2022 Investment Performance Thread

Jan: -8.62% as interest rates are on the move, FOMC rate hike talk, Ukrainian invasion fears, and Omicron Virus continues to run rampant.
Feb: -11.48% What goes up, must come down? Lots of uncertainty, I know I am feeling the same as the market. A sad month for some indeed as the war machine moves on. If I look at the longer term 8yr avg it makes me "feel better' averaging +27% returns.
Mar: -9% This time isn't different Was a fun little "whee" ride this month
Apr: -19.66% Ready for us to move forward, instead of two steps back
May: -21.8% Here's hoping for a better month in the markets
June: -28.5% I can't believe it's July already. How low can we go?
July: -19% Hey, at least I am beating the Nasdaq
August: -22.6% Wheee.
September: -31% SUPER WHEE!!
October: -25.4% Who's ready for some more rate hikes? Happy Halloween!
November: -23.25% Will be interesting to see how December comes to fruition with FOMC, inflation data, earnings reports post massive TECH layoffs
December: -28% Worst yearly return since I started tracking. Cheers to a new year of investment returns.

Jan: -8.62% as interest rates are on the move, FOMC rate hike talk, Ukrainian invasion fears, and Omicron Virus continues to run rampant.
Feb: -11.48% What goes up, must come down? Lots of uncertainty, I know I am feeling the same as the market. A sad month for some indeed as the war machine moves on. If I look at the longer term 8yr avg it makes me "feel better' averaging +27% returns.
Mar: -9% This time isn't different Was a fun little "whee" ride this month
Apr: -19.66% Ready for us to move forward, instead of two steps back
May: -21.8% Here's hoping for a better month in the markets
June: -28.5% I can't believe it's July already. How low can we go?
July: -19% Hey, at least I am beating the Nasdaq
August: -22.6% Wheee.
September: -31% SUPER WHEE!!
October: -25.4% Who's ready for some more rate hikes? Happy Halloween!
November: -23.25% Will be interesting to see how December comes to fruition with FOMC, inflation data, earnings reports post massive TECH layoffs
December: -28% Worst yearly return since I started tracking. Cheers to a new year of investment returns.

Well KG I'm at about 18% for the year 100% stocks so I know your pain as I'm not retired yet so now probably putting me back to work for 2 more years to put the max away in my work Roth 401K plan, so I have some non-taxed dollars to make it to the 59 1/2 stage

Looks like I am one of the leaders for worst YTD performance.

I ended the year close to the worst it had been all year with a loss of 19.37%.

Looking at the glass half full, this years final expense number was still 3.04% of my severely damaged total portfolio value.

In gross terms, including annual expenses, I am down about 10% since I retired in August 2016.

I have you beat as the worst performer (So far). I am down 28% and at one point was down 33% this year. 25% of my portfolio is in AAPL stock. I beat the Nasdaq though and I am VERY heavy into Tech. That is the reason for me being down so low. I will continue to stay the course. Wish I would have moved more into energy, but I wasn't smart enough to see the signs on when to do that. I got burned on Energy a few years ago when I was holding XOM and VDE and decided to cut my losses and move on. So the fear of getting burned again was fresh in my memory.

If I want to find the positives, I am still averaging 28% returns annually even with this one bad year, I have TONS of equity and the blessings of inheriting millions as life progresses, so money won't be a problem for me.

I don’t feel too bad -11.33% w 65% stock, as 60/40 portfolio was -16.5% (S&P -19.9%, BND down -11.8%).

Well KG I'm at about 18% for the year 100% stocks so I know your pain as I'm not retired yet so now probably putting me back to work for 2 more years to put the max away in my work Roth 401K plan, so I have some non-taxed dollars to make it to the 59 1/2 stage

Same here, I have at least 10 yrs to go before I retire. I will continue to stay at 100% stocks. I was fortunate enough to do over a 100k mega backdoor roth, and also fully funded my Roth 401k, my Roth IRA, and DW Roth IRA, as well as maxed DW 403b, our family HSA and tucked a little away in kids 529 and our brokerage. I SHOULD be able to do the same next year. I am going to start the year off with about a 80k backdoor Roth. Always trying to find the silver lining. I can't imagine if you were an early retiree last year and had to take RMDs this year. Although it seems like most people who are only at 50 to 75% equities faired much better than us so I guess this falls into the "take risks early while accumulating" category...vs taking risk during distributions.

Although it seems like most people who are only at 50 to 75% equities faired much better than us so I guess this falls into the "take risks early while accumulating" category...vs taking risk during distributions.

I was only 30% equities and ended up down almost 20%. However TSLA, SQ, GOOG, AMZN and PLTR were my main individual stocks.

Down 7.7% on a 79/12/9 portfolio, excluding inflation and spending. I have a single stock that's 29% of the portfolio value (ESOP, can't change until age 62), and hedge fund traders used this one stock as a hedge, which lessened my losses this year!

Here's my final tally for 2022, and yuck...

Here's my latest...

01/31/2022: -5.07% YTD
02/28/2022: -7.26% YTD
03/31/2022: -4.98% YTD
04/29/2022: -13.11% YTD
05/31/2022: -13.55% YTD
06/30/2022: -20.87 YTD
07/29/2022: -13.54% YTD
08/31/2022: -17.33% YTD
09/30/2022: -25.27% YTD
10/31/2022: -19.37% YTD
11/30/2022: -15.97% YTD
12/30/2022: -20.51% for the year.

On a strictly dollar lost basis, 2022 is my worst year ever, down about $531,000. Percentage-wise, I lost about 42% in 2008, but back then I didn't even have a half-mil saved up to lose in the first place, so it's all relative, I guess.

Going even further back, to the 2000-2002 period, I probably lost close to half, but nowadays I can gain or lose that much in a single day, so suddenly those early years seem almost quaint!

As of 1-Jan-23 we are down <-12.18%> from 1-Jan-22.

Current Asset Allocation is 48.3% Equities, 33.1% Bonds, 18.6% Cash.

We're hanging on ...
RiEAUtzm.jpg
[/IMG]

-10.8%
Hurt by stock & bond funds and crypto in retirement accounts. Saved by rental properties, cash, gold in taxable. Expecting more bad news for 2023

IRR -11.2%

48% Bonds
42% stocks
10% cash

Big year for expenses with a new roof and a new car so overall portfolio value down even more than that year on year.

EOY LNW down 18%, spent ~1.6% of starting balance (cash flow, full expenses were about 2%) so the market took about 16.4% from me in 2022. 95% equity ~5% cash instruments at start of year which fund expenses, total market with a bit less FAANG weighting due to a good chunk of small cap index and a sprinkling of international. Usually just consider it total market.

On a strictly dollar lost basis, 2022 is my worst year ever, down about $531,000. Percentage-wise, I lost about 42% in 2008, but back then I didn't even have a half-mil saved up to lose in the first place, so it's all relative, I guess.

Going even further back, to the 2000-2002 period, I probably lost close to half, but nowadays I can gain or lose that much in a single day, so suddenly those early years seem almost quaint!

Same, 2022 was the most lost in one calendar year. I lost somewhat more $ in the late 2007 to mid 2009 bear, but that was spread over a year and a half or so. Then again, we have no idea of where this will bottom out.

Your point about losing (or gaining) in a single day as you lost in 2000-2002 is a good one, and emphasizes the "in the long run" aspect of "keep on swimming" (i.e. growth through continued and steady investment).

-15.7% with an 85/15 allocation.

Coincidentally, I was up 15.8% in 2021.

I am loathe to look but I did.
Down 15.4% on a 60/40 portfolio.

Still up over Jan 2020. Just have to face all that growth in 2020 and 2021 was artificial.

I got very lucky though. I pulled 4 months of expenses plus estimated expenses for knee replacement surgery on Jan 3. Surgery wasn’t as expensive as the estimates, spending was way down due to recovering, tax refund was much larger than expected. I didn’t have to withdraw any more than that until August. Sold a tiny bit of equities last week to live on and avoided cap gains taxes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom