And you thought you had it all

SmallCityDave

Recycles dryer sheets
I was driving to work and I see this guy and I had to chuckle.

It looks to be a 40ft diesel pusher pulling a big trailer with a GMC quad cab 4x4 truck with a nice speed boat on top (I've never seen this before).... we also don't want to forget the atv that's located in front of the truck. Looks like this guy is living his best life.

I got a kick out of it so I thought I'd share.

Attachments

• my best life.JPG
    my best life.JPG
    287.9 KB · Views: 538
How does he get the Boat down and launched? I can't tell from the pic.... Hydraulic Jacks/Cylinders ??

I would not want to drive that rig under any circumstances....

It is funny what some folks want and like...

I'll have to save this pic to show my GF. I don't think she can say I go overboard when packing for trips anymore after seeing this. :D

My first thought is: What kind of mega-mansion does this guy live in? I bet he's got an attached garage to hold all his toys. If not, he's probably got a heated/insulated pole barn. If I wanted to BTD, I suppose I could have a similar rig - not that there would be anyplace on the island to park it or store it. You DON'T see many (any?) RVs on Oahu - though you see boats BIGGER than this - typically stored at a place across from our Costco, for whatever reasons. There's not too many boat slips coming open these days, though we did look at a place on the marina 10 years ago when we were thinking about moving from Windward. You could store one or two boats on the canal. I never see anyone moving theirs, but I suppose they do from time to time. I call it "wretched excess" but who am I to judge? YMMV

My first thought is: What kind of mega-mansion does this guy live in? I bet he's got an attached garage to hold all his toys. If not, he's probably got a heated/insulated pole barn. If I wanted to BTD, I suppose I could have a similar rig - not that there would be anyplace on the island to park it or store it. You DON'T see many (any?) RVs on Oahu - though you see boats BIGGER than this - typically stored at a place across from our Costco, for whatever reasons. There's not too many boat slips coming open these days, though we did look at a place on the marina 10 years ago when we were thinking about moving from Windward. You could store one or two boats on the canal. I never see anyone moving theirs, but I suppose they do from time to time. I call it "wretched excess" but who am I to judge? YMMV
If the guy doesn't want the stress of driving he probably hired someone to do it while he or she kicks back and enjoys the ride.

I would hate hauling all that stuff around. Parking and unloading would be awful. I imagine he would hate living in my city rowhouse with a dinky garage that couldn't hold the pickup. Different strokes for different folks.

30% chance the person owns all those depreciating liabilities, and 70% chance everything they tow is owned by banks. They are just leasing / borrowing money to have a good time. Retirement never came up in their future plans.

Maybe just moving between his workplace home in Michigan to his retirement home Florida taking a lifetime of accumulated junk in a single trip.

Maybe just moving between his workplace home in Michigan to his retirement home Florida taking a lifetime of accumulated junk in a single trip.

That was my first thought. Wouldn't be much of a vacation, running that rig and loading/unloading all the time.

Still, great conversation piece. Thanks for posting the photo!

I guess I do see things different that most here... My first thought was this was a repo load. Second thought was, if it's the owner, I sure hope he's not moving to Texas.

Last edited:
How does he get the Boat down and launched? I can't tell from the pic.... Hydraulic Jacks/Cylinders ??

Ive seen a couple of these set ups.... this one looks like you unload the truck, then the upper rack lowers down to the main trailer.

Ive seen a large class A pulling a pontoon... the guy had a front mount hitch. would drop the boat turn around and hook to the front and push the boat down the ramp and unload...

Ive seen a couple of these set ups.... this one looks like you unload the truck, then the upper rack lowers down to the main trailer.

Ive seen a large class A pulling a pontoon... the guy had a front mount hitch. would drop the boat turn around and hook to the front and push the boat down the ramp and unload...

You definitely need to get that right the first time. I still recall watching a guy get his back tires into the water as he backed his boat in. He must have freaked out and spun his wheels because of poor tires, the wet pavement and the weight of the boat (the slimy concrete ramp probably didn't help). His car slid back into the water and the boat was pulled under. Bad day at the boat landing - I'm sure this happens more than most would think. YMMV

He needs horses too. Geeze what's a family vacation without the horses?

Sadly I see crazy people like this. We live 20 miles from where the roads end, people like to drive stuff like this 15mph up our little winding road on their way to big adventures in the wilderness. Sure hope the satellite dish is working! Fire up the generator because it's sure dark out here!

Different strokes, my first thought, what a PIA hauling all that crap around.

Different strokes, my first thought, what a PIA hauling all that crap around.
:LOL: Actually it would be...

OTOH, if you were really rich, you'd already have all of that stuff at each of your houses/mansions just waiting for you... No need to haul it around.

Maybe the RV is his home. We have an dear friend who lives in his RV and works repairing RVs and doing solar installations on RVs. He tows his vehicle behind him when he shifts from his winter and summer locations. He used to have two vehicles. A truck with his equipment and a daily vehicle. He had to drive between locations twice, once with the RV and once with the truck, taking the train back to get the other vehicle. He gave up the old truck when the pandemic made it impossible to take the train last year.

My guess is the RV is this person’s home.

Not my cup of tea, but to each his own!

What? No place to put the Waverunner? How can this guy go to the lake without a PWC.

My RV is just 36', and I've got more toys than that. Thankfully the RV stays in the Blue Ridge Mountains in a campground. The 24' boat and Waverunner stay in a double boathouse in our front yard. We have no reason to transport any of them very often.

My cousin also travels heavy with a $375K diesel pusher and a triple horse trailer with two quarter horses in it. He's going to equestrian competitions every weekend in the summer. At least I don't have to feed my toys and re-shoe them monthly.

Maybe the RV is his home. We have an dear friend who lives in his RV and works repairing RVs and doing solar installations on RVs. He tows his vehicle behind him when he shifts from his winter and summer locations. He used to have two vehicles. A truck with his equipment and a daily vehicle. He had to drive between locations twice, once with the RV and once with the truck, taking the train back to get the other vehicle. He gave up the old truck when the pandemic made it impossible to take the train last year.

My guess is the RV is this person’s home.
Could be, honestly that makes more sense than a vacation setup. I too know a guy who is living in his RV, moves twice yearly and finds something to do. He just pulls a Wrangler.

Ironically, now that I can afford that crap, I no longer want it.

Cowan's Dichotomy

I'd call it the "Cowan's Paradox" and I'm the same way. I recall having nothing and wanting everything. Now I have way more than I want with money to buy more - but no interest in actually owning it. I honestly think the longing for stuff is WAY more powerful than the joy of owning stuff.

I DO know a few folks who (at least for a time) give in to every urge to own. My buddy I always refer to who at 76 OWES half a million went out and bought a Camaro - the hot one (forget the designation) spent 7 grand on a blower for it. He SOLD the thing and bought a Vette that he's fixing up to be even quicker than the Camaro. He will never grow up, but at least he has grown OLD, so I guess there's that! Apparently, he's never read up on Cowan's Dichotomy or Cowan's Paradox so YMMV.

I'd call it the "Cowan's Paradox" and I'm the same way. I recall having nothing and wanting everything. Now I have way more than I want with money to buy more - but no interest in actually owning it. I honestly think the longing for stuff is WAY more powerful than the joy of owning stuff.

100%. I marvel at the tens of thousands of marinas full of bobbing boats that hardly ever get used, every one of them costing money for dockage. Meanwhile, DW and I can rent a brand new beautiful pontoon for $400/day when the fancy strikes, which the staff has cleaned, prepped and waiting for us at their dock. Boy is that an easy choice for me.

We have friends who use a similar contraption to that, to pull a truck (not as large as the one in the picture) and several jet skis behind their motor home for their camping trips. They store it in a barn they built (they have 20+ acres). They are very nice people, our families have camped together many times. While I would not want it, they can afford it. They are our age, the he enjoys his job but still seems to have enough time to use it a lot.

Back
Top Bottom