New Car

ripper1

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I though I would do a spinoff from Papadad 111 about what cars we may be in the market for. I am looking to get into a large car now mostly for comfort and smooth ride. I am currently looking at either a 2017 Lincoln MKZ or Cadillac ATS. Does anybody own either one of these cars? And how do they feel about them.

I do not own either but I would suggest that you look at Buick. You may find that you get more for your $ vs the others.

I have a 2007 Lincoln MKX and I absolutely love it. Best car I have ever owned.

I am going to be purchasing a 2017 Ford F350. Aluminum body. Diesel. Probably a king ranch edition.

Nope, haven't owned a car with a trunk since 2000.....too limiting for our lifestyle.

Have you seen these videos about the aluminum bed?

I have. That was a f150. A go to the grocery store truck. When I watched the video, I was surprised they made the F150s in colors other than pink. :dance:

The F350s have a thicker bed. 17% thicker as I recall. Either way, no rust.

Last edited:
I though I would do a spinoff from Papadad 111 about what cars we may be in the market for. I am looking to get into a large car now mostly for comfort and smooth ride. I am currently looking at either a 2017 Lincoln MKZ or Cadillac ATS. Does anybody own either one of these cars? And how do they feel about them.

I don't own either.

I would be in the market for a new car, if the manufacturers and government folks could just come up with a model that I could DRIVE myself, making more of the decisions myself, like cars used to be fifteen or twenty years ago. :rant:Oh well, I'm obviously a cranky old lady but I'm not paying good money for what they are selling these days. I'll just keep my [-]nanny car[/-] 2009 Venza, which is bad enough as it is (by that I mean too many electronics and less freedom to make decisions myself than I would prefer). I don't have many miles on it so it should last for a while.

Last edited:
I like both the Lincoln and the Caddy. Have you considered a 300?

My next one will probably be an Impala.

I like both the Lincoln and the Caddy. Have you considered a 300?

My next one will probably be an Impala.

The ATS is nice, neighbor has one. I would also look at a Buick. More bang for the buck.

F350 is a mans truck. :dance:

I have. That was a f150. A go to the grocery store truck. When I watched the video, I was surprised they made the F150s in colors other than pink. :dance:

I wouldn't worry about rust on the bed of a Ford truck as much as every piece of metal under the bed including the frame, brake and fuel lines, exhaust system and all brackets. Around here after a few winters the underside of Ford trucks become a crusty mess.

Re: pickups, the commercial with the spokesperson who has the deepest voice indicates the most manly truck...

How about new cars that actually come with air bags that would not be re-called:facepalm:

Reactions: W2R
I wouldn't worry about rust on the bed of a Ford truck as much as every piece of metal under the bed including the frame, brake and fuel lines, exhaust system and all brackets. Around here after a few winters the underside of Ford trucks become a crusty mess.

On my third F350 and they all get this thin coat of rust on everything underneath. Does not seem to hurt anything in the long run, in my experience.

I am going to be purchasing a 2017 Ford F350. Aluminum body. Diesel. Probably a king ranch edition.

You better start getting you money together. Such a truck will be pushing $70K. The King Ranch option by itself is really, really expensive.

I'm keeping my old F250 Lariat diesel. It's expected to wear out about my age 95.

Just got an Acura MDX. Very nice! It is not the top of the line MDX and there are some things that are missing. DW wanted luxury therefor the Acura. If I had to do it over, I would get the Honda Pilot. You can get the top of the line Pilot which is equal to the Acura between five to ten thousand cheaper. Same engine, drive train, and body style. One feature I'm not sure Pilot has is active noise canceling. Our Acura does not have it but it is still very quite. We do have Acura watch, and adaptive cruise control. It was the reason for purchase. Both work really well.

I am probably going to go the mid-size route with a 2017 Honda Ridgeline. Because I only need the truck for minimal towing and dump/home depot runs I do not need a big truck. Plus the in-bed speakers are cool!:dance::facepalm:

Have are links to the rock and toolbox drop on the Ridge...

As a "car guy", I've had over 100 new cars. Fortunately, most were owned by the auto manufacturer--my employer.

Throughout the years, emissions and safety regulations have made autos and trucks to get increasingly complicated. They now have sensors and electronic modules all over them that communicate with each other through CAN/BUS which is essentially computer wiring.

Have a problem like mud on a ABS wheel sensor, and it will affect your engine control module, ABS (brake) module, transmission control module, stability control module, dash module, cruise control module and possibly more. Check lights will flash, and sometimes the engines will kick off in a fail safe mode. While it seems so serious, often the fix is to pop out the wheel sensor and wash it with a toothbrush and dishwashing liquid.

I have a Jaguar convertible that's been running me crazy for years with electronic problems. And I still long for the good "ole" days when automobiles were not so complicated as they are today.

We also have a Lexus (my 4th) that has 105K miles and has never seen the dealer for any reason--or ever been in the shop except for brakes and tires.

If you're going to be in the market for a full size automobile like the Lincoln or Cadillac, I would suggest you look at a Lexus GS. It's a car that has components that simply work as designed and they're bulletproof mechanically. The Lexus brand continues to lead the market in customer satisfaction, and they simply hold their resale value at the top of the market. Lastly, the Lexus dealers are a class of their own in quality--sales, parts and service.

The Lincoln and Cadillac are fine cars, but they're just not the best choice for a long term value in transportation. And I've had many Lincolns over the years.

Let me say just one more thing. There are many cars out there that I'd lease--and not buy. Lincolns, Cadillacs and Buicks are part of that bunch. I'd also lease any hybrid before buying one.

I just don't want to bet my pocketbook on future depreciation and the mechanics of these very complicated animals.

we have 2015 mkz, with most of the bells and whistles. massage seats, a/c and heated seats, adaptive cruise, thx sound. cooling seats are great, especially after work-out.
dw loves it, i love the adaptive cruise (our 1st car with it - set speed and distance to other cars and system adjusts speed as other cars in front slow to maintain distance, even brakes - still scary, but starting to get use to it).
ride is pretty smooth but i live in florida and roads suck here. i would like the old lincoln continental type ride (floating on air), but never found it, this was closest that we tried, but not that floating ride (do not think they make that kind of ride anymore

Back
Top Bottom