Made it 5 months without getting Covid-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOL!

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I'm surprised that I made it through March, April, May, June, and finally July without getting Covid-19.

I think I can make it another 5 months and into 2021.

Good luck to all who have not fallen ill! Good luck to all who have survived, too.

Um, maybe 3% of the U.S. population has had Covid with symptoms or confirmed.

Last edited:
I thought I had it twice since early March. But I was wrong. Probably was a reaction to a prescription I was taking.

It’s good to have made it 5 months. While I have generally been careful, DW and I started the ordeal with a road trip, and a couple of days in Las Vegas including a Rod Stewart concert. Dodged a bullet there.

I see no problem getting safely into 2021. I’ve developed a fairly safe routine where I seldom get near other people. And I do a mask and social distancing on rare occasions when I’m indoors around others. My Achilles heal is DW - she likes to socialize. Hopefully she can keep our holiday activity invite list to just the 2 of us.

But I see having to maintain our current COVID dodging lifestyles for several years. It will take a while to get treatments and vaccines on board, if at all.

I had the strangest flu in December after returning from overseas. Winded walking up my hill despite hiking miles at a time there, tired, allergies earlier than normal. MD said not the flu but at the time I was sure he was wrong. Took a month to get over it

I'm surprised that I made it through March, April, May, June, and finally July without getting Covid-19.

Good luck to all who have not fallen ill! Good luck to all who have survived, too.
We are fine, too, and hope to remain so. Haven't even had a cold or flu yet in 2020.

Good luck and good health to you. :) And the same to everyone else on the forum, especially those who have been sick.

I'm glad that you have not been hit so far! However, I don't see how you can make a prediction :) Recency bias? Timing the Covid-19 market? :D

Back in the 1980s, there were many people around me getting the flu, and I did fine. Month by month, no flu for me. Till mid/late April, waaay into the tail end of flu season, then I got it! Three friggin' years in a row! The world had run out of any sympathy or empathy, and no leniency was given for flu sufferers by April.

Last edited:

So far so good. I even made it through pollen season this spring without the usual congestion and coughing. First time for everything I guess. We started early on with staying home (except for groceries), wearing a mask, washing our hands, and staying at least 6 ft from people. It gets more difficult every day but we still keep doing the same. I just hope my wife will be able to keep a cool head with being unable to play tennis. She is an avid player and loves to be on the court everyday but that isn't going to happen any time in the near future. Florida is getting worse but if we can hold out we may make it through long enough to see our expiration date come due.

Cheers!

So far so good. I even made it through pollen season this spring without the usual congestion and coughing. First time for everything I guess. We started early on with staying home (except for groceries), wearing a mask, washing our hands, and staying at least 6 ft from people. It gets more difficult every day but we still keep doing the same. I just hope my wife will be able to keep a cool head with being unable to play tennis. She is an avid player and loves to be on the court everyday but that isn't going to happen any time in the near future. Florida is getting worse but if we can hold out we may make it through long enough to see our expiration date come due.

Cheers!

Is the DW not comfortable playing tennis outdoors?

Knock on wood.

Knock on wood.

Knock on wood again!

Don’t jinx it!

Sorry, you roused my superstitious instinct.

Knock on wood.

Knock on wood.

Knock on wood again!

Don’t jinx it!

Sorry, you roused my superstitious instinct.

:LOL: This is exactly what I was thinking. You never, ever say stuff like that out loud. The bad luck gremlins will get you every time :cool:

My FIL just found out his sister has COVID-19 in a nursing home in Florida. We don’t know how serious it is yet.

My FIL just found out his sister has COVID-19 in a nursing home in Florida. We don’t know how serious it is yet.

Sorry to hear that. Please keep us posted.

So far, so good, both in early sixties, but we have our recently graduated son living with us. He has a part time job in a restuarant, so that is our highest risk, otherwise we have minimal other contact.

I have a son-in-law and a nephew that had/have it, both in other larger cities. Also have a policeman friend that got it and ended up in the hospital, he is out and recovering. My daughters dental school class of 300 all got tested, looks like 4 or 5 of them had it, symptom less, if you can believe the forms they filled out. It is very disruptive to the 3rd year students who are supposed to be treating people. They are trying to fit N95 masks on the students and doing tests with aerosols. The testing is having high failure rates, the masks don't fit well enough to prevent the wearer from smelling or tasting the aerosols used for the tests. For now, my daughter is wearing two masks and a face shield. :-(

Last edited:
Is the DW not comfortable playing tennis outdoors?
All courts are outdoors in Florida as far as I know. She prefers to play doubles but that isn't going to happen. Too close to partners with heavy breathing. Twice now she has played singles with a friend where there is a private court available. The only contact she has is with the tennis ball and then she has alcohol wipes that she uses. But as much as she enjoyed playing she may wait until things settle down before playing there again. Maybe sometime next year. We are both in our 70s so we don't want to "poke the bear".

Cheers!

Um, maybe 3% of the U.S. population has had Covid with symptoms or confirmed.
+1. If you’re reasonably careful about distancing/crowds, masks, cleaning/touching surfaces - the odds are substantially against being infected. It shouldn’t be a surprise for most people. Every infection report I’ve heard has involved unwise exposure (family gatherings, parties), unavoidable exposures (health care/essential workers, nursing homes) or its been left unexplained (interestingly). I am sure there are exceptions, but they’re very few and far between IMO.

I saw young people play basketball and soccer, or just gather, in our neighborhood parks, no social distancing or masking. I saw neighbors have parties in their backyards, drinking, laughing, etc. I believe these (also bars and events) are the occasions that people get infected.

On the other hand, I did not see many grocery works become sick in large numbers. I did not even see health workers become sick in larger numbers.

I was convinced that I had Covid starting 29th February, plus I gave it to our son who got it much worse than me. Many of the symptoms, and I was sure I had caught it during my weekly trips to the pub with my BIL. He was even sicker than me and went to the GP twice in February.

He received a letter from the NHS this week inviting him to take a Covid antibodies test as they are going back and reviewing possible missed cases. They sent him a home test kit, finger prick blood test, take a photo of the result, upload it online and answer a few questions. He did the test last night and got the result today. Negative. Should not be surprised really as his wife (my sister) got it bad enough to be told to go to hospital where she was tested for Covid - negative. She had pleurisy which was amplified by her Lupus.

So far so good. However i am discouraged by the number of people i see who got tired of the whole covid thing and are acting like it's all over.

I was convinced that I had Covid starting 29th February, plus I gave it to our son who got it much worse than me. Many of the symptoms, and I was sure I had caught it during my weekly trips to the pub with my BIL. He was even sicker than me and went to the GP twice in February.
I'm curious - do you still now think that you had it back then? Very few people outside China ought to have had time to develop symptoms by then, although if you go into any local Facebook group you can find plenty people convinced they had it last December, although their symptoms sound like flu and there were no reports of people turning up at the ICU with their blood oxygen at 70% and/or multiple organ failure.

Well, by test results, no antibodies, but I thought we had it too.
So, we will continue our hand washing and mask wearing and hopefully remain covid free.

I'm curious - do you still now think that you had it back then? Very few people outside China ought to have had time to develop symptoms by then, although if you go into any local Facebook group you can find plenty people convinced they had it last December, although their symptoms sound like flu and there were no reports of people turning up at the ICU with their blood oxygen at 70% and/or multiple organ failure.

I didn’t think I had it at the time but self isolated anyway after driving my wife up to Edinburgh to look after her sister who was due home from hospital on the 3rd of March after open heart surgery and the very last thing she needed was a hacking cough and a fever. Over time I convinced myself I’d maybe had it and the NHS research into possible missed cases added to my belief. Anyway, now I know for certain that it was most likely just a nasty respiratory virus that I had.

I joined my wife and SIL after 10 days and we returned Home the day before lockdown in England.

Last edited:
We survived our new condo where workmen were in and out making various things right.

We put a sign on the door saying do not enter without a mask. We also would not take the elevator when someone unmasked was on.

Shopping trips were bad early on (coming home and stripping, into the shower and washer) but later on the social distancing was good.

Biggest risk so far was a fully-loaded American flight to DFW. Everyone was masked.

Just completed our 14 day isolation in Canada. Staying away from the beaches where the youngsters are tempting fate.

I know several people who have gotten it and survived. I live in a 55+ community and they are not taking it very seriously IMHO. I keep staying home and trying to move 6 feet away when people are talking with me.

Until someone they know gets it and either gets very sick or dies, a lot of people around me will continue to think it's political.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom