Made it 5 months without getting Covid-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry about your friend . It seems crazy that people can be so careful and get it and other people take zero precautions and are fine .

Yes, thanks.... I've been saying what you said for a long time.... there is a crapshoot aspect to it.... but I'll go with the averages and mask in public and social distance and hope for the best.

About a week ago I learned that a good friend in Florida who I golf with regularly has contracted Covid. He and his DW were super careful... went out very little, masks, social distancing, etc. They were still even ordering groceries online for pickup so they didn't have to go to the stores.

They suspect that he got it from a recent ER visit for another ailment. Luckily, his wife tested negative.

He seemed to be doing well, but recently had trouble breathing and they moved him to the ICU and he is on a ventilator. I'm very concerned for him.
Very sorry for your friend. I'm going to cancel my dental appt. The ER transmission makes me think it's in the ventilation system and dental offices may not be ventilated that well.

DW has a friend who is ill. She's young - 38 and has some of the Covid symptoms. Fever, chills, shakes, fatigue, headache, nausea, vomiting, and abdominal pain. But she tested negative in a quick test. Dr. told her that she has a type of Covid, but most likely not Covid-19.

She's been sick for 9 days. We spent a few hours with her at her house helping her move in a couple times in the last month, most recently a few days before she became ill. DW and I are fine. And the friend's mom is ok - they had been spending a lot of time together.

I had symptoms very similar to DW's friend and later tested negative for antibodies. Lots of people have symptoms that seem to be beyond normal flu, but still test negative for Covid-19. Maybe there are new different types of Covid out there, or maybe there are a lot of false Covid-19 test negatives.

I work 2 weeks on - two weeks off schedule - at an arctic oil production facility. While at work I am in close contact with several hundred work peers who also rotate in from all over the country. Most of my work peers are family aged men with children at home. My work environment is pretty much the best infection environment you could intentionally design for exposure to whatever is around, nationwide. In the past, this was obvious, as flu season was long and protracted at work camp.

The company and the State mandated quarantine protocols back in March in response to Covid. Just typical things, like mandatory masks, gloves, hand sanitizer, closing public gatherings like meals in dining hall, and regular daily disinfection crews. We have had 2 cases of Covid out of 2000 workers, both of which came up to work with the disease. They transmitted it to no one at work. Interestingly, there has been no flu outbreak since the quarantine protocols either. In the past, flu was tolerated and nothing special was done at work to quell its spread. Covid quarantine has been an eye opener about disease spread in general.

Of course, my story is just an anecdote, but a rather extreme one. Quarantine actions appear to be remarkably effective to me, to the point of nullifying any fear I feel about the virus. JME, but if you follow protocol you won't get sick, even if your work/life requires some rather close contact.

I work 2 weeks on - two weeks off schedule - at an arctic oil production facility. While at work I am in close contact with several hundred work peers who also rotate in from all over the country. Most of my work peers are family aged men with children at home. My work environment is pretty much the best infection environment you could intentionally design for exposure to whatever is around, nationwide. In the past, this was obvious, as flu season was long and protracted at work camp.

The company and the State mandated quarantine protocols back in March in response to Covid. Just typical things, like mandatory masks, gloves, hand sanitizer, closing public gatherings like meals in dining hall, and regular daily disinfection crews. We have had 2 cases of Covid out of 2000 workers, both of which came up to work with the disease. They transmitted it to no one at work. Interestingly, there has been no flu outbreak since the quarantine protocols either. In the past, flu was tolerated and nothing special was done at work to quell its spread. Covid quarantine has been an eye opener about disease spread in general.

Of course, my story is just an anecdote, but a rather extreme one. Quarantine actions appear to be remarkably effective to me, to the point of nullifying any fear I feel about the virus. JME, but if you follow protocol you won't get sick, even if your work/life requires some rather close contact.

Wow, that is very impressive! Thanks for sharing.

bada bing, your story is a great one about what we can do to prevent the spread of Covid--I would like more specific information about the precautions taken at your work if you can give it to us. Are you required to wear masks and gloves at all times? What about in your room? Do you each have a private room? What kinds of masks and gloves? Can you get together at all with other workers? On your job are you always 6 feet apart? What kind of disinfectant is used? Can you give us an idea what a typical day is like with all the precautions? Thank you so much, this could be a big help.

Last edited:
Very sorry for your friend. I'm going to cancel my dental appt. The ER transmission makes me think it's in the ventilation system and dental offices may not be ventilated that well.

ya gotta do what ya gotta do. between the two of us we’ve been to two dental visits and 7-doctor visits (annual and semi-annual), two of which were at the local hospital. my view is these visits are among the safest because the docs and their staffs are professionals and understand the risk.

About a week ago I learned that a good friend in Florida who I golf with regularly has contracted Covid. He and his DW were super careful... went out very little, masks, social distancing, etc. They were still even ordering groceries online for pickup so they didn't have to go to the stores.

They suspect that he got it from a recent ER visit for another ailment. Luckily, his wife tested negative.

He seemed to be doing well, but recently had trouble breathing and they moved him to the ICU and he is on a ventilator. I'm very concerned for him.

Received sad news today... my friend died. Damn COVID. RIP Don.

On our recent trip to northern California, we made friends with a couple from Crockett, CA. They had the opportunity to take a Covid 19 test at a local site. They gave their info, and were waiting in line waiting for a test, when they received a call for a family emergency, and couldn't take the test. A week later, they said they got a letter saying they both tested positive. They said they were stunned by the news that they were infected, and then went back for an actual test, where the test results were negative. They said they were very skeptical of the whole thing, at that point.

Sorry to hear that news. All we can do is what they tell us to do and like you said, hope for the best.

I know a couple people that have tested positive and had really no symptoms. One said a scratch voice for a few days other then that both are fie but quarantined. I guess one doesn't know how our bodies will react to the virus.

My mom emailed me a couple of days ago and said my brother, who is 57, has tested positive. He has fever, fatigue, etc. but is not hospitalized. This is in south Georgia.

That is the first case of anyone in our family or friends.

We are across the country of course but there are a few cases now popping up here in our small mountain town.

My mom emailed me a couple of days ago and said my brother, who is 57, has tested positive. He has fever, fatigue, etc. but is not hospitalized. This is in south Georgia.

That is the first case of anyone in our family or friends.

We are across the country of course but there are a few cases now popping up here in our small mountain town.

Wishing all the best for your brother. The virus really hits home when you are close to someone who has it.

On our recent trip to northern California, we made friends with a couple from Crockett, CA. They had the opportunity to take a Covid 19 test at a local site. They gave their info, and were waiting in line waiting for a test, when they received a call for a family emergency, and couldn't take the test. A week later, they said they got a letter saying they both tested positive. They said they were stunned by the news that they were infected, and then went back for an actual test, where the test results were negative. They said they were very skeptical of the whole thing, at that point.

I have heard similar story happening in Contra Costa county through the nurse grapevine so to speak. Can’t guarantee the accuracy though as it’s not a first hand story.

We test EVERY admitted patient. Since testing started back in June we have only had 3 positives. Work mandates change weekly. We now wear the same mask for 8 hours, goggles or shield mandatory for all patient encounters and glove as per usual . It’s scary times, pandemic fatigue is setting in retirement right around the corner! DH retires 11/2, I will work 8 days in November and December are we there yet!

I have heard similar story happening in Contra Costa county through the nurse grapevine so to speak. Can’t guarantee the accuracy though as it’s not a first hand story.

We test EVERY admitted patient. Since testing started back in June we have only had 3 positives. Work mandates change weekly. We now wear the same mask for 8 hours, goggles or shield mandatory for all patient encounters and glove as per usual .
This might be of interest.
It's about steralizing N95 masks without affecting there integrity. Easy to do!

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/full/10.1021/acs.estlett.0c00534

So sorry for your friend and for you. You mentioned a visit to the ER as Don and his wife were being so careful. This is alarming as we are careful as well. I hope Don’s wife has support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom