1.1 sec 0-60

^^^ How often do they have to replace the clutch? I imagine it would not last very long.

^^^ How often do they have to replace the clutch? I imagine it would not last very long.

Just like the engine, every run. Although they do check the worn clutch discs and floater plates (multi-disc clutches) and can reuse them if they check out OK. Especially the metal floater plates, the clutch discs are what have the wearable coating material.

The reason they only need single speed is that they make so much hp, that if they don't slip the clutch it will instantly go up in tire smoke. The clutch tuning and setting the engagement rate is a very fine balancing act to maximize acceleration vs available traction.

Just like the engine, every run...

I was afraid so, although I thought the engine would last a few runs.

I think it is better to switch to electric motors, then one can spend the effort to tweak the motor controller and the battery for racing. These things should last a bit longer than one run.

I think it is better to switch to electric motors, then one can spend the effort to tweak the motor controller and the battery for racing. These things should last a bit longer than one run.

No way an electric motor can make the required power level in a size that could work. The nitro engines are 11,000 hp out of 500 cu inches. An electric motor would be so large, and battery packs are not light, that weight would become the problem. Top fuel dragster is 2350 lbs range including driver. Varies slightly based on current rulebook.

Just like the engine, every run. Although they do check the worn clutch discs and floater plates (multi-disc clutches) and can reuse them if they check out OK. Especially the metal floater plates, the clutch discs are what have the wearable coating material.
From what I can tell, the "tuners" are pretty special guys too... A good combination of things like technical knowledge, mechanical skills and meteorology, among other things. But it's okay, they have plenty of time to get all of this done between runs.:(:nonono:

I can just about get my oil changed in the amount of time "they" rebuild and tune an engine... And I get to wait until my engine has cooled down before starting to work, they don't...

Last edited:
No way an electric motor can make the required power level in a size that could work. The nitro engines are 11,000 hp out of 500 cu inches. An electric motor would be so large, and battery packs are not light, that weight would become the problem. Top fuel dragster is 2350 lbs range including driver. Varies slightly based on current rulebook.

OK. I have never been to a drag race, and have only watched it on TV, and not for very long either.

With an engine so powerful, seems to me the tougher problem now is how to get the tires sticky enough so they will not slip.

OK. I have never been to a drag race, and have only watched it on TV, and not for very long either.

If you do attend an event in the future bring your hearing protection, it's unbelievable the db coming from the big boy dragsters.

I was in a Tesla and the driver demonstrated the max acceleration. OK, it's quick, I was pushed back in my seat (but I miss the engine noise, which is part of the experience IMO), but I was really like "so what, what's the point?". Wouldn't a roller coaster ride give you more G's in more directions, for a few bucks for a ride? I don't get the excitement, but to each their own.

-ERD50

Exactly! For me that is 90% of the enjoyment, the 3-5 sec rush leaving the line/ tollbooth / stop sign etc. if and when I guess we add an ev it’ll not be for the unrealistic acceleration but for the other improvements

Exactly! For me that is 90% of the enjoyment, the 3-5 sec rush leaving the line/ tollbooth / stop sign etc. if and when I guess we add an ev it’ll not be for the unrealistic acceleration but for the other improvements

My son's Tesla model 3 is pretty quick - probably about like my old C-3 Vette. The Teslas (model S??) that have the "Ludicrous" setting activated are a whole other experience - not one I have experienced, however. Tons of videos on the net. I love the videos where some clown surprises his girlfriend OR his mom! They typically curl up in a ball, expecting the world to end. It's amazing.

Tesla vs Hellcat at strip

Lambo vs Tesla 1/4 mi.

Tesla vs "race" cars

With an engine so powerful, seems to me the tougher problem now is how to get the tires sticky enough so they will not slip.
They all slip/spin, to different degrees.... That's the trick, getting the power down.... A combination of the tuners tweeks, drivers skills (and reactions), tire pressure, tire heating (burnouts), track prep, even air temps and humidity come into play.... Even what seems to be a prefect launch often breaks loose a few hundred feet down the track, traction is lost and the tires go up in smoke. All of this happens in 3 to 4 seconds so the drivers reaction to "catch it" gets to be a key factor in a win or loss.

And I second the suggestion above, if you go to the track, bring hearing protection. It's awesome.

Last edited:
They all slip/spin, to different degrees.... That's the trick, getting the power down.... A combination of the tuners tweeks, drivers skills (and reactions), tire pressure, tire heating (burnouts), track prep, even air temps and humidity come into play.... Even what seems to be a prefect launch often breaks loose a few hundred feet down the track, traction is lost and the tires go up in smoke. All of this happens in 3 to 4 seconds so the drivers reaction to "catch it" gets to be a key factor in a win or loss.

And I second the suggestion above, if you go to the track, bring hearing protection. It's awesome.

I suspect this is one of those situations where experience counts for a lot. Older (more seasoned) guys may even have an advantage - just because they can feel every little thing the car is doing and react to it - in that 4 second run. AND if you're NOT at the top of your game, you won't be driving top fuel very long. It' just too expensive to lose when the innards of the cars are being rebuilt for virtually every run. YMMV

I suspect this is one of those situations where experience counts for a lot. Older (more seasoned) guys may even have an advantage - just because they can feel every little thing the car is doing and react to it - in that 4 second run. AND if you're NOT at the top of your game, you won't be driving top fuel very long. It' just too expensive to lose when the innards of the cars are being rebuilt for virtually every run. YMMV
Probably a balance there too... To young and not enough experaince sure could hurt but to old and reactions times may be a bit slower can also hurt...

Not sure if there's anything to it, (specifically with reaction times) but there's been some pretty successful female drag racers. Of course Shirley Muldowney might be the most well known for women in the sport and her skills/wins back in the 60's, 70's and 80's... I haven't been keeping up recently but now you have "lady's" like Brittany Force and Leah Pruett that are really putting the pressure on the guys and winning. Sure adds an interesting aspect to the sport.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, my next car is going to be all about impressing others because of my personal insecurities, and it’s also going to be useless!

:rolleyes: :nonono:
audreyh1, I've always admired your level headed approach and seemingly intuitive grasp of complex financial issues. This shows a wild side I certainly did not suspect! Wow! Next thing I'll see is you've gone all Crypto!

audreyh1, I've always admired your level headed approach and seemingly intuitive grasp of complex financial issues. This shows a wild side I certainly did not suspect! Wow! Next thing I'll see is you've gone all Crypto!

Ha, ha, Crypto? Not likely.:cool:

Probably a balance there too... To young and not enough experaince sure could hurt but to old and reactions times may be a bit slower can also hurt...

Not sure if there's anything to it, (specifically with reaction times) but there's been some pretty successful female drag racers. Of course Shirley Muldowney might be the most well known for women in the sport and her skills/wins back in the 60's, 70's and 80's... I haven't been keeping up recently but now you have "lady's" like Brittany Force and Leah Pruett that are really putting the pressure on the guys and winning. Sure adds an interesting aspect to the sport.

My buddy who is 76 (you know - the one who owes half a million bucks) TYPICALLY beats the young whipper-snappers on reaction time at the 1/8 mi strip he frequents. They just can't believe it. He's developed something of a local reputation there. YMMV

The top fuel nitro burning dragsters and funny cars are so loud you *feel* the sound wave hit you. The nitro exhaust is also quite irritant to your nose and eyes. But supposedly is not hazardous, just irritating. A very unique smell, to go with the incredible auditory experience. The power of the 11,000 hp being released is just awesome to comprehend the physics of it all. 8 G's at launch, 0 to 335 mph in 1000 ft. Nearly 300 mph in 1/8 mile.

I used to drag race, at the local track level. So I still like going to the drag races. But sold my dedicated drag car approx 25 years ago. Funny thing is I now have a street car that has more hp than my old drag car did.

Yes, but if they pushed the electric motor to the point that it had to be rebuilt (rewound? The copper windings would be melting?) after 1/4 mile, and the batteries were pushed so hard they burnt out at 1/4 mile, what could that EV dragster do?

I don't know the rules - do they have to do a second run with the same engine? So an EV dragster couldn't just swap out a battery pack? But wait, the dragster re-fuels! Hmmm, does that mean the EV dragster would need to recharge the same batteries for a second run? That would be very tough at those sorts of power levels.

And there is the issue of batteries weighing much more than fuel and a fuel tank. But I'm curious if this could work?

-ERD50

I don't think Audrey is going to engage the autopilot, then climbs onto the back seat like some fools have shown themselves doing on YouTube. She may be wild, but still level-headed as you said.

Can't imagine her saying, "Hold my beer and watch this". :nonono:

If you do attend an event in the future bring your hearing protection, it's unbelievable the db coming from the big boy dragsters.

I know it's highly technical and challenging. It's just not my cup of tea. I was not into it when younger, and at this point much prefer tranquility and peace.

The top fuel nitro burning dragsters and funny cars are so loud you *feel* the sound wave hit you. The nitro exhaust is also quite irritant to your nose and eyes. But supposedly is not hazardous, just irritating. A very unique smell, to go with the incredible auditory experience. The power of the 11,000 hp being released is just awesome to comprehend the physics of it all. 8 G's at launch, 0 to 335 mph in 1000 ft. Nearly 300 mph in 1/8 mile.

I used to drag race, at the local track level. So I still like going to the drag races. But sold my dedicated drag car approx 25 years ago. Funny thing is I now have a street car that has more hp than my old drag car did.

I believe the evolution of Top Fuel engines has been similar. Don't quote me on the numbers, but 50 years ago, Top Fuel engines were closer to 1000HP IIRC. To increase that to 11,000 in roughly the same displacement, "fuel" (primarily nitromethane) went from (again, numbers??) maybe 30% to now 90% (with the balance being methanol.) A "run" now might consume 20 gallons of fuel. Blowers also increased in size and pressure. The physics of squeezing that much fuel and air into roughly a 7 or 8 liter engine are problematic and maybe not as well understood as your typical Toyota engine pumping out a couple of hundred HP.

Back in the day, I used to attend one of the bigger drag events at IRP (Indianapolis Raceway Park) I think it's been re-named Lucas Oil Raceway. Nothing like that in Hawaii. Heh, heh, nothing long enough other than the runways at Daniel K Inouye International Airport - and they need that for other stuff. Anyway, air would be the only way to get the dragsters in and out in a timely fashion, so... One other reason I might enjoy getting back to the mainland. Haven't had my ears and other senses so assaulted in several years now. YMMV

I don't think Audrey is going to engage the autopilot, then climbs onto the back seat like some fools have shown themselves doing on YouTube. She may be wild, but still level-headed as you said.

Can't imagine her saying, "Hold my beer and watch this". :nonono:

Well, it wouldn’t be beer…..

I never care why other people buy the vehicle that they do. Are they trying to impress, or just like that car for some reasons? How would I know, or care? I often don't even notice what car they are driving, unless it is something really unusual.

And it's not possible to impress someone who does not care. Imagine if I try to impress my neighbor with my equipment. "Look at this classic 1S1 Tektronix sampling head plug in. Even though it is 1970 vintage, it boasts a risetime of 350 picoseconds by using tunnel diodes. And let me tell you about the low level of phase noise of this HP spectrum analyzer plug in...." :)

You had me at 1S1 Tektronix sampling head plug in.
I'd just like an upgrade from my HP 141T spectrum analyzer. Some day.
But, I still love my Boonton 260A Q meter! :dance:

But, I still love my Boonton 260A Q meter! :dance:

I have no idea what EITHER of you are talking about and I'm impressed!

Originally Posted by Time2 View Post
But, I still love my Boonton 260A Q meter!
I have no idea what EITHER of you are talking about and I'm impressed!

:LOL: Well, a 350 picosecond rise time would be one heck of a 0-60 time! :)

-ERD50

:LOL: Well, a 350 picosecond rise time would be one heck of a 0-60 time! :)

-ERD50

My bad for asking a silly question!:LOL::facepalm: Of course, rise time could mean different things to different people, I suppose.:blush:

Back
Top Bottom