10,000 steps

Mr. Beattie, my typing instructor for 1963, insisted on 2!

[Rant ON]

Two was the standard for old fashioned typerwriters. Modern word processors use proportional spacing which makes the two spaces unnecessary. OTOH, anything that makes it easier to read what one has written is worth the effort, IMO.

i would rather see two spaces at the end of a sentence as it makes it easier to read and follow the thoughts of the writer to where they are going and it helps the reader make sure he or she gets the main points which is after all what the writer wants you to do otherwise why would he bother writing anything at all since it doesn't make sense. did I mention that it's also a good idea to use commas now and then to break up one's thought into smaller more digestible bites after all the use of punctuation shows respect for the reader why would i want to read something written by somebody who does not respect me.

Note the power of commas below:

A woman without her man is nothing.

A woman, without her, man is nothing.

[Rant OFF]

Back on topic...........

I received one of those fancy step counting and heartbeat counting watches for Christmas. However, it and my pocket pedometer often vastly disagree on my step count for the day. They are mostly in agreement when I take my daily walk or go hiking, but if I keep both with me on a normal day the step count differs by as much as 2000 to 3000 steps. Any thoughts on that?

Last edited:
I received one of those fancy step counting heartbeat counting watches for Christmas. However, it and my pocket pedometer often vastly disagree on my step count for the day. Any thoughts on that?

With the watch, your arm movement is a factor. Try walking with your watch arm immobile (hand in pocket) and then walk back the same way with your arm freely swinging. You'll probably notice a significant difference. A pedometer, whether in your pocket or on your belt, will most likely use just a simple accelerometer, and have less variability. That doesn't necessarily mean it's more accurate though.

I don't care so much about 1 vs 2 spaces, but can we agree that 0 is really hard to read?

I received one of those fancy step counting and heartbeat counting watches for Christmas. However, it and my pocket pedometer often vastly disagree on my step count for the day. They are mostly in agreement when I take my daily walk or go hiking, but if I keep both with me on a normal day the step count differs by as much as 2000 to 3000 steps. Any thoughts on that?
Take the higher one, always. :LOL:

I don't know how they work. My newest GPS watch has a heart beat monitor on the inside of the watch (next to the skin). People tell me not to believe it, that it can measure cadence instead, especially if it's a little loose, but it seems fairly accurate to me. Anyway, I'd google for how whatever devices you are using count steps.

I bought an $11 pedometer, the kind that has a wrist band. One of the machines that I ride at the gym (maybe the Nustep crosstrainer?) tells you how many steps/rotations you have completed. My pedometer only records about 1/5 as many steps. I think my Fitbit was a lot more accurate.

Oh well! I guess I could either try to resurrect my Fitbit, or just accept that it doesn't really matter exactly how many steps I take as long as I keep working at it. Or I could buy a new device.

I don't care so much about 1 vs 2 spaces, but can we agree that 0 is really hard to read?

Take the higher one, always. :LOL:

I don't know how they work. My newest GPS watch has a heart beat monitor on the inside of the watch (next to the skin). People tell me not to believe it, that it can measure cadence instead, especially if it's a little loose, but it seems fairly accurate to me. Anyway, I'd google for how whatever devices you are using count steps.

This will be hard to believe but I am 67. I have a college degree. I started a small business that I ran pretty much by myself for 23 years.I also was a high school basketball coach for 25 years.It is almost beyond belief that I had no idea about putting a space at the end of a sentence.Wow. I also apologize for my negative comments and there will be no more of them here. I will save them for some other forum :)

Back
Top Bottom