Street Crime

haha

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Local News | Panhandling crackdown urged by Seattle council member | Seattle Times Newspaper

I spend a lot of time out, and I notice changes. Lately the violent crime situation right in the downtown core has gotten quite a bit worse. I subscribe to a service that summarizes a lot of 911 calls, police calls, etc. Yesterday or the day before there was a gunpoint robbery on Second Ave between Union and University at 3 PM. Now this about 3 blocks from the Pike Place Market entrance- you know the famous one with the big lit-up sign, and closer yet to the King County building and also very near to the Federal Building. It is a tiny bit west and south of the absolute retail core, but not much. The victim as robbed, then beaten up for good measure after he turned over his money.

Seems that a Seattle Councilmember has decided that this is bad for business, along with "aggressive panhandling". At first I was tolerant of panhandlers, but now I realize that many of them try to work by intimidation, and unless you react strongly (overreact?) when they approach too close, they are within easy crime distance and there you are compromised.

If I didn’t find suburbs boring I would consider a move, but for now I’ll just do my best to stay out of trouble.

Meanwhile, the newspaper informs me that police have at least arrested some bikini baristas. Glad I am being protected from something.

ha

Local News | Panhandling crackdown urged by Seattle council member | Seattle Times Newspaper

Meanwhile, the newspaper informs me that police have at least arrested some bikini baristas. Glad I am being protected from something.

ha

With due respect to the men and women in blue (and those retired on the forum) LEOs are little different than the rest of us when it comes to doing things the easy way. It's difficult to stop street crime because it's not very concentrated (hopefully!) Finding a "crime" in a bikini bar - not so difficult. Also, the hours are better and the scenery is more interesting.:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully your state isn't one that is swinging open the prison doors to balance the budget. Your street could get a bit more crowded.

Not sure what it would do for the bikini baristas population. :whistle:

I will do my part. Convicted, or even accused, bikini baristas can be incarcerated at my house. Heinous crime, that.

Steve

Wow - bikini baristas! What's with that? (Especially in Seattle - brrrrrr!) Glad my personal barista (DH) doesn't wear a bikini!

Audrey

haha, sure you don't want to move to BI? Our issues are primarily over indulgence.

haha, sure you don't want to move to BI? Our issues are primarily over indulgence.

I could probably fit in well with that anyway. :)

ha

The police have their priorities straight! Why stop aggressive panhandlers from helping you push the buttons at the ATM when they can be gathering evidence at more entertaining crime scenes?

The News Tribune of Tacoma reports the deputy confiscated the pasties as evidence.

:whistle:

As I listened to KUOW this morning I heard comments to the effect that Seattle has let their expectations of street behavior relax and there are safety issues, particularly around/in the Belltown neighborhood. If people perceive they aren't safe down town the economic slide will be precipitous. They need to get on top of this.

Back
Top Bottom