3rd Shift Job

aaronc879

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I have accepted a new job working 3rd shift(10P-6A) Mon-Fri. For the last several years I have been going to bed by 10P most nights so this will be a big adjustment. I won't be able to get adjusted ahead of time because I will be training 8a-4p for a week then go straight to the new shift after that weekend. For those of you who worked nights how did you adjust? Any tips or tricks?

I've never done that exactly, although I've had to adjust for foreign work travel. My son also works nights (6pm to 6am) and I've watched him.

I would do a few things:

1. I'd make a plan ahead of time for that weekend after training and before your first night shift. It might make sense to clear any social or other obligations that weekend so you can adjust.

2. I find it easier to stay up later and later rather than go to bed earlier and earlier. So I'd probably try to do something like:

Thursday of training - stay up until midnight.
Friday of training - stay up until 2am
Saturday after training - stay up until 4am
Sunday after training - stay up until 6am

Trying to get a normal X hours of sleep a night (whatever is normal for you).

3. Don't try to switch back to days on the weekends. Just become a permanent night owl. It might be a bit lonely socially because you'll be on an unusual sleep schedule. You can maybe accommodate a bit by having the rest of your wake time be from, say, 4pm to 10pm and hang with people then, or from 6am to noon and hang with people then.

Good luck and congrats on the new job!

Been a long time since I've done shift work.

I'd suggest starting to change your sleep schedule on the Friday before. Stay up as late as you can on Friday, then stay up later each day. The first couple of nights on 3rd shift are likely to be tough no matter what you do so plan for it. Have your favorite caffeinated beverage on hand in quantity.

On your days off, try to keep with the same sleep schedule you settle on during the work week.

Some people like to go home and sleep during the morning. Others like to slapp in the afternoon and evening before work. You will have to figure out the schedule that works best for you.

In college we had choice of White Cross or Black Beauties. :angel:

The only reason I even know what black beauties are is from the movie Walk The Line. Never heard of White Cross.

Last edited:
I worked nights for a few years. At first I took a thermos of coffee, but that just made me more tired somehow. So I don't recommend it. Maybe have a cup of coffee at home before going to work, and leave it at that. (If you are a coffee drinker) I hope your drive in to work at 10 PM is a low traffic event. And 6 AM returning might be early enough to also be low traffic. And congratulations on your new job, Aaron.

So far both responses suggest staying with the same schedule on the off days. I guess that would be better although it's tough to do stuff in the evenings in the Winter when it's dark by 4p and really cold. I can't rely on caffeine too much because this is a mill job and it is food related so no drinks on the production floor. I'll have to load up on break if I think I need it.

I worked nights for a few years. At first I took a thermos of coffee, but that just made me more tired somehow. So I don't recommend it. Maybe have a cup of coffee at home before going to work, and leave it at that. (If you are a coffee drinker) I hope your drive in to work at 10 PM is a low traffic event. And 6 AM returning might be early enough to also be low traffic. And congratulations on your new job, Aaron.

The drive in will definitely be much lighter traffic than the way home but it is just 3 miles thru town, no highways. Commute should be pretty easy. I am a little concerned about starting my car at 6am after being in potentially zero degree weather or lower for 8+ hours. Isn't starting your car at the coldest time of the day the worst thing you can do as far as temperature related car things?

The drive in will definitely be much lighter traffic than the way home but it is just 3 miles thru town, no highways. Commute should be pretty easy. I am a little concerned about starting my car at 6am after being in potentially zero degree weather or lower for 8+ hours. Isn't starting your car at the coldest time of the day the worst thing you can do as far as temperature related car things?

Not really, cars are designed for cold weather. Get yourself a lithium battery jump pack in case you have a dead battery. Also, make sure your battery is in good condition and not too old. (clean terminals, acid topped up).

The only reason I even know what black beauties are is from the movie Walk The Line. Never heard of White Cross.

It's all speed. :LOL:

How about a line from Little Feat?

I've been from Tucson to Tucumcari
Tehachapi to Tonapah
Driven every kind of rig that's ever been made
Driven the back roads
So I wouldn't get weighed
And if you give me weed, whites, and wine
And you show me a sign
I'll be willin'... to be movin'

At times I'd work with other engineers on startup of a new process. We might work all day as a group, then some of us would leave at 4:00 PM, and come back at 8:00 PM to work a 12 hour shift that night. I always found it best to just stay awake that afternoon and right on till 8:00 AM the next day. Then sleep a lot the next day, and transition into the 8:00 PM start time.

I also had a summer job once filling in for security whenever they had an off shift or vacation or something. Then I'd work day shift if I wasn't needed for security. So I was changing shifts all the time. After a few weeks, I didn't know what day it was, if I woke up and it was light outside I didn't know if it was morning or evening. Luckily I got offered a better job after a few weeks and got out of there.

get window covers built for your bedroom, it helps greatly. Any light at all will trip up what is going to be an unnatural sleep pattern.
I did 100 days straight of 2 weeks day, then 2 weeks 3rd after 8 hours off, then 2 weeks swing after 8 hours off. Repeat. That was brutal only 8 hours to turn.

I've never done that exactly, although I've had to adjust for foreign work travel. My son also works nights (6pm to 6am) and I've watched him.

I would do a few things:

1. I'd make a plan ahead of time for that weekend after training and before your first night shift. It might make sense to clear any social or other obligations that weekend so you can adjust.

2. I find it easier to stay up later and later rather than go to bed earlier and earlier. So I'd probably try to do something like:

Thursday of training - stay up until midnight.
Friday of training - stay up until 2am
Saturday after training - stay up until 4am
Sunday after training - stay up until 6am

Trying to get a normal X hours of sleep a night (whatever is normal for you).

3. Don't try to switch back to days on the weekends. Just become a permanent night owl. It might be a bit lonely socially because you'll be on an unusual sleep schedule. You can maybe accommodate a bit by having the rest of your wake time be from, say, 4pm to 10pm and hang with people then, or from 6am to noon and hang with people then.

Good luck and congrats on the new job!
+1

My experience is the same international travel and system issues where you're the chosen ones. I'd add a good diet and hydration.

Get in the habit turning off your phone ringer while you sleep. A low dose of melatonin might help you sleep during the day better.
I found sleeping right after my shift worked better for me. Having time to do things in the afternoon helped increase my energy level for going into my shift.
You’ll adjust to night work easy enough. I had a rotating shift schedule of a week of days, a week of mids, then a week of nights. Days and nights were seven days each and mids were a five day stretch. I lasted a year and a half before I moved on.

get window covers built for your bedroom, it helps greatly. Any light at all will trip up what is going to be an unnatural sleep pattern.
I did 100 days straight of 2 weeks day, then 2 weeks 3rd after 8 hours off, then 2 weeks swing after 8 hours off. Repeat. That was brutal only 8 hours to turn.

I have been sleeping in the bedroom in the basement for a few months because of a really loud neighbor. I will continue to sleep down there where it is completely dark 24/7 with the lights off. I had the option of working 6-6 rotating between days and nights but chose the straight 8 hour 3rd shift instead thinking that it would be better than rotating. I am giving up some money but that's okay.

Last edited:
I take it you are single, that makes a huge difference. I'd stay on the schedule on the days off for the most part.

I take it you are single, that makes a huge difference. I'd stay on the schedule on the days off for the most part.

Yes I am single and expect to stay that way. I have no kids or dogs that would be affected by my new schedule.

It has been over 33 years, but I once worked the mid-shift. As I recall, I did best on the following schedule:

1. On the way home from work in the morning, go to the gym and workout. If you need to go to the grocery, do it after the gym.

2. When you get home, eat a very light meal and then go to bed.

3. Sleep until the late afternoon, then wake up, shower and spend some time with the wife (if applicable) or doing whatever else you desire.

4. Eat dinner in the evening (but don't drink alcohol), then go to work.

I worked night shift (7PM-7AM) for three years straight, then much of the last two years of work, in rotating shifts, which was horrible. However, I was a hospital physician, and we had a call room with a bed, so I was often able to catch Zzzzs on the job, which you won't be able to do. My shifts were long though. Here is what worked for me:

1. Stick to a night owl schedule on weekends. You may be able to modify it slightly for social reasons, but not too much.

2. Darkness when sleeping is really important. Get a sleep mask rather than blackout curtains. Considerably cheaper and very effective. I have a silk/satin one I bought years ago and it is really comfortable. It wasn't expensive.

Put your phone on "Do not Disturb" setting while you sleep.

3. Eating patterns will change too. Figure out what works for you and don't have a big meal within 2 hours of sleeping. You will probably eat during a break at work. That means two meals at home max.

I treated my schedule as if I had flipped by 12 hours. That means staying up until 9-10AM and sleeping as long as possible. Dentist appointments etc. might best be scheduled early in the day, like 8AM. Food shopping can be done on your way home on Saturday morning. Usually stores are stocked for the weekend anyway, and few people are out that early.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice so far. Lots of good ideas. I don't start until Jan 2nd. There was plenty of time for them to get me started earlier but I assume they didn't want to pay me for 4 holidays. I'm getting tired so i'm going to sleep at right about the time i'm going to have to start leaving for work. Oh boy, what did I get myself into...

I realize this isn't normal, but what worked for me was sleeping after work, wake up around noon. Then enjoy the day, and take a 2 hour nap before work. Everybody is different, so if nothing else works you might try that.
Don't hesitate to simply sleep when you are tired, and let that sort your schedule out.

In the 2022 budget/spending thread you indicated that you didn’t pay anything for the ACA coverage. Will this job provide you with healthcare? Are you going to lose your full subsidy? I hope you’ve given full consideration to what you will potentially lose by working and that the net benefit is worth it. I could not image going back to work. I sincerely wish you well.

In the 2022 budget/spending thread you indicated that you didn’t pay anything for the ACA coverage. Will this job provide you with healthcare? Are you going to lose your full subsidy? I hope you’ve given full consideration to what you will potentially lose by working and that the net benefit is worth it. I could not image going back to work. I sincerely wish you well.

I wasn't retired, I was self employed at a low income. I am not FI(43 years old). This job does have HI but it is expensive by my standards. I can either pay $45/wk for good coverage or $16/wk for HDHP. Still debating which to choose. I generally don't go to the doctor so I should choose the cheap plan but if I have one semi-major issue then it will cost more due to the $4800 deductible.

I used to do graveyard shifts. Agree with many posters that already provided good inputs. Few repeaters and what worked for me.

It’s great to establish a routine however, it is important not to stress out if for whatever reason, you’re not able to stick to it sometimes. On some days when I wanted to sleep per my routine, I was not able to because of all the work stimulation or morning errands or whatever reason. It’s ok. Don’t be too hard on yourself.

Prioritize sleep. Sleep as much as possible. I needed more than 8 hours everyday. It’s great if you can get at least 6 hrs at a stretch and another 2-3 hours.

It’s important to eat healthy. Plan your meals and don’t eat comfort food during the shift.

Exercise / workout. I am guilty of not exercising but my colleagues that exercised didn’t show any signs of fatigue during the shift

Unless there is a compelling reason to continue in 3rd shift, consider switching to day shift at the earliest opportunity.

I realize this isn't normal, but what worked for me was sleeping after work, wake up around noon. Then enjoy the day, and take a 2 hour nap before work. Everybody is different, so if nothing else works you might try that.
Don't hesitate to simply sleep when you are tired, and let that sort your schedule out.

I did that pattern too for 3rd. It was nice to schedule a dentist or doctor in the afternoons. Come back and grab the power nap.

Back
Top Bottom