And you thought you had it all

I would hate hauling all that stuff around. Parking and unloading would be awful. I imagine he would hate living in my city rowhouse with a dinky garage that couldn't hold the pickup. Different strokes for different folks.

I can't imagine loading, unloading, cleaning and maintaining all that.

Not for me either. I can find better things to do because trying keep all that stuff up.

My first thought was "look at all those toys! Excessive." Then I realized I have a mountain cabin, truck, and ATV. People in glass houses, ya know?

Of course I bought the 1970 era cabin as a foreclosure that sat empty for 10 years, the truck is a 1993, and the ATV was bought used for $2k. So maybe the house is plexi glass.

Last edited:
My first thought was "look at all those toys! Excessive." Then I realized I have a mountain cabin, truck, and ATV. People in glass houses, ya know?

Of course I bought the 1970 era cabin as a foreclosure that sat empty for 10 years, the truck is a 1993, and the ATV was bought used for $2k. So maybe the house is plexi glass.

Nice :biggrin:

My first thought is that the items in the picture are on the way to the much-younger wife, as part of the settlement.

My cousin also travels heavy with a $375K diesel pusher and a triple horse trailer with two quarter horses in it. He's going to equestrian competitions every weekend in the summer. At least I don't have to feed my toys and re-shoe them monthly.

He hit Tryon International Equestrian Center in NC? I do a bit of standby work there.

I agree with ExFlyBoy, lots of assumptions being made here. From people who may not understand the lifestyle. We've had a diesel motorhome for over 12 years and love traveling in it. I've had a boat until I retired then realized I wanted to do more traveling so sold it. We spend more than half the year in the motorhome. I have many friends who either do the same or are fulltiming. Yes there are many who are in debt just like others who live in houses and have plenty of toys. But people who are fulltimers are typically more frugal and have lower expenses than those in houses. And if it's important to you their environmental footprint is much lower than someone living in a house.

I agree with ExFlyBoy, lots of assumptions being made here. From people who may not understand the lifestyle. We've had a diesel motorhome for over 12 years and love traveling in it. I've had a boat until I retired then realized I wanted to do more traveling so sold it. We spend more than half the year in the motorhome. I have many friends who either do the same or are fulltiming. Yes there are many who are in debt just like others who live in houses and have plenty of toys. But people who are fulltimers are typically more frugal and have lower expenses than those in houses. And if it's important to you their environmental footprint is much lower than someone living in a house.

A home on wheels would be an interesting life. I see it as an adventure and fun.

I suppose that footprint is much lower because there are fewer people living in motorhomes. If everyone lived in one the impact I would imagine would be much higher.

[/B]

A home on wheels would be an interesting life. I see it as an adventure and fun.

I suppose that footprint is much lower because there are fewer people living in motorhomes. If everyone lived in one the impact I would imagine would be much higher.

+1

An RV uses much less energy to cool/heat compared to a home, simply because it's much smaller.

It does take fuel to drive it about, but full-timers usually stay put at one place for a month or several weeks, compared to RV travelers like me who do 10,000-mile cross-country trips.

And if it is a tiny home, the footprint is really small.

01_Camping-Designs_Romotov_trailer.jpg

What if you suddenly want to do some woodworking while camping?

This RV'er can bring his workshop with him.

It's not about having it all. Many of us already have loads of "stuff". It's about having it with you all the time. :)

20090716w_hummerbus01.jpg

Last edited:
I like that NW-Bound!!

That is an awesome RV you posted in the first picture!!! I imagine living on the road from spot to spot is okay, for awhile. I'm a home body and would miss home and all my surroundings.

Ugh!

Just found out that the interesting folding camper shown earlier is built by Romotow of New Zealand. It's fiberglass composite, and light.

The price is $350K. Don't know if that US$ or NZ$, but it ain't cheap.

romotow-t8-2020-camper-trailer.jpg

I like that NW-Bound!!

That is an awesome RV you posted in the first picture!!! I imagine living on the road from spot to spot is okay, for awhile. I'm a home body and would miss home and all my surroundings.

We love to travel in our 25' motorhome, and sleep in random places like vagabonds.

For up to 2 months, it's OK. :)

Wonder how long the boat's transom will hold with the weight of the big outboard bouncing.

Ugh!

Just found out that the interesting folding camper shown earlier is built by Romotow of New Zealand. It's fiberglass composite, and light.

The price is $350K. Don't know if that US$ or NZ$, but it ain't cheap.

romotow-t8-2020-camper-trailer.jpg

I love this! So much more attractive than the typical RV in my opinion.

Whatever floats your boat. It wouldn't be for me , even if I could afford it, but hey, whatever turns someone on. Too much hassle for me to bother with.

We love to travel in our 25' motorhome, and sleep in random places like vagabonds.

For up to 2 months, it's OK. :)

The vagabond part is right down my alley! Lol For a few months would be good but not sure if I could do it for life. I would be dreaming of the the things I'm missing out on the things I love to do at home.

Very neat RV not sure I would give 350k for it but pretty sweet!

I DO see the appeal of a "roll your own" home, I really do. Having said that, I know DW and my personalities well enough to know it wouldn't work for us for enough time to justify the relatively high price of $350K.

I think if I were to sell out for a perpetual-travel life-style, I would, instead purchase the equivalent of a Lincoln Town Car type vehicle (more-or-less "luxurious" large touring car) traveling to sites of interest with 1 to 4 week stays in INN SUITES or similar accommodations. I think I'd STILL want a true home base - much as we keep on the mainland (the old family home-stead which is pretty much a "nothing" place, but has some of our "stuff" in it and is amazingly comfortable - like the proverbial "old shoe.") As always, life-styles are very much YMMV.

The vagabond part is right down my alley! Lol For a few months would be good but not sure if I could do it for life. I would be dreaming of the the things I'm missing out on the things I love to do at home.

Very neat RV not sure I would give 350k for it but pretty sweet!

Any RV'er should make a trip to Alaska. Any place where you can pull off the road to park safely, you can spend the night. I have made many night stops by a lake, a clearing, a stream, a bay. Heck, in an Alaska town, we spent two nights parked behind the town hall, and close to the town library. No one came to tell us to move out. :D

You can do the same in the Yukon. If it looks like public land, and there's no sign saying you cannot spend the night, then it's OK.

In one larger town in the Yukon, we spent some time at the tourist center to look at exhibits, and watched their movies. Afterwards, I asked if it was permissible to spend the night parked on the street, and not having to go to an RV park. The man at the center said, he would not say that it was officially kosher to do so, but he knew that the only city employee whose responsibility was to check on this kind of violation was too busy with other things, and could not be bothered if we spent only one night. And so, I spend the night with my RV on the street right outside the visitor center. Heh heh heh...

In another well-known town in Alaska, I asked a man at the visitor center about nearby campgrounds. He said why bother, if I could just drive to the ocean shore highway and find a free spot. And so, that's what I did, sleeping with the ocean right outside my window. Heh heh heh...

Last edited:
If I'm going to drive anything bigger than a minivan, I want a paycheck for doing it.

^^^ Many people can travel and camp out in a van. I need a bit more comfort than a van can provide, i.e. bathroom facilities. But bringing everything with you while traveling is too much.

I wonder if people traveling while towing so much are in fact not travelers but full-timers. If they don't bring the "stuff" with them, then where would they store it?

And if they have so much stuff that they cannot do without, then perhaps they should live in a conventional home after all.

Back
Top Bottom