no spare tire

mn54

Full time employment: Posting here.
I am looking at purchasing a honda accord hybrid. I like everything about this car except it does not come with a spare. they do this to increase the mpg rating. would you buy a car with no spare? or buy an extra tire and wheel and throw it in the trunk?

The Mercedes I purchased a few months ago didn't have a spare either. It does have run flats which makes me feel a bit better. That being said, it has probably been 25 years since I had to use a spare anyway.

Besides improved EPA mileage #'s, I believe the rationale is that flats are rare, and blow-outs extremely rare. So at worst one might get a flat, use that inflater-thingie to get them home or to a service station, so no need for spare tire. Both of my cars have spare tires. I'm still old-fashioned enough that if I were to buy a car I would spring for a spare tire and keep it in the trunk.

I’ve driven my 2001 corvette 90000 miles with no spare since I bought it in 2001. Never had a flat. It came with run flats, but I replaced them with regular tires at around 30000 miles.

I wouldn’t worry about not having a spare, unless you drive off road a lot. Just get AAA.

A manufacturer who is too cheap to put a spare tire in the car does not deserve my consideration for business. No, I would not buy a car with no spare. And yes, I have needed to use them on more than one occasion.

Even with run flats I carry a compact spare since most run flats are only rated to go about 50 miles. I also carry flat repair kits and a small air pump with me and "usually" I can fix the flat with the wheel/tire still on the car. YMMV :)

I have this (probably irrational) fear of getting a flat in some "far from anywhere" location late at night with the flat wheel in soft dirt as the torrential rainstorm/snowstorm comes down with a vengeance. The thought of trying to use that little inflator and tire plug kit that came with the car in those conditions is just too daunting. So I bought a donut spare that lives in the trunk when I travel any serious distance from home. It adds a little weight and takes up some space, but gives me great peace of mind.

It's all to save you $100.

Enjoy your Hybrid. I have Toyota's latest version, and I'm missing nothing about conventional gasoline powered vehicles. And it's nice to get 20 mpg more than the typical car.

My 2017 Chrysler Pacifica does not have a spare. It comes from the factory with a flat repair kit that contains a bottle of tire sealant and a 12v air pump. Not very useful for a blowout but they're pretty rare.

A spare tire isn't needed until you do need it. Cheap insurance.

A close friend hit a pothole three weeks ago and blew his tire. No spare and he called Roadside Assistance (which came with the car purchase). They told him 4 -5 hours wait (holiday weekend) to send a tow truck. Yeah, lots of fun.

Normally you only wait an hour or two....

If the car has space for one, and I loved the car, I'd just budget the cost in (or negotiate it into the price), and get one after-market myself.

If the car had no place for one it would take up non-dedicated storage, that would annoy me enough to look at other options - but I think this is a common problem w/hybrids and electrics.

They told him 4 -5 hours wait (holiday weekend) to send a tow truck. Yeah, lots of fun.

Normally you only wait an hour or two....

Exactly, and that was what I saw others waiting for with AAA's useless "free roadside assistance". Yeah, since they're low bid and if the tow truck has any other better-paying jobs pending you stay at the end of the line. And bet it's going to be either -10° or 110° while you wait. No thanks.

If it's available I can change the spare in 10-15 minutes. They can keep their stupid inflator cans.

If you have a car w/ no spare tire consider at least a plug plus a small air compressor. The fix flat cans do not always stop the leak.

The best thing is to buy a spare tire and a jack at a local junk yard.

My friend went to a fiesta to discover his tire was flat at 3:00 am and far from home not a good thing.

The title of this thread made me think there was a new way to trim my waistline - LOL :) imagine my surprise with all of the car talk

About 5 years ago I hit a deep pot hole hard enough to bend the rim, on a rainy night. I was able to get the car under cover, and change to the donut spare. Glad I had it, and I'd always want one.

If the car has space for one, and I loved the car, I'd just budget the cost in (or negotiate it into the price), and get one after-market myself.

If the car had no place for one it would take up non-dedicated storage, that would annoy me enough to look at other options - but I think this is a common problem w/hybrids and electrics.
This. Our kid moved out of state in the summer of 2016, and the vehicle we signed over didn't come with a spare tire. Just an air pump and sealant, which wouldn't help in a blowout and produced a mess inside the tire that was difficult to clean up later.

Fortunately, there was a dedicated spot for a spare tire and changing kit (available on the lower powered models), so both were purchased and added to the trunk before the vehicle was shipped to the new location.

Last edited:
Our last vehicle, which we owned for 10 years(a Mercedes), had no spare but had run flat tires. We never had a problem, even though we had to replace a couple of tires that had picked up nails during that period. We were never in a situation where were we would be more than 30 miles from service.

We just replaced that vehicle with a 2020 version of the original SUV that we had owned. Same situation.

Neither car had room for a spare and we would not consider driving around with a spare in the cargo area. YMMV.

I put an electric air pump and patch kit in my Tesla. Last time I tried to change a flat the EMTs had to come rescue me.

Last edited:
No spare tire on my BMW Z4 with run flats. Do have AA and just not worried.

IIRC, Al had a similar themed thread on his Tesla a while ago. Never say never but I would prefer cars with at least a donut spare, and preferably a full sized spare. Both of our current vehicles have spare tires.

I have had 3 flat tires in the past year. GET A SPARE. :)

No weird driving just messy roads here. (Nails).

I had a flat in my driveway (thank goodness), and went to put the spare on to get it fixed. I was shocked to find no spare, just the inflater. Since the tire shop was a mile away, I just pumped the tire up and got it fixed.
I then got on line and ordered the entire kit- tire, jack, tools, etc.

Last edited:
I am looking at purchasing a honda accord hybrid. I like everything about this car except it does not come with a spare. they do this to increase the mpg rating. would you buy a car with no spare? or buy an extra tire and wheel and throw it in the trunk?

You can probably buy one off a wreck at the junkyard pretty cheap, already mounted on the rim.

I have had 3 flat tires in the past year. GET A SPARE. :)

No weird driving just messy roads here. (Nails).

I drove for over a year with a slow leak, kept having to pump up my tire. Finally decided to get it fixed as it was leaking faster (only last a couple of days).
Turned out it was a nail in the tire. :eek:

I had driven it with a nail in the tire for over a year !!

Weirdly, a few weeks later the other tire started to go soft, so I took it back to the same shop as they had only charged me $30 to fix the flat and I had watched the guy the entire time.
Turned out I had picked up another nail, so another $30.

Still have not used the spare that came with the vehicle :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom