborhood parks, no social distancing or masking. I saw neighbors have parties in their backyards, drinking, laughing, etc. I believe these (also bars and events) are the occasions that people get infected.

On the other hand, I did not see many grocery works become sick in large numbers. I did not even see health workers become sick in larger numbers.
flyingaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 08:58 AM   #19
Administrator

I was convinced that I had Covid starting 29th February, plus I gave it to our son who got it much worse than me. Many of the symptoms, and I was sure I had caught it during my weekly trips to the pub with my BIL. He was even sicker than me and went to the GP twice in February.

He received a letter from the NHS this week inviting him to take a Covid antibodies test as they are going back and reviewing possible missed cases. They sent him a home test kit, finger prick blood test, take a photo of the result, upload it online and answer a few questions. He did the test last night and got the result today. Negative. Should not be surprised really as his wife (my sister) got it bad enough to be told to go to hospital where she was tested for Covid - negative. She had pleurisy which was amplified by her Lupus.
Old 08-01-2020, 09:06 AM   #20

So far so good. However i am discouraged by the number of people i see who got tired of the whole covid thing and are acting like it's all over.