Wow, what a meteor!

Telly

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
This morning while walking, I saw the brightest, longest lasting meteor I have ever seen. You didn't have to look for it!

I caught something really bright in my peripheral vison, and turned to face it while walking. Facing South, it was coming down at about a 45 degree angle from the West. Very very bright, and big.  Greenish white was the color I saw. Heavier trees blocked my view of it as it got down nearer to the horizon. It lasted for seconds, enough to continue a few walking steps. Without thinking, I actually expected to hear a "bang", I guess because of the brightness!

Usually when I have seen meteors, they are fast and quick, no time to look around. Not this one!

I've never seen one like this morning's.  Was about 6:30 AM Central Time.  Probably freaked anybody out driving South with a view of the sky. Watch, later today I'll hear that Columbia was destroyed by a meteorite, and the world price of Coke went stratospheric.

Sounds neat. I saw one like that when I was about 15. I was inside the house working on homework, and saw it go all the way across the sky, with colors and, IIRC, a smoke trail. Sight of a lifetime!

I was out backpacking at Cape Alava on the Washington coast, and saw a meteor come in, and then break up into about a dozen smaller meteors.... kinda looked like a roman candle. It was bright enough to briefly light up the area :) That's my 'cool meteor' story. :)

Back
Top Bottom