Viking Funerals

SumDay

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Our BIL passed recently, and SIL is bringing his ashes back to her hometown where they plan to be buried together.

Anyway, this got us discussing our cremation plans, and a friend told us about a Viking Funeral he attended (ashes, no body). I see this has been discussed before, but I had no idea that you could actually buy a little boat for your ashes. We planned to have our ashes scattered at a lake we frequent, and I think our kids would find this not only very therapeutic, but actually have some fun doing it.

Check it out: Dinghy Urn for Ocean Memorial Funeral

Death was such an uncomfortable subject for both sets of parents, and I want to pave the way for our kids so they know we weren't afraid. Don't want to get too spiritual here, so I'll stop.

I also want some of my ashes scattered on a lake, and this seems like a wonderful way to do it - thanks for the link!

Thank you

Thanks for sharing the link. It is the way I would love to go. When my wife died I took her ashes out in a kayak past the breakwater and scattered them. I was alone, as we had no children together. When I go, I would love to be sent off that way!

Last edited:
That is kind of neat, with a little thought any model/birdhouse builder could come up with their own personalized version of this idea.

In a few years, we will be able to get drones to drop a capsule into the water for burial at sea too.

Thank you for link. Now if I could just remember where I stashed the ashes I've been meaning to deal with. I know they're in one of the closets, but which one... ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom