2 Years In to RE - View Out My Office Window

CaptTom

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My second anniversary arrived very much like my first official day of retirement. Back then I was starting out on a 3-month trip on my own boat.

This time, I was doing a delivery of someone else's boat. Deliveries are a gig or "side hustle" I'm experimenting with.

It occurred to me that this workstation, and the view looking out this office window, are both MUCH better than when I was doing real w*rk:
37798-albums207-picture1652.jpg

I'll be back with my promised two-year check in once I've had a chance to run the numbers.

Feel free to add your own "out the office window" pics!

Sounds like a great “side hustle.” Beautiful shot!

“Office” Window

If I’m sitting on the deck @ my computer, does that count as an “office window?”

Attachments

• 1707E6AB-10B2-4ECD-ADB8-28A7CC75C79E.jpg
    1707E6AB-10B2-4ECD-ADB8-28A7CC75C79E.jpg
    832.5 KB · Views: 142
If I’m sitting on the deck @ my computer, does that count as an “office window?”

Here's my "office window". Maybe not as spectacular as some, but for me the view of my back yard is the best view ever. For one thing, it's not from a high rise office building. Not only that, but quite honestly I love the variety out in my yard, due to changing seasons and weather. As you can see, it looks tremendously different depending on if the weather is sunny, stormy, or foggy, or at sunset on a nice summer's day. I didn't include the sunset photo though. Got to stop somewhere. The door that you see is the entry to my detached garage, and right next to that door is the standard huge garage door.

Attachments

• yard1.jpg
    yard1.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 130
  • yard2.jpg
    yard2.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 118
  • yard3.jpg
    yard3.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 122
Nice responses! I was hoping for a variety of different perspectives.

Thanks and keep them coming!

Very nice. Did you get your Captain's license after you retired?

I've had it over 10 years. Technically, what's commonly called a "Captain's License" is really a merchant mariner credential, issued for the capacity of "Master." The moniker "Capt" was kind of an inside joke among the class I graduated with. Some folks have a problem with that, since I haven't earned the rank of "Captain" in the context of a military command structure. But that can also be said for a captain in the fire department, or the cheerleading squad, so I don't feel too bad it.

The idea was to have options for gigs like this after retirement. I did a lot of research before retirement, and am now in the experimentation phase to see if it's something I'd enjoy. So far, it's proven to be a nice diversion with both challenges and great learning experience.

Here's my "office window". Maybe not as spectacular as some, but for me the view of my back yard is the best view ever.

Your garden people do a good job on the grass. It is so green and even. No wonder you like looking out.

I keep getting flyers left on my door for TrueGreen and the like. And they're NOT on everybody's door :) Shame-advertising!

Reactions: W2R
Two years for me. My first year goal was to just play. I hadn't had a summer off since I graduated from eighth grade. I pretty much did what I did when I was 13 years old. I walked and visited with friends, swam in the lake, went bike riding, went to concerts and plays in the park. After my great summer in the city, DH and I went on a three month RV trip visiting Civil War sites up and down the East Coast. After checking on the homestead we fulfilled another bucket list item, First Class vacation in Japan.

Second year goal was to continue to travel, get in shape, and garden. I mostly met my goals. We went hiking in New Zealand for five weeks and took the RV on a three week tour of the Western Theater of the Civil War. Getting both myself and the garden in shape are still in process.

Starting year three, I'm making getting in shape and gardening higher priorities. Travel will include a short jaunt to Universal Studios, Orlando with DS, a week in northern Wisconsin, A visit to DS in Texas, and a week in Colorado. These are all trips with others so building/maintaining relationships is one focus. I would like to fit in a trip north to see the Aurora Borealis.

FIRE'd almost three years and this is my view most days. Not exactly my back yard but just minutes away including the paddling.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    113.4 KB · Views: 72
FIRE'd almost three years and this is my view most days. Not exactly my back yard but just minutes away including the paddling.
Looks relaxing. Possible alligators in settings like this near me. :(

Your garden people do a good job on the grass. It is so green and even. No wonder you like looking out.

Thank you! To be honest, the grass has never been watered, fed, or treated for weeds. It doesn't need any of that in the hot, rainy, humid, subtropical climate here in New Orleans. Grass down here grows unbelievably fast and thick. All my lawn guy does is mow and edge.

That said, I haven't always lived here and I love the way it looks, too. So, thanks. :)

View Out My Current "Office" Window - Costa Ballena Costa Rica

IMG_0227.jpg

From Tennessee - I can see all the way to L.A.

On a clear day.

Attachments

• IMG_6254.jpg
    IMG_6254.jpg
    373.3 KB · Views: 73
Here's my view. It's overcast today and looks nicer when the sun is out. But, it's my RE view and I love it. :)

study_Jun_2018.jpg

Looks relaxing. Possible alligators in settings like this near me. :(

Dtail,

Me kayaking in SW FL. Never saw any 'gators. S'pose there's always a first time.

Not exactly sure why they'd be interested in a large plastic boat and its contents.

omni

Attachments

• Vera Kayaking 2 11.19.15.jpeg
    Vera Kayaking 2 11.19.15.jpeg
    391.8 KB · Views: 61
Dtail,

Me kayaking in SW FL. Never saw any 'gators. S'pose there's always a first time.

Not exactly sure why they'd be interested in a large plastic boat and its contents.

omni
Actually when I was in Hillsborough State Park, there were people kayaking in a similar setting and I saw an approximate 7 foot alligator about 100 yards ahead of them.
Changed my mind about kayaking that day. lol

We frequently get luxury yachts anchoring off shore for a few days. But, this sailing yacht is a beauty that I thought was worth sharing. Included the itty bitty sailing school boats for some perspective. I know very little about boats so, perhaps some experts will tell us more about this one.

ETA: I was able to catch the name “Clan VIII” and it’s a 45M Perini Navi yacht. Specs: https://www.yachtcharterfleet.com/luxury-charter-yacht-26215/clan-viii.htm

Attachments

• AFEEA639-CBDC-434C-A8BC-751216D1B557.jpg
    AFEEA639-CBDC-434C-A8BC-751216D1B557.jpg
    299.3 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Beautiful!

We frequently get luxury yachts anchoring off shore for a few days. But, this sailing yacht is a beauty that I thought was worth sharing. Included the itty bitty sailing school boats for some perspective. I know very little about boats so, perhaps some experts will tell us more about this one.

ETA: I was able to catch the name “Clan VIII” and it’s a 45M Perini Navi yacht. Specs: https://www.yachtcharterfleet.com/luxury-charter-yacht-26215/clan-viii.htm
Stunning!!

Back
Top Bottom