Pandemic Purchases

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bacon! Pre pandemic I have not had bacon in the house in decades. Early in pandemic when DW ordered groceries for home delivery, she asked me if I wanted bacon as a treat (she's vegan). From that first time, I now keep bacon at home all the time. I pack 2 slices each in cellophane and freeze them, and eat it maybe once every 2 weeks with eggs for a dinner.
And, of course, TP. As I posted separately, there was also a shortage of my 2 favorite brands of diet Root Beer, so once they hit the shelves again I bought a LOT of that.

Bought a Tesla. Bought a bunch of frozen meat, flour, fat, yeast and salt. Bought a bidet.

A BMW 540i xDrive

IMG_3304.JPG

Yea, I almost forgot, I did, too. Using it makes me wonder why I waited 68 years. :blush:

Ditto.

I bought one in 2019 after a couple of weeks in a gite in France. Not strictly a Covid purchase but I love it.

We did lots of landscaping in the gardens and bought and assembled a greenhouse. More landscaping starts tomorrow in the form of raised flower beds.

First a used side by side 4wd UTV, loved it, quickly sold it, & bought a new one right away. Sold atv had for years & buyer interest was unbelievable!

Winix air filters, since we were self-quarantining. We bought one, and it was so good on removing dust and smells and smoke that we ended up with three. They clearly improved our stay-at-home experience, as our house is one of those 'air-tight' energy saving constructs.

Also we purchased two battery backups, one for a fridge to keep the frozen food in decent shape for a few hours, and one backup to support internet connectivity. [Inspired by pandemic supply chain glitches. we ended up with extra frozen food items.] After seeing their usefulness in power outages this summer, we might still add an even better backup battery, that can run microwaves.

Which one did you pick?

I'm looking for something to run the gas furnace (blower fan & thermostat) overnight after the generator has been shut off, cooled down, & moved back indoors (tri-fuel generator running on natural gas via a quick-disconnect hose, so no gasoline in tank)

Landscaping, storage, tool and she sheds. Furniture, flooring and painting

Numerous items - not sure if they belong here or in BTD.

Since we were spending almost all of our time at home during lockdowns, we bought our first Smart TV to watch Netflix and Amazon Prime. Also a high end BBQ (over $1000), a new roof and gutters (don't ask how much!), contributed to a house down payment for one DD and to a wedding for another DD.

Hope that the Pandemic ends soon, I need to save a few bucks!

Which one did you pick?

I'm looking for something to run the gas furnace (blower fan & thermostat) overnight after the generator has been shut off, cooled down, & moved back indoors (tri-fuel generator running on natural gas via a quick-disconnect hose, so no gasoline in tank)

I have a Duracell PowerSource 1440W Portable Power Station. I bought it because it 1) I could buy it at Costco 2) is a UPS, so it comes on automatically in a power outage. It's a lead battery. The Lithium batteries (I have on for modem and router) are not UPS. But the lithium batteries are getting very awesome. The problem with the Duracell PowerSource 1440W Portable Power Station is it doesn't have an initial jump up speed for starting some things. I don't know if furnaces need that. Portable heaters and microwaves do. Some of the new lithium batteries may have that capability, I'm going to look now.

I found this link about your needs https://www.jefftk.com/p/furnace-battery-backup

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom