Greenspan: Appetite for Dollar to Dwindle

I remember Robert Rubin saying a strong dollar was important. We shall see who is right.

Strong dollar--weak dollar, they're both right. Just tradeoffs and they reinforce the need for some financial diversification. But most S&P500 companies have strong foreign operations as well as foreign companies being active here. The people who really need to pay attention to these issues are those who live outside of the US but get their funds from US sources. For the rest of us, add some foreign holdings and keep on course.

My mother (85) lives in St. Thomas ON and receives a monthly Railroad Retirement benefit in $US each month.

My aunt (87) a retired nurse who worked in Buffalo in the 50's, 60's, and 70's receives a $US SS cheque each month.

Both are getting a royal sh*t kicking! :'(

Mrs. Zipper and I will probably go to Florida for a month or so and we're happy. :D

how about making an investment play on this? what are some well-performing blue chips that make a large percentage of their profits overseas? (and i'm not thinking Coca-Cola right now). Wrigley, J and J, Gilette, there's scores more out there, Caterpillar, anyone buying stocks with the falling dollar in mind?

There are at least two types of plays:

1) Pick any US company that is currently losing ground to international competition for domestic sales.   Boeing and auto makers come to mind.

2) Pick any US company with a large amount of export business.   I'm not sure a company like Coke would benefit since their international operations are probably based internationally.   CAT might be a good play, as you say.

John Mauldin writes on the dollar this week. The site requests an email address, but I don't think that they validate it. Anyway, I think this link may bypass the email check. http://www.frontlinethoughts.com/printarticle.asp?id=mwo111904

I like reading his weekly blurbs, and although I don't always agree with them, they are usually interesting and thought provoking. Anyone else who usually reads his weekly newsletter here?

Wayne

Well, thank you Michael. Nice to know I have a fan :)

John Galt

Back
Top Bottom