2022 workout thread

2 miles this morning outside with a friend and then a 30 minute strength and balance zoom class with my favorite teacher.

I go to the local YMCA to workout on the machines for an hour, 5 days a week. I joined an exercise class there three days a week, that was very good, but it was at an inconvenient time for me, so I finally dropped it after about three weeks.

At home I exercise with dumbells and resistance bands, and occasionally use our Cubii Jr. while watching TV. Spring through Fall I like going for long walks and riding my bike on the local paths and trails. However, now that winter is here to stay for a while (35-45 mph winds and 12° today) I'll stick to my indoor routines.

About seven years ago, maybe eight, I stepped on the scale at my doctor's office and got a rude awakening....293 pounds. I started to take charge that day. I post 70 pounds over the next 6 months. Over the past couple of years, I regained about 30 of that, but I'm back on track again and beating the bulge.

My favorite quote was by Chris Crowley in the book "Younger Next Year".....

"The secret to losing weight is.....There is NO secret! Get off your ass and quit eating sh*t."

No walking today, weather was poor with rain and wind.

Spent 90 minutes at the gym doing resistance machines and free weights covering all the muscle groups.

I need to get involved in some of the yoga classes. After next week I drop down to 2 days per week so no excuses.

Is anyone on Strava, for cycling or walking ?

I regularly get in runs and am nowadays adding in planned walks. Also I'm trying to get up and move about the house and yard during the day so the movement is not just a one time burst during the day.

I keep a running/walking/moving log with one spread sheet page for each year. Here is an example (numbers are miles taken from my Apple watch):

image2.jpg

I think keeping some sort of log forces one to review the current trend.

NOTE: I posted this in another thread I started on workouts.

My goal is to average at least 1 exercise per day (run, swim, weights, biking) for the month. Key word is average, as I generally take a rest day once every 2 weeks or so.
Frequently do 2 activities in a day. Due to COVID, DW won't let me go swimming in the local Y for now. And while I will bike in colder weather, it's a tad too cold for my tastes. So for the short term that limits me to running and weights.

The resistance bands I ordered arrived today. I've never used them before and expected them to be just a passable alternative to free weights (which I've been using my entire life). But I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed using them. When we return home I'll continue to use them on a regular basis.

Today's workout was mostly familiarizing myself with the bands. About 12 various sets of presses, rows, squats, deadlifts, etc.

Today our high temp was 3 and it was windy. I try to get outside every day, but not today. I did a really nice one hour yoga class on zoom and I also rode the stationary bike for 10 minutes. And my usual moving around the house got my move ring closed on my iwatch, so good enough for me.

Today our high temp was 3 and it was windy. I try to get outside every day, but not today. I did a really nice one hour yoga class on zoom and I also rode the stationary bike for 10 minutes. And my usual moving around the house got my move ring closed on my iwatch, so good enough for me.

Way to go!

I have a 75 min workout that I like. 3.4 MPH brisk walk (with occasional bits of running) at 3% grade on treadmill in my home gym. Get off every 5 minutes for a set of 12 reps of dumbbell weights. 3 sets each of curls, overhead presses, triceps, incline press and rows. Each set takes about 45 seconds break out of the treadmill workout. leave the treadmill running - just hop off and hop back on.

My goal is running 50 miles/month (3-4 mile runs 4x per week, at a minimum). And strength training 5x per week for 20-30 mins.

Going to do my first outdoor bike ride of 2022. We got snow a few days ago, but the roads are dry and the sun is out.

The Norwegians have a word for this . Friluftsliv. it essentially means "a commitment to celebrating time outdoors, no matter the weather forecast." We try to embrace that and be outside as much as possible.

Ya sure, add - "there is no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothes". Heh heh, those Norwegians are tough, but try that when it's 117 degrees and the air is thick with wildfire smoke.
It has been a struggle to keep the base the last couple years here in hot Northern California with all the public land closures due to Covid and wildfires. This year, DH and I are determined to lay down a deeper base no matter what. Sports include X-country skiing, hiking, cycling, trail running and weights/body work. Best to all.

Ya sure, add - "there is no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothes". Heh heh, those Norwegians are tough, but try that when it's 117 degrees and the air is thick with wildfire smoke.
It has been a struggle to keep the base the last couple years here in hot Northern California with all the public land closures due to Covid and wildfires. This year, DH and I are determined to lay down a deeper base no matter what. Sports include X-country skiing, hiking, cycling, trail running and weights/body work. Best to all.

We are in No. California too and yes, the initial Covid closures in 2020 were a pain. When they were lifted the state park behind our house was jammed. But in 2021 no real problem and on weekends I take to the sidewalks instead of trails or get out super early like 7am.

With wildfire smoke, that is a deal killer. Just have to wait it out but thankfully those were not too many days out of the year. And when the winds shift one can get out even with the fires fairly near ... if not too close of course. When they threatened we found ourselves in Monterey and took a few day hikes. And when there were fires in Yosemite and Tahoe the trails around Mammoth Lakes were generally good with decent air quality.

Got to be tough. :)

Yesterday the weather was gorgeous. I've been meaning to make a new flowerbed, so I outlined where I want it (it's HUGE) and raked for 4 HOURS to fill it with pine straw from our yard. It's about half done :LOL:. I also dug out some particularly stubborn weeds. Taking today off cause it's cold and I'm sore. Working on it again tomorrow.

Exercise

A couple of years ago I got a treadmill. My wife wanted it. She hardly ever uses it but I started on it. I lost between 25 to 30 pounds within six months and have kept it off for almost two years now. I do the treadmill while watching television, particularly athletic events. I usually do between 60 and 75 minutes and at least 500 calories, as measured by the treadmill. Then I alternate days between barbell exercises and a rowing machine. The rowing machine burns more calories. I probaby need a rest day between the barbells. I do pushups and crunches everyday. At 74 I feel pretty good. At my last annual wellness physical my blood pressure was 105 over 59. Fifty years ago when I got out of the army it was 99 over 59, and I was doing a lot of raquetball playing then. I told my doctor that I was fighting father time. He responsed that so far he is undefeated. I retorted, "I know but I just want to make a full 15 rounds." Hard to tell how long I can keep it up, but I think the longer I can, the longer I can!!

My wife has been taking boxing for about 6 months. Went to a nearby park to keep her company in trying a new place. At the age of 69, signed up, got hand wraps & gloves for the first time ever.

Hadn’t done push ups, sit ups, jump rope or run in years, so ended up pulling some muscles the first few times. Getting used to it, so it’s no longer so painful.

DW and I have been doing this for many years: 30 minutes of weights, 3 mile walk on the beach. She adds 30 sit-ups in the morning. At night we do either a 1min 18sec plank or 15 sit-ups (for her), or 30 pushups (for me) every 30 mins for 2 hours. Forget how we came to 1min 18sec per plank, but it works. Almost forgot, I walk the golf course every day that the weather is good, and hit 3 to 6 buckets of balls. When the weather isn't good then the in-home golf simulator.

I have joined several challenges. One is a Run the Year (or walk) challenge to go 2,022 miles. I have almost 39 miles completed. Some of is is on a stationary bike or around the house and others are long hikes or walks (a great way to catch up on my podcast list).

I have joined several challenges. One is a Run the Year (or walk) challenge to go 2,022 miles. I have almost 39 miles completed. Some of is is on a stationary bike or around the house and others are long hikes or walks (a great way to catch up on my podcast list).

Great idea.

I get up from the recliner to go to the kitchen at least a dozen times a day. Does that count? Maybe I will try to add something else in.

You sound like my husband. I’m scared for him. I begged him to at least do some chair exercises. Nope. I don’t get it. I’ve given up.

crossfit work out 12 days of Christmas:
1 Sumo DL High Pull (75lb)
2 Thrusters (75lb)
3 Push press (75lb)
4 Power Cleans (75lb)
5 Power Snatch (75lb)
6 kettlebell swings (45lb)
7 pull ups (butterfly)
8 T2B
9 box jumps (24in box)
10 push ups
11 burpees
12 OH walking lunges (45 lb weight plate)
Preform like the song.... 1, 2-1, 3-2-1, ...,12-11-10-...2-1
Time: 29:21 �� almost passed out which is the goal!

Last edited:
@NextInLine - Do you use the 75lb for a lot of the exercises so you don't have to change plates? Your time (29:21) reminds me of a lady on YouTube who used to try to do (x) number of exercise movements within a given time. The more of the same exercise she could do in the fixed time frame (think it was 30 minutes) the better shape she considered herself to be...and she was in very good shape indeed.

You sound like my husband. I’m scared for him. I begged him to at least do some chair exercises. Nope. I don’t get it. I’ve given up.

Your DH sounds like my MIL. She’s 92 and quit exercise class when Covid came around. She recently sat down on the floor and had a hard time getting to her feet.

So DW got her started lifting weights at home. Body weight squats, and 2 lb curls, and a few other things.

She has memory issues, so it’s convenient for her to say “I forgot” or “ I don’t remember” when DW calls her daily to see if she has done her exercises. She really doesn’t want to exercise anymore.

Back
Top Bottom