1.1 sec 0-60

The 1S1 sampling plug in was produced by Tektronix from 1965 to 1973. Its bandwidth is 1 GHz. The design is very clever (I have its schematic diagram). All circuits designed by Tektronix and HP were clever!

Sadly, my 1S1 stopped working quite a few years ago. It used a few tunnel diodes that were out of production long ago, and I don't know if any equivalent part exists. In fact, I don't know if any manufacturer still makes tunnel diodes. These diodes were known to "wear out" with time. Sad!

The 1S1 is a sampling head though, and not a real-time scope. It took Tektronix until 1978 to build the world first real-time analog scope with a 1 GHz bandwidth. It's the top-of-the-line 7104. You will need the 7A29 and the 7B10/15 plug in. The production stopped in 1990. The cost at that point is equivalent to $89K in today's dollar.

I have read of scopes costing near $300K, and spectrum analyzers of $100K.

Last edited:
OK. I have never been to a drag race, and have only watched it on TV, and not for very long either.

With an engine so powerful, seems to me the tougher problem now is how to get the tires sticky enough so they will not slip.

The stickiness of the tires is not their only function. They are essentially a gear in the no-gear transmission!

I don't think Audrey is going to engage the autopilot, then climbs onto the back seat like some fools have shown themselves doing on YouTube. She may be wild, but still level-headed as you said.

Can't imagine her saying, "Hold my beer and watch this". :nonono:

Well, it wouldn’t be beer…..

Whether you drink Dom Perignon or Chateau Lafite, I don't think I will be reading on the Web a story about Audrey of Texas doing something like the above. :)

My fastest 0-60 time is less than 1 second. My vehicle weighed about 25 tons and I had about 50,000 hp pushing me and another 20,000hp pulling me.

My fastest 0-60 time is less than 1 second. My vehicle weighed about 25 tons and I had about 50,000 hp pushing me and another 20,000hp pulling me.
A (very short term) "hybrid" of jet fuel and steam?

I think on my Cessna 150 it would have been about 15 or even 20 seconds. Always wondered what a catapult take off would be like. And you can confirm or not: The pilot doesn't have his/her hands on the controls during the process! Apparently more chance to screw things up than letting the aircraft do its thing for the first second. (And thanks for being our pilot during your service!)

OK I understand now that I need to trade in my old Tesla Model X to get a Tesla Model S Plaid.

From these videos I see that I can use the Entertainment part of my budget for this. :cool:

My son's Tesla model 3 is pretty quick - probably about like my old C-3 Vette. The Teslas (model S??) that have the "Ludicrous" setting activated are a whole other experience - not one I have experienced, however. Tons of videos on the net. I love the videos where some clown surprises his girlfriend OR his mom! They typically curl up in a ball, expecting the world to end. It's amazing.

Tesla vs Hellcat at strip

Lambo vs Tesla 1/4 mi.

Tesla vs "race" cars

For myself, I only want to see a 55mph to 85mph acceleration time of 3 seconds. That gives me a 3-second passing exposure on a two-lane road.

Car & Driver test results gave a 2019 Performance Model 3 a 1.7s 50-70 rate.
They didn’t test 55-85, but I would guess that would be just under 3 seconds.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a36329678/2019-tesla-model-3-performance-by-the-numbers/

Tesla needs to pipe in some Ferrari engine sounds into the cabin. Silent running is good if you are a submarine, but don't like my cars to be silent.

I think on my Cessna 150 it would have been about 15 or even 20 seconds. Always wondered what a catapult take off would be like. And you can confirm or not: The pilot doesn't have his/her hands on the controls during the process! Apparently more chance to screw things up than letting the aircraft do its thing for the first second. (And thanks for being our pilot during your service!)

You are correct. I flew the F/A-18 (all models) and the pilot did not actively participate in the catapult launch. If they did, it did not end well. The reason is the digital flight controls were max gain on deck to test full throw of all the flight control surfaces prior to launch. They stayed high gain until a few criteria were met that indicated the airplane was flying. The main indicator was the WoW switch (weight on wheels). Once the computers decided they were airborne, they started the transition from high gain to in flight gains. This took a half second or so and if you touched the stick in that time, you were in for quite a ride.

I was doing my initial carrier quals (CQ) in the F/A-18 on the USS Roosevelt. I was sitting just aft of the island getting fuel with a front seat row watching everyone else land and launch for their CQ. A pilot that was transitioning from A-7's to F/A-18s was hooking up on CAT 2. I watched as he launched and then promptly ejected. Holy Crap! Air Boss comes over the 5MC and announces aircrew in the water, port side and sends over the rescue helicopter. About 3 minutes later as the helo is picking up the pilot, the Air Boss comes over the 5MC again and yells "99, clear the flight deck! Aircraft out of control!" I'm like, what the hell does that mean? What am I supposed to do? I'm in a turning jet with a fuel line hooked up to me and strapped down. Do I eject? Do I jump out of a turning jet? So I just sat there. Then I saw what the Boss was on about. The F/A-18 had stayed airborne and done a slow turn back towards the ship. I watched as it started heading right for the boat. The deck crew were scrambling towards the starboard side. The LSOs were jumping off the deck into their safety net. And I just sat there and watched as the 40,000 lbs jet slammed into the water just short of hitting the ship. A giant wall of water splashed onto the LA and then I saw a tire (I think it was a nose tire) rolling across the LA at high speed. Holy Crap!

Once it was all over, the Boss came on the 5MC again and called for a combat FOD walk down. I figured we would recover the aircraft that were still airborne, shut down all the jets and go below and figure out what the hell just happened. So I wasn't surprised when a yellow shirt approached my jet. As I was waiting for the shut down signal from him, he gave me the break down signal to remove all the chains. Huh? I guess they need to move me out of the way and then shut me down. Imagine my surprise when they taxied me to CAT 2 (where the guy had just ejected) and configured me for launch. What the hell! Did you not see what just happened? We need to figure out if there is something wrong with CAT 2 before we launch another jet. Next thing I know, I am hurtling down the deck and I'm airborne.

I managed to survive the day. I also learned that carriers don't generally stop operations for much of anything. The cause of the crash was the A-7 pilot had many cat launches in the A-7 where you had your hand on the stick during launch and had to fly it off the deck. If you do that in an F/A-18, you will get into a really bad pilot induced oscillation (PIO) and it will fell like you are out of control. So the A-7 guy ejected. As soon as he let go of the stick, the plane flew fine on its own. Since it was trimmed for level flight @ 8.1 deg AoA, it just puttered along as a UAV for a bit until it crashed next to the boat.

Yeehaw.

...The cause of the crash was the A-7 pilot had many cat launches in the A-7 where you had your hand on the stick during launch and had to fly it off the deck. If you do that in an F/A-18, you will get into a really bad pilot induced oscillation (PIO) and it will fell like you are out of control. So the A-7 guy ejected. As soon as he let go of the stick, the plane flew fine on its own. Since it was trimmed for level flight @ 8.1 deg AoA, it just puttered along as a UAV for a bit until it crashed next to the boat.

Yeehaw.

What a story! I would have thought he would have plenty of training prior to taking off on the F/A-18. Did he have a brain fart, and messed up?

What happened to the pilot afterwards? An expensive aircraft lost, and it could have been a lot worse if it crashed onto the deck.

You are correct. I flew the F/A-18 (all models) and the pilot did not actively participate in the catapult launch. If they did, it did not end well. The reason is the digital flight controls were max gain on deck to test full throw of all the flight control surfaces prior to launch. They stayed high gain until a few criteria were met that indicated the airplane was flying. The main indicator was the WoW switch (weight on wheels). Once the computers decided they were airborne, they started the transition from high gain to in flight gains. This took a half second or so and if you touched the stick in that time, you were in for quite a ride.

I was doing my initial carrier quals (CQ) in the F/A-18 on the USS Roosevelt. I was sitting just aft of the island getting fuel with a front seat row watching everyone else land and launch for their CQ. A pilot that was transitioning from A-7's to F/A-18s was hooking up on CAT 2. I watched as he launched and then promptly ejected. Holy Crap! Air Boss comes over the 5MC and announces aircrew in the water, port side and sends over the rescue helicopter. About 3 minutes later as the helo is picking up the pilot, the Air Boss comes over the 5MC again and yells "99, clear the flight deck! Aircraft out of control!" I'm like, what the hell does that mean? What am I supposed to do? I'm in a turning jet with a fuel line hooked up to me and strapped down. Do I eject? Do I jump out of a turning jet? So I just sat there. Then I saw what the Boss was on about. The F/A-18 had stayed airborne and done a slow turn back towards the ship. I watched as it started heading right for the boat. The deck crew were scrambling towards the starboard side. The LSOs were jumping off the deck into their safety net. And I just sat there and watched as the 40,000 lbs jet slammed into the water just short of hitting the ship. A giant wall of water splashed onto the LA and then I saw a tire (I think it was a nose tire) rolling across the LA at high speed. Holy Crap!

Once it was all over, the Boss came on the 5MC again and called for a combat FOD walk down. I figured we would recover the aircraft that were still airborne, shut down all the jets and go below and figure out what the hell just happened. So I wasn't surprised when a yellow shirt approached my jet. As I was waiting for the shut down signal from him, he gave me the break down signal to remove all the chains. Huh? I guess they need to move me out of the way and then shut me down. Imagine my surprise when they taxied me to CAT 2 (where the guy had just ejected) and configured me for launch. What the hell! Did you not see what just happened? We need to figure out if there is something wrong with CAT 2 before we launch another jet. Next thing I know, I am hurtling down the deck and I'm airborne.

I managed to survive the day. I also learned that carriers don't generally stop operations for much of anything. The cause of the crash was the A-7 pilot had many cat launches in the A-7 where you had your hand on the stick during launch and had to fly it off the deck. If you do that in an F/A-18, you will get into a really bad pilot induced oscillation (PIO) and it will fell like you are out of control. So the A-7 guy ejected. As soon as he let go of the stick, the plane flew fine on its own. Since it was trimmed for level flight @ 8.1 deg AoA, it just puttered along as a UAV for a bit until it crashed next to the boat.

Yeehaw.

Thanks for this exciting story of life in the fast lane. Next time you tell it at a party, you need to drain your glass, and then add "Just another day at the office!"

I understand that night carrier landings are THE most stressful experience most pilots will ever endure - and that includes air-to-air combat. I recall my first solo landing as being more stressful than landing with the instructor while smoke billowed through the cockpit following an engine coming unglued - but they were close! YMMV

What a story! I would have thought he would have plenty of training prior to taking off on the F/A-18. Did he have a brain fart, and messed up?

What happened to the pilot afterwards? An expensive aircraft lost, and it could have been a lot worse if it crashed onto the deck.

He probably had 300+ cat shots in the A-7 prior to transitioning to the Hornet. The thing about a cat shot is you can't simulate it very well. So his muscle memory kicked in and he grabbed the stick. He was fine and went on to finish his career.

Thanks for this exciting story of life in the fast lane. Next time you tell it at a party, you need to drain your glass, and then add "Just another day at the office!"

I understand that night carrier landings are THE most stressful experience most pilots will ever endure - and that includes air-to-air combat. I recall my first solo landing as being more stressful than landing with the instructor while smoke billowed through the cockpit following an engine coming unglued - but they were close! YMMV

Night traps scared the pee out of me every single time. The 236th one was just as scary as the first one. Maybe more scary. The Hornet had a pretty good Automatic Carrier Landing System (ACLS) where the boat talked to the Hornet and it could land itself. Unfortunately it was a fair weather system, so any weather made it unreliable. I still used it as much as possible. I asked the engineers once if the plane could land itself if I ejected after coupling up to the ACLS. They looked at me weird and then thought about it. As long as I didn't bump the stick on the way up the rails, it should stay coupled and land on its own.

Day traps were fun most of the time. The boat usually found its way into the only thunderstorm within 100 miles and that was less fun.

There were two day traps I still remember. One was off the coast of Sardinia. We had a full load of 20mm in the guns and went out and strafed the water. Then went and did a low level over Sardinia and along the coast. That was a blast until we got back to the boat and I couldn't see out of the front of my canopy. The gun blast combined with salt water spray had made visibility out the front 0/0. I could see out the sides fine. First time I ever had to call Clara Boat (means I could not see the boat when I rolled in the groove to land). The Landing Signal Officer (LSO) waved me off and asked me to clarify. I said I could not see the boat when I rolled in the groove. That freaked him out but he did a great job of talking me down on the next pass. The other trap was in a blizzard. I literally touched down and never saw the boat. LSOs were talking everyone down. Hellofa job those boys did that day.

He probably had 300+ cat shots in the A-7 prior to transitioning to the Hornet. The thing about a cat shot is you can't simulate it very well. So his muscle memory kicked in and he grabbed the stick. He was fine and went on to finish his career.

Night traps scared the pee out of me every single time. The 236th one was just as scary as the first one. Maybe more scary. The Hornet had a pretty good Automatic Carrier Landing System (ACLS) where the boat talked to the Hornet and it could land itself. Unfortunately it was a fair weather system, so any weather made it unreliable. I still used it as much as possible. I asked the engineers once if the plane could land itself if I ejected after coupling up to the ACLS. They looked at me weird and then thought about it. As long as I didn't bump the stick on the way up the rails, it should stay coupled and land on its own.

Day traps were fun most of the time. The boat usually found its way into the only thunderstorm within 100 miles and that was less fun.

There were two day traps I still remember. One was off the coast of Sardinia. We had a full load of 20mm in the guns and went out and strafed the water. Then went and did a low level over Sardinia and along the coast. That was a blast until we got back to the boat and I couldn't see out of the front of my canopy. The gun blast combined with salt water spray had made visibility out the front 0/0. I could see out the sides fine. First time I ever had to call Clara Boat (means I could not see the boat when I rolled in the groove to land). The Landing Signal Officer (LSO) waved me off and asked me to clarify. I said I could not see the boat when I rolled in the groove. That freaked him out but he did a great job of talking me down on the next pass. The other trap was in a blizzard. I literally touched down and never saw the boat. LSOs were talking everyone down. Hellofa job those boys did that day.

Talk here in OPNAV is that eventually Student Naval Aviators will get their first carrier qual after they have been in the FRS for a while. F-18 equipped with Magic Carpet is so easy to land on the 3-wire, that just about anyone with a few hours in the cockpit could do it. And with T-45s getting to the end of their service life, the 2-star in charge doesn't want to pay for planes to replace them that need to be strong enough (costs more) to handle catapults and arresting gear on the ship.

Talk here in OPNAV is that eventually Student Naval Aviators will get their first carrier qual after they have been in the FRS for a while. F-18 equipped with Magic Carpet is so easy to land on the 3-wire, that just about anyone with a few hours in the cockpit could do it. And with T-45s getting to the end of their service life, the 2-star in charge doesn't want to pay for planes to replace them that need to be strong enough (costs more) to handle catapults and arresting gear on the ship.

Still need to know how to land without any aids. I had ONE pass in the F/A-18 with no HUD. I thought I was going to die. Glad I had thousands of landings under my belt without ACLS or Magic Carpet.

Back
Top Bottom