An old man and his toys...

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I decided that these 61 year old knees needed some exercise other then walking my pup. Pulled my trusty steed off the wall, dusted her off and pumped up her tires and set off for a brief spin. I quickly thought - Oh how rusty I've become but my knees are getting some much needed exercise. However there is trouble in paradise my 20 year old hybrid (slightly fatter tires - with the more comfy seat) is kinda popping out of gear and the there's a bumping on that rear tire..it looks out of round.

A couple hours later I'm in a bike shop with the Mrs and I describe the symptoms to the bike technician and he says a tune up and new tires and you'll be good to go. Probably all in $140. He asks how old is your bike? I tell him An he says "Maybe you should think about a new bike."

The new bike (I call her Pegasus) $700 has new technology like front shocks, disc brakes, very light and is as beautiful as can be.. Zoom zoom and it has that new bike smell. I tell myself I deserve a new bike ...what's $700 dollars these days... This would have all been wonderful except my alter ego is standing next to me "maybe you should think about it a bit"..she says. Needless to say Wednesday night I can pick up our old bikes new tires and a tune up...

Ah sweet Pegasus we would have been wonderful together....

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum.

Remember how fragile your bones are getting and the slowing of reflexes after 60. There's been a few crash stories on here lately that were not pretty! Be careful and wear a helmet. ;)

Jeez, I tell you my dream and you tell me "you'll shoot your eye out".
With all due respect What a kill joy.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum.😋

$700 new cycle? Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead! Even on the old wheels.

Heck at near 68 I still figure skate.

How does that go?.... it's just like riding a bike.
There are plenty of oldsters still at it - check out the bike-forums 50+ section for company. Fifty Plus (50+)
Give it a little time, the new bike will be there if the knees hold up. Keep the rubber side down, and the wind at your back. :)
P.S. - For tender knees, proper saddle height and gear selection are crucial.

Last edited:
Coincidentally my faithful beater mountain bike turned 20 this summer. I occasionally figure I "deserve" a new bike... then I think the old heavy monster is essentially theft proof and probably keeps me in better shape then those $4K ultralight carbon fiber beauties some friends at work ride.

Worth noting too that several of my friends have had very serious bike accidents in their late '50s - early '60s... broken femur, both wrists broken, nasty endo leading to facial reconstruction surgery. 3 different friends of mine, all between 55 and 62 when the accidents occurred and in all but one case it proved to be the end of their biking career (fortunately not the end of a whole lot more). At 55 now I hope this doesn't mean I'm on borrowed time.

I don't mean to be a downer...but I guess I will. I'm 65 now. I've ridden motorcycles for 45+ years, never an accident, driven cars for close to 50 years, likewise. I rode a wonderful Peugeot 10 speed bicycle up to my late twenties, 2 serious accidents, 1 dislocated shoulder, one concussion. For whatever reason the ability for high speed and skinny tires and limited braking just didn't get along with my admittedly lacking abilities. Of course, YMMV...

Jeez, I tell you my dream and you tell me "you'll shoot your eye out".
With all due respect What a kill joy.

Naaah, just ride with scissors, a Lawn Dart, and dangling untied shoe laces, you'll be fine! :D

Thanks for the words of caution I'll be sure and take it real easy.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum.

Try to find some safe trails/roads to bike on. I've been biking a lot recently and it's a lot more safe and fun without cars whizzing by. And others have said, take it easy especially during the first few months. My routine is an easy pace 5 days a week, 14 miles a day. It's great - a good workout with no stress on the joints.

We bike a lot especially in the Rockies near Banff. Great exercise and especially good for knees. Fairly safe but a fall can be nasty. Have fun but be careful. Well worth it.

Get the bike. Take reasonable care.
You will likely get into better shape, strengthen some bones, and improve your social life [if you want].

ray - will you mainly be riding off road trails, paved roads?
Best of luck. It's a great way to stay in shape.

Don't give up on Pegasus just yet. There are some magnificent bikes in that price range these days.

I've been riding for 60+ years. Started on a tricycle and worked my way up to 3-speeds in the 50s, 10-speeds in the 60s, and flat out racing bikes and mountain bikes in the 80s. Eventually back issues had me buying a trike (previously Trice now called Ice) again in the late 90s. I still have my racing bike but it is now a chandelier in the garage and an old hybrid that I recently overhauled everything mechanical.

The recumbent trike (tadpole design - 2 wheels up front) is the bike that I will be safely riding from now on. Comfortable, no back, neck, shoulder issues or bottom issues. Easy on the knees, can't fall over, better views while riding, is pretty fast if you want, and can safely take a corner at high speed. The only downside is they can be expensive (about the cost of a nice 2 wheel bicycle - $2500+) but sometimes that doesn't matter if it is the main form of fun and exercise. Still less expensive than golf.

One of the best trikes today with an excellent reputation is a Catrike Recumbent Trikes recumbent.

You may also check to see if there are bike trails in your area. One place to look is Rails-to-Trails Conservancy - Creating a nationwide network of trails from former rail lines and building healthier places for healthier people. | Rails-to-Trails Conservancy for a safe (no traffic) place to ride.

Cheers!

While I don't doubt the result, the explanation of "petro-chemicals, insecticides and rises in background electro-magnetic field" makes me a tad skeptical of the source.

Yep, apparently no data to back that assertion. Not to say it isn't true, but I think lack of exercise is more of a cause of chronic health issues. I'll stick to riding, when it's not 106, like it was yesterday...

I too have recently returned to cycling as the knees have too many years and miles on them (25 years and 25 pounds ago I was running marathons). Really never stopped but it is currently my main source of exercise (other than mowing the lawn, took that chore back from my sons as I needed the exercise).
I try to find country roads and avoid peak traffic times for my rides. In my area, the fancy bike shops charge $70 for a tune-up but found a one man small shop that did mine for $35. Didn't need to true a wheel though. Mine is a 20 yr old Trek with fat street tires.
Last two week my 18 yr old and I went up to NY state (40 min drive) and did some trail rides. Lots of fun, but crashed on a short, steep downhill so I've become a more cautious rider after going over the handlebars. Gotta preserve the 65 yr old bone structures. Did OK with my street treads except in mud, and it has been relatively dry in NW PA lately. Did my usual hilly 16-18 mile course yesterday, always need a recovery day after those hills. Will need to invest in some cold weather gear as I hope to keep riding until the snow flies!

Helmet always, glove help a lot, and bicylce shorts sure help my old butt.

Yep, I still have a nice 20 yo mountain bike and a 17 yo road racing bike from the "glory" days. I haven't ridden offroad in a decade, but still ride the road bike, often on the indoor trainer (midwest, so half the year is cold/dark/wet).

I started riding recumbent bikes (2 wheel) 15 years ago. DW and I have very nice 'bents that we take on easy rides through our nice subdivision. We do 10-20 miles/day a few days a week, just on the quiet local streets.

We test rode nice recumbent trikes and loved everything but the price $$$$. We see another retired couple cruising around here on 'bent trikes, often for hours. At some point, we may do the same. Not a bad deal, sure beats creeping disability in from of the TV...

You guys have to take care on some of those bike paths, especially if they are busy. We have lots of trouble with careless cyclists and joggers. Most trouble is due to someone with smart phone, headphones, and nothing in between the headphones. Smart phone, dumb *ass...

So we actually feel safer on the quiet local streets. We ogle the houses, fancy and not so fancy, and really get to know the local neighborhood. We love just biking straight out of our garage, no need to stuff bikes into a car. Very low PITA factor, so we bike often.

Happy and safe trails!

FB

I feel ya! Last three new bikes were "This will be my last new bike ever".

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I decided that these 61 year old knees needed some exercise other then walking my pup. Pulled my trusty steed off the wall, dusted her off and pumped up her tires and set off for a brief spin. I quickly thought - Oh how rusty I've become but my knees are getting some much needed exercise...
A couple hours later I'm in a bike shop with the Mrs and I describe the symptoms to the bike technician and he says a tune up and new tires and you'll be good to go. Probably all in $140. He asks how old is your bike? I tell him An he says "Maybe you should think about a new bike."
The new bike (I call her Pegasus) $700 has new technology like front shocks, disc brakes, very light and is as beautiful as can be.. Zoom zoom and it has that new bike smell. I tell myself I deserve a new bike ...what's $700 dollars these days... This would have all been wonderful except my alter ego is standing next to me "maybe you should think about it a bit"..she says. Needless to say Wednesday night I can pick up our old bikes new tires and a tune up...QUOTE]

Ray, Listen to your alter ego standing next to you. You've only just started back riding so you don't "deserve it". See if you stick with it before listening to the bike shop and buying a $700 bike.

_1394233260.jpg

Back
Top Bottom