Where Do You Get Your Fiber?

Qs Laptop

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
For most people the FDA recommended daily amount of fiber is 28 grams. I use the My Fitness Pal app to monitor my food intake and it recommends 30 grams. I'm finding it difficult to take in 30 grams of fiber.

Where do people find 30 grams of fiber per day?

I know most of the usual suspects--broccoli, bananas, almonds, apples. I also know there are some foods high in fiber but I simply don't like to eat them like brussels sprouts, chickpeas, oatmeal, artichokes, avocados. Most food touted as being high fiber does not contain that much fiber per serving making it impractical to rely on for your daily fiber content. For example, a medium raw apple (eat the peel) has about 4 grams; potato (eat skin) 4.5 grams; 1 cup broccoli has 5 grams.

I have found a couple of things that have a dense amount of fiber. The aptly named "Fiber One" cereal has 10 grams per serving. Have a bowl in the morning and you are one-third of your way to your daily intake.

Fiber-One-Honey.jpg

Fiber brownies are a great way to get a good dose of fiber and satisfy your sweet tooth. Five grams per serving. Makes a great dessert item.

Fiber-Brownie.jpg

I've taken to eating a low calorie bread that has high fiber. It's remarkably soft and doesn't taste grainy or like sawdust like so many high-fiber breads do. 5 grams per two slices.

Sara-Lee-Delightful.jpg

So where do you get your fiber?

Nuts! Peanuts anybody? Nuts have a lot of fiber.

Fruits too. Go for a orange instead of orange juice as an example.

Nuts! Peanuts anybody? Nuts have a lot of fiber.

A single serving of peanuts, 1 oz., has 2 grams fiber and 170 calories. If you ate 5 oz. of peanuts you would get 10 grams of fiber and consume 850 calories. By comparison, there is 10 grams of fiber in one serving of Fiber One cereal.

Fruits too. Go for a orange instead of orange juice as an example.

One medium orange has 3 grams fiber, 73 calories. Who wants to eat 3 oranges per day?

Chia seeds mixed with yogurt, nuts, fruit (some kinds).

Yes, Chia seeds have a high concentration of fiber, about 9.5 grams per ounce. That's about 3 tablespoons of seeds by volume. Cost about 50 cents per ounce. I might have to try this. Thanks.

FLaxseeds mixed with yogurt, cereal etc. Flaxseed is very high in Soluble Fiber

Yes, Chia seeds have a high concentration of fiber, about 9.5 grams per ounce. That's about 3 tablespoons of seeds by volume. Cost about 50 cents per ounce. I might have to try this. Thanks.

You can put Chia seeds on just about anything (yogurt, salads, mix with scrambled eggs, etc, etc) and they are tasteless. Work good, too!

I am low carb. I get most of my fiber from low starch vegetables. I eat a lot of vegetables, including those that OP does not like.

Wheat is NOT my friend, and I typically avoid grains. I do not eat processed foods with added sugar.

Last edited:
Last edited:
DW eats steel cut oatmeal a lot, plus lots of fruits, veggies and almonds or other nuts, Kashi GO cereal, beans and she puts flax seed on everything too (fiber and lowering cholesterol). I get my fiber by eating what she puts in front of me when she cooks half our meals.

Last edited:
I eat about 6x weekly 3/4 cup of Bran Buds cereal which is good for 25 grams of fiber and usually a banana when playing Pickleball.

I eat a huge salad and quite a bit of fruit most days and that alone gets me close but that may not help the OP. I don't always buy yogurt but when I do, I get Oikos Triple Zero 11g protein and 3g fiber.

I personally need a lot of fiber. If I don't get it, my gut is not happy. My doctor says Fiber One cereal is the best source and I eat it every day. I also take Metamucil. I also eat nuts and high fiber fruits (like pears and prunes). When I had my colonoscopy the doc told me he could tell I ate high fiber because I was clean as a whistle. The doctor said a high fiber diet helps avoid colon cancer.

+1 for flax meal and chia seeds.

I eat "whole food, plant based". Whole grains, beans, lentils, fruits, veggies, potatoes, nuts and seeds...

Fiber is no issue. Meat, fish, dairy have no fiber. Since these make up most of the standard American diet, most get insufficient fiber.

Grape Nuts have good fiber.

Lots of veggies. I eat low carb, and meat or eggs plus lots of low carb veggies make up most of my diet.

DISCLAIMER: I eschew the recommended amounts of almost everything they recommend. They almost never add up or are never practical. However I do not reject the need for fiber. I think it's just eat what keeps you regular and feeling well and don't force feed any more just to meet some kind of quota.

CLAIMER: Raw carrots. A couple handfuls per day. Don't count "ounces or grams. It's probably close to 1/4 -1/2 lb going by the 1 lb bag and serving sizes Also, dinner always includes. I also, use a few tsp's of wheat dextrin (Benefiber for the name branders). You can use it in water, coffee, tea, juice, or even mix it with your food so there's no "extra consumption" required a la Metamucil or Citrucil

BEWARE NUTS! I used to consume almonds everyday. A pretty good amount. Real good for fiber/regularity and all that. Then I needed surgery for a kidney stone. Then I had to triage my diet to see what had the most "oxalates" in it. Almonds caused the whole problem. Nuts in general. Peanuts the least (I guess 'cause they're not really nuts) Almonds super high oxalates.

Last edited:
A bit more that just some guy on the internet. Dr Zoe is always fun to listen to.

Back
Top Bottom