no spare tire

It's all to save you $100.

Enjoy your Hybrid. I have Toyota's latest version, and I'm missing nothing about conventional gasoline powered vehicles. And it's nice to get 20 mpg more than the typical car.

You get 20 mpg more?

Are you a serious lead foot?

Do you try to burn rubber every time you take it out of park?

We have three vehicles. All of them have a set of summer tires and a set of studded winter tires. If I ever need a tire quick, my plan is to call my wife to bring me one of those extra tires.

My usual vehicle is plugged in to our household solar power system, being charged with solar power.

I have a compact spare but had to look it up to be sure. I forgot to check when I got my car - I just assumed it had one. Yeah I know what that makes me. :) I will be looking at new cars in the spring and will pay attention. I am curious about driving without a spare. People referenced pumps and repair kits. A pump doesn't sound like much help unless you got a slow leak. A fast leak would require a repair but how do you do that on the side of the road?

I have a compact spare but had to look it up to be sure. I forgot to check when I got my car - I just assumed it had one. Yeah I know what that makes me. :) I will be looking at new cars in the spring and will pay attention. I am curious about driving without a spare. People referenced pumps and repair kits. A pump doesn't sound like much help unless you got a slow leak. A fast leak would require a repair but how do you do that on the side of the road?
Many/some faster leaks (not all) can be repaired quickly with a patch kit and then inflated with a small pump.... A major blow out (the way I think of them) or a bead break need more than a patch kit and small air pump can handle. Like so many things, it depends...

Last edited:
The battery takes the place where the spare would go.

Our 2017 Ford Fusion Energi has no spare. Our 2013 Ford C-Max Energi had no spare.

Never had a flat. Knock on wood.

You could buy a spare and put it in the back seat or trunk if you were doing a long trip.

Both cars are my wife's car. If she had a flat, she'd have to "call someone" anyway.

If you carry AAA or some other similar insurance then you really don't need a spare that will dry rot before it is used. IF you have a problem then they will take you to a tire shop. You won't have to spend time on the roadside changing to a spare tire and get dirty with brake dust. Most people don't know how to change a tire anyway. That being said I do like to have a spare tire and I have the skills to make the change quickly. I just don't see it as a deal breaker for me either way.

Cheers!

Having AAA or others is good. Based on my last 2 experiences, it would be a lot faster to do it myself and not wait 2 hours.

If you carry AAA or some other similar insurance then you really don't need a spare that will dry rot before it is used. IF you have a problem then they will take you to a tire shop. You won't have to spend time on the roadside changing to a spare tire and get dirty with brake dust.

Changing a tire is trivial; I've done it many, many times since I was old enough to drive. That's not the issue here IMO.

Considering your example, the last time I found myself in this predicament I was in a remote area with zero cellphone coverage, so I couldn't have called for help without a very long hike. It was also raining, which didn't make things any easier. Fortunately, I had a donut spare so I could get to where I could get the tire fixed, but otherwise I would certainly have been in a world of hurt. As I said above, it's all about peace of mind.

I wouldn't drive a car without a spare tire. When you need it you really need it, it can be a life saver.

For driving around town or in other populated areas with cell coverage, having no spare tire is a virtue (higher MPG, lower weight, reduced cost, etc.). However, for times when we go on driving trips into remote areas, which happens a lot, a spare tire is mandatory. Which is why I purchased a vehicle with a full-sized spare.

DW has pointed out that I drive around with 2 spare tires.
One in the trunk, and the other just above my belt. :LOL::LOL:
The one above your belt will carry you for many more miles than the one in your trunk.

And be thankful the one above your belt isn't hanging over and below your belt too! :LOL:

Last edited:
would you buy a car with no spare? or buy an extra tire and wheel and throw it in the trunk?

I personally would not buy a vehicle without the specifically designed storage space for a spare tire. I have bought a new vehicle and had them only include the spare wheel as I knew I could purchase the tire cheaper elsewhere.

In 3-ish decades of driving I have only needed the spare on a personal vehicle once and I am glad I had it. The sidewall blew out due to me foolishly hitting a curb and the tire being dry-rotted as it sat for about three years while I lived overseas. I have had many, many tire punctures which required me to stop though-well into the double digits. I carry plug kits and an air compressor and it handles the problem.

This was one of my more recent ones. 530 in the morning, felt it go in the tire and then the obvious out of round issues. 15 minutes after stopping I was back on the road after double plugging the tire. I know if I had to wait on AAA or my insurance company's roadside assistance it would have been much longer. That tire lasted another 15K miles before I changed the set on their regular interval.

IMG-1453.jpg

IMG-1454.jpg

One of my longer repairs was when driving through Birmingham, AL on I-20 and one of those stupid black rubber bungee cords with the silver hooks came off a tow truck to my front right. It hooked right into my front passenger side tire and beat the heck out of my front fender before ripping out. I could easily hear the air hissing out. I pulled off the highway in a shady part of town, put the Glock back in my holster, repaired the tire, and was on the road in less than an hour.

BL--the spare came in handy the one time I NEEDED it. The plugs and air compressors have put me back on the road much faster than the spare would have.

Changing a tire is trivial; I've done it many, many times since I was old enough to drive. That's not the issue here IMO.

20 years ago, I would have agreed with you. Back in the day, I had to change a tire every couple of years (cheap cars and old tires, etc.) But last time DW got a flat, she called ME. I took one look at the "set up" for changing the tire and called my insurance company "help line" which I pay for! Why get dirty and maybe hurt myself since I pay for the service. Only took an hour from call to drive off. I could have figured it out and done the job in maybe half an hour.

It's true that there are still some areas not covered by cell service, but they are becoming more and more rare.

Regarding not having a spare, I'm guessing I'd be okay with run-flats or the blow-up can/tire pump. I have used those (even when I had a spare) a few times. It's good enough to get to a tire changing place unless you bend a rim or get a blow out. I guess it's playing the percentages but YMMV.

I personally would not buy a vehicle without the specifically designed storage space for a spare tire. I have bought a new vehicle and had them only include the spare wheel as I knew I could purchase the tire cheaper elsewhere.

In 3-ish decades of driving I have only needed the spare on a personal vehicle once and I am glad I had it. The sidewall blew out due to me foolishly hitting a curb and the tire being dry-rotted as it sat for about three years while I lived overseas. I have had many, many tire punctures which required me to stop though-well into the double digits. I carry plug kits and an air compressor and it handles the problem.

This was one of my more recent ones. 530 in the morning, felt it go in the tire and then the obvious out of round issues. 15 minutes after stopping I was back on the road after double plugging the tire. I know if I had to wait on AAA or my insurance company's roadside assistance it would have been much longer. That tire lasted another 15K miles before I changed the set on their regular interval.

IMG-1453.jpg

IMG-1454.jpg

One of my longer repairs was when driving through Birmingham, AL on I-20 and one of those stupid black rubber bungee cords with the silver hooks came off a tow truck to my front right. It hooked right into my front passenger side tire and beat the heck out of my front fender before ripping out. I could easily hear the air hissing out. I pulled off the highway in a shady part of town, put the Glock back in my holster, repaired the tire, and was on the road in less than an hour.

BL--the spare came in handy the one time I NEEDED it. The plugs and air compressors have put me back on the road much faster than the spare would have.

I carry a plug kit in both cars although I have spare tires. Best thing for a puncture fix. I also have a small air compressor in both. We needed this setup in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan to summers ago when we had picked up a screw on out two week trip up there.

My 2012 car came without a spare. It came with the tire goo and a compressor. I quickly bought a used wheel and a used tire. I carry the both tire and the goo so I have options. . sort of a belt and suspenders thing, I guess. I don't like the space saver tires that are limited in both speed and distance. 50MPH and 50 miles I think. With a full sized spare, you can continue your journey as if nothing happened. I can change a tire in ~15 minutes if motivated.

Note, if you do get a steel wheel spare, make sure you also get the right lug nuts. alloy wheels and steel wheels often use different style nuts.

I have this (probably irrational) fear of getting a flat in some "far from anywhere" location late at night with the flat wheel in soft dirt as the torrential rainstorm/snowstorm comes down with a vengeance.

Just knock on the door of the nearest castle and ask the hunchback who answers the door for help!

I get it, though. I think my last flat was about 20 years ago and I think the likelihood of my needing a spare is pretty slim, but there's something about having one. OTOH, the spare in my Ridgeline is a little doughnut and it's in the trunk of the pickup, so if I have a load of mulch in the bed I'm screwed.

I've had two tire "incidents" in the last 20 years:

1. Got a piece of metal in the sidewall of one tire. This was during a vacation. The tire monitoring system (at the time a new concept) let us know that the tire was slowly losing air. Is stopped, saw the problem, and drove about 40 miles to a tire shop that carried the tire I need. Had to wait, but it was lunch time, so had a nice leisurely lunch while they worked.

2. Hit a very nasty pot hole outside of Atlanta. Blew out both right side tires. Pulled right over and pressed the call button in the car. They sent a flatbed truck and took us in and replaced both tires.

So in (1) didn't need a spare and in (2) one spare wouldn't have been sufficient.

About five years ago, I ran into a curb in a way that created a 4" long gash in the sidewall. Fortunately, I had a spare and was on my way in about 20 minutes. I'll never buy a car that doesn't allow for a spare tire (I'm OK with buying my own if there's a place to put it); a puncture repair kit is not enough.

If the car has space for one, and I loved the car, I'd just budget the cost in (or negotiate it into the price), and get one after-market myself.

If the car had no place for one it would take up non-dedicated storage, that would annoy me enough to look at other options - but I think this is a common problem w/hybrids and electrics.

I bought an after market full sized rim for my 2014 Toyota Highlander after first set of tires. Kept the best one. We do four 700+ mile trips a year. For $60 it was worth the piece of mind. It fits in the "well" with a slight tilt to it but is well above the exhaust and suspension.

Good Luck,

Wally

My tesla has no spare. You can call for their roadside assitance and they will bring you a 'loaner" tire, but hold your tire hostage to be repaired or replaced at the dealers discretion. It is inconvenient and reduces your lower cost options for repair or replace. If this happened when not in my home town unsure how taking my tire works.

I have a 2006 truck I use to haul a camper and upgraded to 19" steel wheels and 14 ply commercial tires to handle the load. A spare won't fit any more. I do have roadside service and I'll let them take over the hazard of changing a flat on the side of a highway, or loading me up and taking me in. I do have a patch/plug kit as well as a robust tire pump. In an emergency, I can get it back on the road again.
My wife's car has a spare. She's gotten a couple flats and uses roadside assistance that comes with our insurance. Both times the tow truck loaded her up and took her to the local Walmart so they could fix the tire and not run the undersized spare. I guess they didn't want to deal with changing a flat on the shoulder of the road either.

I am looking at purchasing a honda accord hybrid. I like everything about this car except it does not come with a spare. they do this to increase the mpg rating. would you buy a car with no spare? or buy an extra tire and wheel and throw it in the trunk?

Did you conclude anything from the above posts?

We rejected the new Honda CRV because it does not have a spare. Would hate the uncertainty if we were way out there in a national park. So in this case we will look at the Rav4 instead (when Covid makes vacations more practical).

Last edited:
I guess they didn't want to deal with changing a flat on the shoulder of the road either.

I guess out in flyover country you can get away with that but here in the East changing a tire on the side of the road, especially on an interstate, is a deadly exercise. No tow truck driver with more sense than a box of rocks will do that. Instead they load the vehicle up and change the tire elsewhere. It is not intended to run up extra charges, it is to stay alive.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom