2022 Investment Performance Thread

-10.28% ytd

Last edited:
Nov 30 YTD: +10.9%

Still heavy to energy but currently only 26% equities.

If you run fund screens, there are mutual funds with positive returns close to 40% YTD. When you look under the hood, they are predominantly in energy.

My portfolio has an overweigh in energy. That helps.

However, I also have an overweigh in semiconductor equipment. That cancels out the energy gain.

-5.1% from high, -7.05% when adding this yr's contributions. 55/35/10 stock/stable value-treasuries/cash

In TIPS I am up a hefty 4.2% in just a week....wish I had bought more.

Overall down about 7.2% for the year.

-7.25% as of close on 12/2/22.

I did ok even with the maket dips this year. Up 3.4% YTD on what's currently a 75%/25% portfolio. The drop in market was huge but as best I can tell it looks like I recovered fairly well due to (1) selling my long term energy holdings early in 1Q, (2) later buying some portion back on a dip and reselling again for a gain (3) dropping my asset allocation in 1Q to about 55/45 and then (4) raising allocation back recently to 75/25. But honestly my watching of the portfolio this year was pretty spotty due to family health issues so the only really clear thing is the end result. I see this year as pretty much getting lucky that I didn't make any real stupid moves.

Jan: -8.62% as interest rates are on the move, FOMC rate hike talk, Ukrainian invasion fears, and Omicron Virus continues to run rampant.
Feb: -11.48% What goes up, must come down? Lots of uncertainty, I know I am feeling the same as the market. A sad month for some indeed as the war machine moves on. If I look at the longer term 8yr avg it makes me "feel better' averaging +27% returns.
Mar: -9% This time isn't different Was a fun little "whee" ride this month
Apr: -19.66% Ready for us to move forward, instead of two steps back
May: -21.8% Here's hoping for a better month in the markets
June: -28.5% I can't believe it's July already. How low can we go?
July: -19% Hey, at least I am beating the Nasdaq
August: -22.6% Wheee.
September: -31% SUPER WHEE!!
October: -25.4% Who's ready for some more rate hikes? Happy Halloween!
November: -23.25% Will be interesting to see how December comes to fruition with FOMC, inflation data, earnings reports post massive TECH layoffs

Welp, it was apparent to even me (with my lack of math skills) that between yesterday and today, my account(s) dropped like a stone so the 11/30 performance number would no longer apply. :nonono:

Welp, it was apparent to even me (with my lack of math skills) that between yesterday and today, my account(s) dropped like a stone so the 11/30 performance number would no longer apply. :nonono:

That’s usually the way it goes!

This seems like the thread that could help me with my question. Like many here, I have moved from bond funds to bonds. Most of my bonds are reasonably the same value as when purchased. And, more when interest is included.

So, when Fidelity shows gains and losses for bonds in their performance analysis tab, does it just use the current bond value or is the estimated annual income (eai) included in the calculation? As a percentage, it could be a big difference.

November: -23.25% Will be interesting to see how December comes to fruition with FOMC, inflation data, earnings reports post massive TECH layoffs

I think those are tech workers, when employed and working from home, were buying up houses and raising the prices in my neighborhood. Our house is down $500K this year, but I think it is back to where it was a year or two ago now. Easy come, easy go. It has always been kind of a boom and bust housing area but this last year with mortgage rates going to historic lows under 3% and now up to 7%, combined with the tech layoffs, has been like the Mr. Toad's Wild Ride of housing prices.

I think those are tech workers, when employed and working from home, were buying up houses and raising the prices in my neighborhood. Our house is down $500K this year, but I think it is back to where it was a year or two ago now. Easy come, easy go. It has always been kind of a boom and bust housing area but this last year with mortgage rates going to historic lows under 3% and now up to 7%, combined with the tech layoffs, has been like the Mr. Toad's Wild Ride of housing prices.

Mortgage rates at historic lows PLUS tons of liquidity and cash flowing around. The cash dried up, the rates rose up. The party is over...for now. Time to clean up the mess.

I sold our investment property this summer just as rates started to climb a bit to a mostly cash buyer. Still looking for that next investment property but know that prices should be on the decline for a little while. The question is, how bad will it be?

This happened back in 2008 so we have seen this play before. Back then it was a result of lose lending standards and packaged derivatives markets going wild.

So, when Fidelity shows gains and losses for bonds in their performance analysis tab, does it just use the current bond value or is the estimated annual income (eai) included in the calculation? As a percentage, it could be a big difference.
I think I remember reading and alert message, when I bought a bond on Fidelity recently, that they do use the current bond value.

-3.25% YTD through 11/30/22. 45% Equities/30% fixed Income/25% Hedge Funds and Private Investments. Equities and Fixed income fell in line with the market and Hedge Funds were flat. Private Equity/Private Debt were up significantly and offset the losses in the rest of the portfolio.

Dec 31st Overall: -13.57% YTD with 55% stock, 38% bonds (and CDs), 7% cash.

Bonds: -7%
US Stocks: -17.09%
REITs: -26.49%
Foreign Stock: -14.62%

The total is 65.2%. There's still 34.8% missing. :)

55% + 38% + 7% = 100%

I didn’t realize REIT’s got so hammered this year.

55% + 38% + 7% = 100%

I didn’t realize REIT’s got so hammered this year.

Ah, thanks. I had reading deficiency, misread the post and took the negative returns for AA.

Back
Top Bottom