2022 workout thread

A 45 mile round trip cycling to Loch Lomond yesterday. That was tough as it was my first outing on the bike for 3 months. Thighs were burning on the return leg and today my posterior was rather tender:).

Today I did a 10 mile walk. That’s 156 miles in January where I targeted 5 miles a day, so I achieved my target with 10 days to spare :dance:

Deadlifts - 5 sets of 12
squats - 3 sets of 12, then gave up because I can't get comfortable doing them with resistance bands.

I am no match for most of you here, but in addition to my daily 3/4 mile walk with the dog, about 2 weeks ago I got back to swimming. 60 lengths of the (not Olympic size) pool. Takes about 40 minutes.

Our weather here has been glorious- sunny and high 60’s to low 70’s. We have built our week around as many outdoor, ocean viewing miles as possible.

Monday- 7 mile ridge hike
Tuesday- 6.5 mile harbor and beach walk
Wednesday- 7 mile beach sand walk
Thursday- 8 mile coastal walk along bluffs
Friday- 6 mile ridge hike (different ridge from Monday)
Tomorrow, Saturday, we are kayaking 6 miles in Newport Beach Harbor. Weather projected to be 76 degrees and sunny
Sunday we are planning a 30 mile coastal bike trail ride into and thru Camp Pendleton to Oceanside.

After we sweat through our miles, we eat somewhere in the vicinity, outdoors, or take out if no outdoor seating. It’s so much nicer to be outdoors than in a gym, even if/though my gym has nice ocean views. There is just something about being outdoors. I sleep like a child.

I’m having surgery next week to remove a large cyst in my leg that is pressing on a large nerve. I had to stop running 10 years ago because of pain in the exact region where the cyst is, and can. not. wait. to start running again post-recovery. I’ve picked out a half marathon to start training for, which I’ll run on my 60th birthday. It will be something like my 22nd half marathon, but after a ten year gap, possibly the sweetest one yet.

Last edited:
A 45 mile round trip cycling to Loch Lomond yesterday. That was tough as it was my first outing on the bike for 3 months. Thighs were burning on the return leg and today my posterior was rather tender:).

It's always the posterior that limits my miles, rarely the legs. :LOL:

Last edited:
Today was one hour of zoom yoga. It was a very good class with a nice challenge to it. This afternoon I walked in the neighborhood for just under a mile. It was very cold out, barely above zero today. I am heading to Florida Sunday and can't wait.

Rinse and repeat for me today. Except it was 13 degrees when I walked so a little warmer. I can't wait for warmer weather so I can bike and then later swim.

Recently did an under 19:30 5k on the Concept2 rower. Followed it up by doing a sub 39:50 10k the next day. The lungs and quads are still complaining.

Weekend had walking the dog at McLaren park and Golden Gate park, got my 10k steps in both days but was otherwise lazy.

Today:
Twenty minute walk with the dog.
Twist resistance bar therapy for lateral epicondylitis
.25m 3mph treadmill 12degree
20 burpees
20 basu ball squats, 20 15lb single leg touchdowns on the bosu, both legs
.25m 5mph treadmill flat
60 jumping jacks
.25m 8mph treadmill flat
4x10 assisted pullups with 3x10 unassisted dips interleaved
.25m 8mph treadmill 6degree
.25m 8mph treadmill 6degree (lost track and did it twice after following the dog upstairs and playing with her)
6x10 different core exercises (crunches, v-ups, leg raises, hanging leg raises)
cooldown
more cooldown

I am n Florida! It is chilly here, but much nicer than home. We walked several miles, some on the beach and swam in the nice heated pool at our rental house. Awesome!!

resistance bands:

squats - 6 x 10
deadlifts - 6 x 10

Also walked yesterday about an hour but didn't put it with yesterday's workout.

resistance bands, went to a thicker band so reps dropped due to increased intensity

overhead press - 6 sets of 8
bent over rose - 6 x 8
walk - 1 hour

Back in December, DW had grounded me from swimming, due to rise in COVID #'s. They've moved down, so this morning I was back in the pool :dance: A couple of hours later, I braved the 25 degree wind chill and had a great 3 1/2 mile run.

Back in December, DW had grounded me from swimming, due to rise in COVID #'s. They've moved down, so this morning I was back in the pool :dance: A couple of hours later, I braved the 25 degree wind chill and had a great 3 1/2 mile run.

You rock :dance: Glenn! See you around town!

Brian (riding my bike with one wheel that goes no where)!

I am back home in Iowa and back to walking in the neighborhood as the sidewalks are mostly clear now. We walked outside early this morning, just over a mile and I am going to go for a brisk stroll shortly. I also want to do a 30 minute strength and balance workout via video.

This is my post-cyst removal mileage, thus very meaningful to me, in that my hope is to return to running after a 10 year gap. The cyst was wrapped around my peroneal nerve, and thus the source of the pain that eventually forced me to stop running.

Tue- Day of surgery, 0 miles
Wed- 1 slooooow mile on treadmill
Thur- 3 slow-ish miles at the beach on sand
Fri- Lots of standing, but 0 miles
Sat- 5 slightly faster miles on dirt and sand
Sun- 7 slightly faster miles on dirt, including hills

I'm waiting for two week checkup, which will include removal of stitches, at which point I'll seek the go ahead to start back with running.

The goal/hope is to run a half marathon (again!) for my 60th birthday later this year. My DD wants to run it with me. Already feeling emotional about it.

I missed several days of workouts while we drove back home from Florida. Anyway, I made up for it today. We had been gone for 5 weeks and had several dumps of snow. I don't have a snowblower and wife's daughter did the bare minimum. The driveway is 90' - 100' long and ranges from 20' - 40' wide. Today's workout:

- 90 minutes of very heavy shoveling

60 mins in gym today with all muscle groups exercised. Just an update, target walking in January of 5 miles a day (155 miles) was smashed with 185 miles achieved.

Mountain bike yesterday took the “hole shot” at the start (leading at first turn) and in the lead for the first of 5 laps. Couldn’t hold onto the lead after lap 1 and placed 3rd.

Daily sessions at the gym doing mind numbing intervals on the treadmill and strength training are paying off. So far this year raced mountain bike 4 times and on the podium 4 times.

I often run 2 consecutive days, but usually one of them is shorter. Today, though, was my 2nd straight day of running 4+ miles each time, and both days very cold wind chill (but sunny, so thanks to being properly dressed the runs were very enjoyable).

22 miles this morning at 8:18 mile pace and 131 ave HR. Followed by a bag of Jelly Babies. Four weeks to Napa marathon hoping to run under 3hr10.

All my workouts lately have been working in the yard. Today I spent 5 hours digging Yaupon holly from around our pine trees, hauling off the debris, then planting 8 camellias. 21k steps. I'm not quite done planting all my treasures from plant shopping this weekend. That will be tomorrow's workout.

8 rounds for time:
15 pulls up
15 push ups
20 air squats
15 burpees

Time: 19:26

Bought a Bowflex PR3000 last month. DH and I've been using it every day since. About 15 minutes a day. I can already see changes in DH's arms. I'm still as flabby as before, but I feel a bit stronger.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom