Anything different heating this winter?

Natural gas in a cold climate.
I was sick for the first weeks of November and stopped turning the temp down at night. Planning on keeping it at 67 day and night this year instead of turning it down at night. It's been nice not waiting for the house to warm up in the morning or freezing getting up in the middle of the night. Expect the increased cost will be about $20 month.

Sent from my LM-Q850 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

My heat, hot water and AC is included in my hoa fees. They are all on a central boiler system. I have a blower in the ceiling which circulates the air so my electric bill ranges from 30-40/month. I have gotten colder since I have gotten older and glad I don’t have to keep my condo cold.

Our home uses oil for heat.
Even now, daytime temperatures are mid-40s to mid-50s. However, I've decided to do more this year and not turn it on. We're using a couple of small electric space heaters in whichever room we're hanging out in, and the bedroom at night. I'm willing to trade a higher electric bill for not paying (so much) for oil.
If the electric bill comes in $100 to $150/month higher, maybe even $200 higher for the next few months, I'll be happy.

Wow, what would the bill for oil be if you heat the entire house?

I am always impressed by how much more people in cold climates pay for heating than we southwesterners pay for cooling. And I have an all-electric home with heat pumps.

Before having the solar power system, I used to pay $400 for the month of August (peak cooling), and $150 for the month of February (peak heating). Hottest daytime temperature in the summer is 115-120F, and coldest nighttime in the winter is usually in the low 40F.

Now with the solar system, I pay $100 for August, and about the same for February. My solar system is poorly situated to work in the winter due to the 2-story house shading the ground-mounted panels when the sun angle is low. I am working to remedy this by installing additional panels on the roof.

PS. Annual electric bill prior to solar: $2500. After solar: $750.

The electric rate has not gone up much here.

Last edited:
We're fortunate to have somewhat mild weather in the Mid South, but it gets fairly cold Jan-Mar. We're also glad to have TVA electricity @ 10.5 cents per KWH.

We live 10 miles from town out of town, and our subdivision doesn't have natural gas like the city. Homes are most commonly heated/cooled with heat pumps and many have a couple of gas fireplaces fueled with LP as heat backups.

I've been keeping the thermostats @ 70 degrees and my electricity bill for November was about $130--for 3900 square feet. If the temperatures fall, I often cut the heat down and use space heaters with fans to heat up whatever bedrooms are occupied.

It's the Summers that are blazing hot, and our electricity bills will run $300. So I cannot complain about winters. We really feel sorry for those in the northeast that have never been given the option to have natural gas as a heating source.

Only change is paying more... We have always tried to keep the cost down.

I have dual zone heating/cooling. The upstairs unit is a 3.5 ton heat pump. The downstairs unit is also a 3.5 ton heat pump, but it has oil backup. I think it goes to oil when temps drop below 40 degrees.

Luckily, I've only been having to do one fill up per year. In the 4 years I've been here I paid...
$2.79/gal (2/11/2019)
$1.84/gal (4/30/2020, cue up Archie and Edith on the piano, those were the days!)
$3.29/gal (11/18/2021)
$3.56/gal (5/15/2022)

I try to wait until I need at least 200 gallons, as the delivery company usually cuts a slight deal when you order 200+. But, this last time I only ordered 155. I think I did it because prices were starting to shoot up, and I wanted to get it before it really went up.

I think electric rates have gone up as well, but I haven't noticed anything too extreme on the electric bills yet.

I have been trying to cut the heat back a bit, especially on the downstairs unit. But the fall has been pretty mild so far, so I'm probably not saving much, yet.

Our house is very energy efficient and we have always kept the winter setting at 67F. No changes. Natural gas.

No changes here since we have natural gas. If the price has gone up, I haven't noticed it yet.

I have an oil fired boiler and like you, I was shocked to see my last oil delivery was $6.15/gallon - almost double what it was 1 year ago. But I've decided to Blow That Dough and keep my thermostat set at 66 like I do every winter.

I am always impressed by how much more people in cold climates pay for heating than we southwesterners pay for cooling. And I have an all-electric home with heat pumps.

Before having the solar power system, I used to pay $400 for the month of August (peak cooling), and $150 for the month of February (peak heating). Hottest daytime temperature in the summer is 115-120F, and coldest nighttime in the winter is usually in the low 40F.

My experience is the exact opposite. We pay $500 - $600 to heat our house for the entire winter, this is on the very cold Canadian prairies. Our coldest temps are -35 and lower.

Your previous $400 bill for August would have paid 3/4 of our entire yearly heating cost.

This was actually a good exercise as it forced me to go back through the invoices/charges for the past year and see the exact costs.

So, before getting in to the cost, it helps to have somewhat of an idea of the layout of the house, and how we normally have the thermostats set.

We have 2 zone heating on the main level of the ranch, and it's divided into 3 sections. One zone heats the 3 bedroom/2 bath area at one end of the house. The other zone is the remainder of the main level. However, between the two ends is a center section which we rarely use and keep the doors at the ends of the hallway closed during the cold months. This section has the front door foyer in the center leading in to a second family room, and off the main hallway the dining room, and 4th bedroom...and 4 skylights and a big bay window. We never use the front door to the house, only entering/exiting through the garage at the far end. The basement is the third zone, which is partially finished, and the Nest there is always off. Temperature down there will always be 50 to 55 through the winter months with no heat.

Usually, at the bedroom end of the house, during the day, I'd have the Nest set for 62 or 63. At night, it would be at 57. At the other end of the house, with the kitchen, main family room, 3rd bathroom, that Nest would be set for 50...if we were spending time in the main family room, then we'd raise the temp to 62. One last thing to consider - though those temps also seem low, it's important to remember that at the bedroom end, the Nest is in the center hallway, while the baseboard radiators are around the outside perimeter walls. So, the heat has to flow to the center of the house, through the rooms in to the hallway. Meaning that although the Nest is triggering at 62/57, while it's heating up, in the bedrooms it's actually warmer than that. DW's sewing room is in the basement, and if she's spending time down there when it's cold, she'll set it at 62 just for the time she's there.

Now with all that in mind, the costs. We have a pair of 275 gallon tanks in our basement. We usually get one fill between August and November before it gets cold, then another 2 during the winter, and one in the spring. The fill in August is not much. Once the heat is turned off in mid/late spring, the oil is only for the hot water heater, which has relatively minimal usage. That fill might be 50 to 60 gallons for the 4-6 month period. At the time of the two other winter fills, it never goes below 1/4 (oil company will generally deliver between 3/8 and 1/2), so we're usually talking about 300 gallons to fill. When we get a fill, it takes the tanks to 7/8 full. I just went down to check, and they are at 3/4, so we have not gotten a fill for the winter yet. We're on auto-delivery with the oil company, so they decide when exactly to fill.

I've pulled out the past several invoices I have, and found the other totals from my credit card statements. It will give an idea of the usage and costs we're looking at prior to now.

Aug 19, 2021 - 52 gallons @ $3.299 = $171.55
Jan 25, 2022 (billing date) = $873.77
Feb 17, 2022 (billing date) = $416.00
Mar 29, 2022 - 298 gallons @ $5.599 = $1668.50

I guess my memory was off about the price in the spring - it wasn't over $6/gallon at the time, but $5.59 - which stuck in my head as being so outrageous at the time. I'm certain it's definitely in the $6.25-$6.50 range right now considering the price of diesel at the pump.

Seeing the usage and prices over the past year makes me more confident going with the small electric space heaters just in the rooms where we're hanging out will make a big difference this season. We'll see how much it helps and if it justifies continuing with that approach vs. using the oil more.

Sorry for the long story, but I think the context and parameters are important in understanding our normal usage, how we were already really frugal, and how that translated to the costs. I can't imagine how other folks with oil who do heat the whole house manage and keep it at say 67, 70, or 72. We certainly aren't the only ones in the area with oil.

My next door neighbor, who passed away a few years ago, had the town natural gas run to his house probably 20 years ago (both our houses were built in the early 1970s). I remember him telling me that he had to pay $40,000 for the job. At the time, with the price of oil below $2/gallon, it sounded like an outrageous amount. Today, it's still expensive, but not so outrageous should oil prices stay where they are, or heaven forbid, go even higher. I may begin looking in to alternatives, not necessarily to replace the oil, but to supplement it so we don't use as much.

Last edited:
Here in Minneapolis we heat our 2000 Sq ft rambler with natural gas. This is for furnace, water heater, 2 gas fireplaces and dryer. We keep the house at 67 during the day and 65 at night. Our budget plan, 12 equal payments, is $121 per month.
We use the gas fireplaces a lot to heat the rooms we spend the most time in which allows us to keep the rest of the house cooler.

As everybody knows, New Orleans can be pretty hot. I do turn the heat on sometimes in the wintertime. Usually, my annual natural gas bill has been about $350 (averaging about $30/month), and this includes heat, plus my gas dryer, gas stove, and gas water heater. Even if my bill doubled, that wouldn't be too bad. But if my (natural gas) heating bill became exorbitant, I'd turn off the heat and a blanket would suffice.

When I lived in Virginia, we'd hear about older people freezing to death in their homes after snow/ice storms. As I grow older, I'd rather live in the South and deal with the heat.

I just got my latest natural gas bill: $29.11
My bill for the same month in 2021 was $25.53. :eek:
Yes, it has gone up, but I can handle it! SO glad I do not live in snow'n'ice country.. :D

I just got my latest natural gas bill: $29.11
My bill for the same month in 2021 was $25.53. :eek:
Yes, it has gone up, but I can handle it! SO glad I do not live in snow'n'ice country.. :D

You have to take the good with the bad. How much was your August AC bill?

We spent Christmas (and New Years) in New Orleans a few years back. It was 82 degrees and 115% humidity, didn't really feel like Christmas time at all.

Otoh, New Years in New Orleans is awesome!

We spent Christmas (and New Years) in New Orleans a few years back. It was 82 degrees and 115% humidity, didn't really feel like Christmas time at all.

Otoh, New Years in New Orleans is awesome!

In N.O., LA, at Xmas, Santa flies in on a large mosquito!:LOL:

Reactions: jj
We will not do anything different that we do not normally do to conserve heat. Keep the thermostat fairly low on the main floor, change the filter frequently, and use space heaters as needed upstairs (DW likes things warmer in the areas she hangs out in). Compared to last year at this time the monthly average payment is up slightly (maybe 1%), but the February and March bills are usually the ones with heavy usage. Things will depend more on the severity of winter that we have in the Mid-Atlantic region.

<SNIP>

People have been forced to chose between food and medicine but this year heat is now in that mix. Some will have to decide between starving, going without meds or freezing, this did not have to happen and is self inflicted. There will be great misery among the poor elderly this Winter.

I believe I've mentioned elsewhere that I have a friend who lives in Poland. In his area, people always purchased coal for heating from Russia. This year, due to the war, it has been outlawed so he must purchase coal imported from other areas. The price for coal has gone up 5X! He now spends 5 months of his (equivalent to our SS) just to buy coal for the winter. Theft of coal neighbor-to-neighbor is now common in his community. Apparently, all of Europe is poised for a potentially disastrous winter. That situation too was pretty much inflicted upon people and didn't have to happen. YMMV

My heat, hot water and AC is included in my hoa fees. They are all on a central boiler system. I have a blower in the ceiling which circulates the air so my electric bill ranges from 30-40/month. I have gotten colder since I have gotten older and glad I don’t have to keep my condo cold.

Heh, heh, our Condo/HOA fees have risen 9+% the past two years. That doesn't include heat (we don't have any), but it does include hot water. One way or the other, we pay for rising energy costs, sad to say.:(

I've gone about as low as I can go, I think. I have gas heat and bills just about doubled last year because their energy costs doubled. I have a programmable thermostat, 65 during the day, 60 at night, and the space heater is always going in the room I'm in. I live alone; no need to pay to keep the rest of the house comfortable. I'm about to leave for a few days so will set it to ECO, which keeps it at 50, and bring it back up via my smartphone a few hours before returning home.

I have a good supply of warm sweaters and blankets. Not willing to go below 65/60; I have low body fat so very little padding and, as earlier posters have said, I didn't save all my life to have blue extremities in cold weather!

I've gone about as low as I can go, I think. I have gas heat and bills just about doubled last year because their energy costs doubled. I have a programmable thermostat, 65 during the day, 60 at night, and the space heater is always going in the room I'm in. I live alone; no need to pay to keep the rest of the house comfortable. I'm about to leave for a few days so will set it to ECO, which keeps it at 50, and bring it back up via my smartphone a few hours before returning home.

I have a good supply of warm sweaters and blankets. Not willing to go below 65/60; I have low body fat so very little padding and, as earlier posters have said, I didn't save all my life to have blue extremities in cold weather!
This is exactly what I do, including the ECO setting. Only difference is I set the low to 57 instead of 60.

I've kept the ECO setting on longer than usual this year and use little ceramic heaters for the bedroom and my office.

The Nest thermostat tracks hourly, daily, weekly and monthly usage.

Last year in November I used 138 hours of heat/ac. This November I've only used 51 hours so far and hardly used the space heaters.

It's funny how one can become used to colder temps in the house.

I used to run 68 in the house in winter, now 65. 68 is too hot. [emoji23]

While I am aware of the jump in energy prices (28% increase in natural gas MI) it is fortunately manageable for us. However it all averages out. We spend very little on A/C in the summer and have what I consider an overall manageable climate. If it gets too cold we travel. Now I'm transitioning into a BTD comment.

FWIW. We have two homes this winter. 3000+ Sq ft at 67 degrees and another 1000+ set at 47 to keep the pipes from freezing. Not cheap but much less than a couple nights in Key West.

Last edited:
In WV the utilities are still regulated so I don't expect to see a huge change although I'm sure they can pass on their increased costs for natural gas. While we are generally frugal one of the things we do not skimp on is heat in the winter. When the house was built we bought the "extra insulation package" or whatever it was called since the option at the time was $300 so it was a no-brainer to buy that. So it pays off huge in lower utility bills.

Reactions: W2R
If I had oil heat & no access to natural gas I'd plan on adding high-efficiency, mini-split heat pumps for heat (& A/C)

Here in the Chicago area, a lot of neighbors are complaining about the high price of the heating bills (natural gas).
The gas company even sends out warning emails to us, that the next bill is going to be in a higher range. They base it on each persons historical usage and weather predictions.

So we get shocked by the warning email, and then dread the actual bill :eek:

We have a cheap programmable thermostat, so it goes down to 64 at 11 pm and back to 72 at 8am, a little savings and no effort.

We will just suck it up and pay, we don't do equalized billing as I want the shock if I start to go wild with the heat :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom