Here's where your hand sanitizer went

Status
Not open for further replies.
He could sell them for what he paid for them. Sadly Amazon is not doing crap. I saw a pint of 72% alcohol for $27 yesterday. I can buy everclear much cheaper and drink the leftovers.

Eric, a truck driver from Ohio who spoke on the condition that his surname not be published because he feared Amazon would retaliate, said he had also collected about 10,000 masks at stores.

A great example of the collision of profiteering vs. public good.

In my area local hospitals have no N95 masks. They are unable to purchase them and yet ERs remain open. Health care providers assume personal risk to treat others.

These people are total scum. You can even get a mask at Home Depot or Lowes today to protect you from sand and dust when doing home projects. What are contractors who need these masks going to do?
People are also buying up toilet paper in bulk and re-selling them online with huge mark-ups.

If he delivers his hoard to local hospitals gratis over the next few days maybe he'll stay alive and out of jail. I'm amazed he was willing to be identified in a national media outlet given how quickly public opinion can get ugly in an emergency.

Even if technically legal, driving to every store in a 1300 mile radius to clear out all the N95 masks in time of pandemic is truly a crime.

A great example of the collision of profiteering vs. public good.

In my area local hospitals have no N95 masks. They are unable to purchase them and yet ERs remain open. Health care providers assume personal risk to treat others.

In my state, price gouging in a declared emergency (as is the case now) is illegal, and the Attorney General's office will prosecute violators. https://portal.ct.gov/-/media/AG/Press_Releases/2019/Price-Gouging-in-CT-handout-final-(2).pdf?la=en
It is a very popular law and I expect that he will receive many complaints. Some other states have similar laws. If "Eric" the truck driver thinks Amazon is his main worry, he may be in for a rude awakening.

Yeah we are a contracting company. We don't need the N95 masks every day. But this week we have a couple jobs that needed them. I was in a couple Home Depots and nothing. Our regular on line place was back ordered. I finally pulled in a favor at a paint store we have done some favors for. I was looking for a minimal amount...1 or 2 boxes of 15. He takes me to his office...you want 1 or 2 cases? A case is 10 boxes. I bought 1 case

I happen to live in the same town with one of these profiteers. If I were him, I would be very nervous.

Just like ticket scalpers, if no one did business with them their "business" would collapse immediately.

As a health professional (retired, luckily), this makes me angry. Normally, OK to take a little profit, but in a time of pandemic, that kind of price gouge is criminal.
I wish he would donate it all, do a little good for society and redeem himself.

Just like ticket scalpers, if no one did business with them their "business" would collapse immediately.

It's pretty easy to ignore a scalper and just get worse seats, or maybe skip the game or show. Kinda different when it's a product that could save your family's life.

It's pretty easy to ignore a scalper and just get worse seats, or maybe skip the game or show. Kinda different when it's a product that could save your family's life.

It's not hand sanitizer is the only option...soap works too.

It's against the law to buy hand sanitizer?
If you buy 20,000 bottles of hand sanitizer solely for your personal use, you are an idiot and socially irresponsible, but you haven't broken the law. It is the resale at grossly inflated prices in a declared state of emergency that is illegal. It's called price gouging, and if I were still with the attorney general's office, it would be my great pleasure to prosecute them for it.

It might actually be against the law.

I do know that if individuals collude to corner a market, they can get into trouble.

Remember the silver market in the 1980s?

Hand sanitizers are overrated, I think. I don't have any, and did not think of going to get it until too late, so have not bothered.

I use bleach. My big laundry bottle lasts a long time. I have not checked to see it is out of stock in stores.

While TP is made in the US, I read that hand sanitizers use ingredients imported from China. This may cause a delay in replenishing the store shelves.

If he hasn’t already been banned, I’d get that stuff online and for sale at a break even price immediately.

Hey the marketplace. It's the only way to properly distribute goods and services. Private property. It's mine. You can have all you want if you can afford it. If you can't afford it why should you have any? If you can get it that means somebody else will have to do without it . Or without too much. If I have it all, it's all my private propety so pay me. And what's with these price gouging laws? Camel's nose in the tent of property rights, I say.

Hey the marketplace. It's the only way to properly distribute goods and services. Private property. It's mine. You can have all you want if you can afford it. If you can't afford it why should you have any? If you can get it that means somebody else will have to do without it . Or without too much. If I have it all, it's all my private propety so pay me. And what's with these price gouging laws? Camel's nose in the tent of property rights, I say.

People have been killed for less...

If you buy 20,000 bottles of hand sanitizer solely for your personal use, you are an idiot and socially irresponsible, but you haven't broken the law. It is the resale at grossly inflated prices in a declared state of emergency that is illegal. It's called price gouging, and if I were still with the attorney general's office, it would be my great pleasure to prosecute them for it.

Sanitizer isn't the only option available to disinfect your hands. Buy some soap and let him sit on the 20,000 bottles. If people think that hand sanitizer is their only option, then they are the idiots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom