Golf Talk Tuesdays - 2021

I find that putting well or not has to do with confidence. I played the worst round in recent memory last Wednesday and had 40+ putts. First hole, shotgun format, par 3 hole 16, got it on the green and 5 putts. I had been having putting issues and worked on it alot, so much so that I froze on Wednesday, aka putting yips.

I came home and told my husband that I was giving up golf. On Thursday, I refused to practice putting before my round and my putting was back to almost normal. Today, I did not practice putting before the Sweetheart Tournament at the club and we won. I was putting lights out. I swear, putting is about keeping it simple. The more we stress over it the worse it gets.

I swear, putting is about keeping it simple. The more we stress over it the worse it gets.
After green reading and alignment (both crucial), I agree the mechanics of putting are about keeping it simple. I’m not a great putter but I putt best if I am
  • totally relaxed,
  • start my swing with my shoulders (no wrists), and
  • I use backswing length to alter distance (vs “hit it harder/softer”).
If my wrists get involved I pull or push. And if I tell myself to ‘hit it harder or softer’, I will hit it too long or short - the same tempo with shorter or longer backswing works better for me.

And a recent discovery. I’ve used a mid sized putter grip for 4 years. I trialed two putters over the weekend with old school “pistolini” grips, felt horrible and my alignment was awful. I couldn’t get putts started on my intended line at all. I’ll probably never go back to a putter with a skinny grip…

Last edited:
For putting--practice, practice, practice. I have one of those indoor putting machines that sends the ball back to you. On days I don't play I try to practice 10-15 minutes on the putting green or in my house. I am a good putter and almost always win low puts in tournaments.

Unless I'm within 5', I don't expect putts to go in, for me, victory is leaving the next put within 1-2' and preferably tap-in range.

What kills a lot of golfers is missing the twenty-footer and having a 3' comebacker.

Speaking of which, I saw Jordan Spieth botch a bunny putt yesterday... seems like it was a combination of him rushing to finish the hole and an awkward stance to not step in another player's line.

I guess golf probably isn't a big topic while the Super Bowl is taking place but attended the WM Open in Phoenix on Thurs/Fri after several years of not attending. I doubt there are any other golf tournaments like it, basically it's a big drunken party that happens to have a golf tournament take place at the same time and location. I also doubt if most of the people attending play golf or care about golf. It used to be that most of the partying took place inside the 16th hole stadium, and you could easily avoid it but not anymore, just not enough room on that one hole to hold them all. I actually enjoy watching it on TV but in person it's a whole different experience, won't be going back anytime soon.

Went on Thursday myself. Me and about 100,000 other people. Best way to watch this tourney (been five or six times) is to head out to holes 3-6 at the far end of the course. Very few people and the drinkers don't like to walk that far. Saturday is a no for me as I don't need to be around 200,000 people.

Did like the scene at 16th hole with the holes in one. Reminded me of a hat trick at a hockey game when everyone throws their hats on the ice.

Went on Thursday myself. Me and about 100,000 other people. Best way to watch this tourney (been five or six times) is to head out to holes 3-6 at the far end of the course. Very few people and the drinkers don't like to walk that far. Saturday is a no for me as I don't need to be around 200,000 people.

I've always liked to follow groups around the course. Did notice a new drinking hole not too far from the 5th green that I hadn't seen before, they must be trying to spread things out. Could see a group of food type trucks parked in a circle with tables in the middle, went over to grab a bite to eat only to find out the trucks were only serving alcohol. I heard they stopped releasing attendance numbers, Friday afternoon was near insanity, human traffic jams in the hole 1,10,18 triangle and in the hole 15,16 area. Can't imagine what it was like on Saturday.

That's turning out to be one expensive phone call Phil Mickelson made to sportswriter Alan Shipnuck. Phil seems like a fairly smart guy but it's hard to comprehend what he was thinking when he made that call explaining the proposed Saudi financed golf league. His endorsement income is estimated at $40M/year, sounds like a decent chunk of that will be impacted. Memories fade quickly so he'll probably get some of it back eventually but it's going to cost him in the short term for sure. Not much hope for the new league now, most if not all of the big name players have turned it down.

Last edited:
That's turning out to be one expensive phone call Phil Mickelson made to sportswriter Alan Shipnuck. Phil seems like a fairly smart guy but it's hard to comprehend what he was thinking when he made that call explaining the proposed Saudi financed golf league. His endorsement income is estimated at $40M/year, sounds like a decent chunk of that will be impacted. Memories fade quickly so he'll probably get some of it back eventually but it's going to cost him in the short term for sure. Not much hope for the new league now, most if not all of the big name players have turned it down.

I think Phil is toast. Also, anyone who goes to the Saudi league will lose much of their sponsorships. PGA is where sponsors want their money to go to work - it is about eyeballs. PGA is going to get the most eyeballs.

I think Phil is toast. Also, anyone who goes to the Saudi league will lose much of their sponsorships. PGA is where sponsors want their money to go to work - it is about eyeballs. PGA is going to get the most eyeballs.

Phil is (has) lost most of his sponsors. I doubt if he will show his face in another PGA tournament. Maybe in a few years when this blows over he will show up on the Champions tournaments. :LOL:

Phil will slowly fade into the sunset on the senior tour. What he said off the record was actually pretty true though.

Buh bye Phil…I won’t miss him at all, and neither will his peers. He finally exposed who he really is. He may come back eventually, but he’ll never regain all his (former) fans or sponsors.

One of my friends currently on vacation (in a much warmer place) told me how he played a shot with a restricted backswing. He didn't know if it was legal and really didn't care that much, he was just happy with his ingenuity. My first thought is that it is legal but perhaps one of you might know for sure?

He had no backswing but he was able to position the club just behind the ball and kick the club. That applied enough force to move the ball up 30 yards or so. Is that a legal shot?

Your friend probably did have a backswing, though it may not have been in the direction-line he wanted - there are several legal options to advance the ball in that situation. I would assume kicking a club isn’t a legal stroke under 4.3a, but I’m no expert. Customarily in that situation you hit left handed (RH player), underhanded, along a different line/direction than toward the hole (with the club face hooded or open) OR take an unplayable.

Rule 10.1c may be in play as well depending on where your friend took his stance and/or having his foot on the “line of play” at impact.
4.3 Use of Equipment

Rule 4.3 applies to all types of equipment that you might use during your round.

This Rule only concerns how you use equipment. It does not limit the equipment that you may have with you during a round.

a. Allowed and Prohibited Uses of Equipment

You may use equipment to help your play during a round, except that you must not create a potential advantage by:

Using equipment (other than a club or a ball) that artificially eliminates or reduces the need for a skill or judgment that is essential to the challenge of the game, or

Using equipment (including a club or a ball) in an abnormal way in making your stroke. “Abnormal way” means a way that is fundamentally different than its intended use and is not normally recognized as part of playing the game.
Rule 10.1c. Making Stroke While Standing Across or on Line of Play

The player must not make a stroke from a stance with a foot deliberately placed on each side of, or with either foot deliberately touching, the line of play or an extension of that line behind the ball.

Last edited:
I think that Midpack is correct. Along with 14.1. Players must strike at the ball with the clubhead rather than pushing it, scraping it or moving it with other non-striking actions.

I'm booked on a beginners class over 3 afternoons starting after Easter.

Do I catch this bug? :D

Thank you all - I will start looking for golf lessons today.

Yes it seems we have a similar ability test I need to pass. It does not seem to be very hard - and perhaps just as much to teach us about dos and don'ts on the green.

I think that Midpack is correct. Along with 14.1. Players must strike at the ball with the clubhead rather than pushing it, scraping it or moving it with other non-striking actions.

So a hockey style wrist shot where the club starts directly behind the ball, never moves backwards and only moves forward would not be striking the ball I suspect. But if you did the same thing with the club starting 1/4" behind the ball then it would arguably be striking the ball?

He didn't push the ball. The club was just behind the ball but not touching when he kicked it, technically it was a strike. However, 10.1c that Midpack noted seems to cover that scenerio. This part covers it too:

Using equipment (including a club or a ball) in an abnormal way in making your stroke. “Abnormal way” means a way that is fundamentally different than its intended use and is not normally recognized as part of playing the game.

So who wins the 2022 Masters? Scheffler, C Smith, Im or someone else? Scheffler and Smith have been at the top of their game and clutch under pressure lately - could be epic! I hope so…

So who wins the 2022 Masters? Scheffler, C Smith, Im or someone else? Scheffler and Smith have been at the top of their game and clutch under pressure lately - could be epic! I hope so…

Tiger Woods, of course. :LOL:

Seriously, I think Smith is going to pull it out. I just get the feeling that Scheffler is more inclined to fold (screw up) and I don’t see that in Smith. Either way, it should be good tv viewing this fine Sunday.

Look out for Rory McIlroy! 6 under thru 13 today.
Edit: 7 under for this round, 6 under for the tournament.

Congrats to Scheffler, what a run he’s had since Feb - has anyone ever won 4 of 6 starts on the PGA Tour (including THE major)? Massive respect to Smith, I was surprised to see him falter, he’ll wear green one day. And McIlroy, Lowry, Morikawa, Zalatoris, Conners, Thomas and Champ all shot 72 or below. The Masters on Sunday never disappoints…never.

Congrats to Scheffler, what a run he’s had since Feb - has anyone ever won 4 of 6 starts on the PGA Tour (including THE major)? Massive respect to Smith, I was surprised to see him falter, he’ll wear green one day. And McIlroy, Lowry, Morikawa, Zalatoris, Conners, Thomas and Champ all shot 72 or below. The Masters on Sunday never disappoints…never.

Agreed. It was a great round of golf to watch today.

+1 It was even a bit funny to see Scottie muff a couple short bunny putts at the end but he had played so well on the previous 71 holes that it didn't matter a bit.

Great weekend of golf.

How about those consecutive holeouts from the bunkers by McIlroy and Morikawa on 18! I wonder if there have ever been consecutive holeouts from the sand in the history of the majors... it has to be very rare.

I thought that Scheffler got real lucky on 3 where he holed that low, skidding chip.. good thing for him that the flag got in the way otherwise he would have had a very long comebacker. That shifted the momentum for sure.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom