Are you still planning on snow bird to Florida this coming winter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup. But our Canadian friends had to cancel all of their reservations due to the lack of health insurance options. We may still see them in March as that's the only reservation they kept for now.

The "45-days in advance for a refund" cancellation policies caused them to change their minds because their health insurer said they won't insure anyone in 2020 but may in 2021. They could not chance it.

Ray.

One shoe to drop for Canadians was Medipac travel medical announcing this week they would cover Covid in US this winter.

Canadians are allowed to fly to US without restriction but DW is hesitant to fly. Not to be defeated, Canadians can take the train into the US! So I have hatched a plan to train from Montreal to Albany and then a one way car rental to Florida. And buy a car there, which is what most eventually do.

I am confident we can hide from the virus with food delivery and distancing, but I would need to see the county hospitals to be in good enough shape to take care of us if needed.

I think recent experience suggests that the southern cases will follow the curve and burn out over two months. Windows closed weather due to cold or heat may be the common thread.

DW and I are rapidly losing interest in our FL winter trips. Last season we made 3 trips with a considerable expense involved. DW commented we spend about 1k to fly back home to buy Grandma groceries.
This year we only have one trip booked, only because of a soon to expire voucher. Maybe we'll bite the bullet and skip the trip. We'll end up saving about 10k in the process.

Same here. Portland to La Quinta for 2 months plus family and friends visits on the way down and back for a total of 90 days January to March.

For those who determined still snow bird to Florida this winter, do you have a 2nd home there or go through rentals?

In the past, we would have booked a rental by now via airbnb, but given the situation in FL, we haven't done anything yet

We have a place near Winter Haven, and yes we plan on going in January.
Could that change? Of course.

I'm hoping to but it's too soon to say for sure

We snowbirded in FL for 7 winters and then AZ for 3 winters; always in a rented condo (FL) or rented house (AZ).

This coming winter we don't expect the virus situation in AZ to be good enough for prudence, so we'll probably stay home.

But if we did decide to go and rent, does anyone have data on rental prices going up or down near Phoenix?

We live full time in Florida in the Tampa area. We are not taking any trips away from home probably until late next year. We are concerned about getting exposed to the virus while we are traveling. The safest way to travel is by car, I believe, but you still get close to people at restaurants, rest areas, and the front desk staff at hotels.
Like anywhere else, you can stay safe if you avoid other people. My wife has stayed at home for since March 6 (when a 5 month trip to SE Asia ended). I go to a local grocery store twice a week and occasionally to Home Depot. Casual short contacts with people is supposed to be safe per the experts.

So it would be fine to come to Florida for the winter, just curtail our social life as we have done.

We don’t snow bird. In fact, we don’t like to leave our home in winter. Too many things can go wrong. Then there is the de- icing of the planes. Or Driving through storms. No thanks. We stay put. Plus- if you just go away for a week or two to a warmer climate it’s like a tease. Nope.

We like all the seasons anyway. And less expensive to stay here. In addition, in terms of owning two homes, I would not want the responsibility, expense and hassle of owning two homes even if we could afford it. Unless we were so rich that we could have full time caretakers, etc.

I honestly don’t get this aversion to snow for those that are retired. You don’t have to trudge out to work each day. It’s nice to put on the fireplace and cozy up. Cooking some nice warm meals like soups and such. There’s some things to do outdoors- snowshoeing, skiing, skating, dog sledding, hockey, ice fishing. Just dress in the right clothes.

Then the holidays - so nice in the northern climates for Thanksgiving and XMAS.

Hey-to each his own I guess. I’m glad I don’t need to worry about it with this COVID complicating it even more.

If you do come, don't expect people to be wearing masks unless you are in a location with a mask mandate. Even then, enforcement varies.

It's terrible down here, so many people not wearing masks - young and old alike.

I only go out for MD appts and grocery pickup. I became surrounded by a bunch of people in the grocery store not wearing masks the last time I went. That was enough for me.

I do walk in my neighborhood daily. And, we did go to a lesser known beach once during mid-week. People, for the most part, kept their distance. I would NOT go during the weekend nor to a popular beach. Also, I've heard our beach town bars are crowded with few people wearing masks.

I'm in FL longer than normal taking care of relative and it appears many of the snowbirds have stayed. More traffic and busier grocery stores than normal for summer (in a heavy snowbird county outside Tampa).

Last edited:
As usual we will drive back to our place in Southern Utah (from Vermont) in September-ish. Our Vermont camp here is isn’t winterized so not much choice. Fortunately where we live most people around us are careful about distancing and mask wearing.

If you do come, don't expect people to be wearing masks unless you are in a location with a mask mandate. Even then, enforcement varies.

It's terrible down here, so many people not wearing masks - young and old alike.

I only go out for MD appts and grocery pickup. I became surrounded by a bunch of people in the grocery store not wearing masks the last time I went. That was enough for me.

I do walk in my neighborhood daily. And, we did go to a lesser known beach once during mid-week. People, for the most part, kept their distance. I would NOT go during the weekend nor to a popular beach. Also, I've heard our beach town bars are crowded with few people wearing masks.

We are getting to the point where we live FLA where folks are accepting the new normal. Very few folks are mask less anymore in grocery stores or Lowes or Home Depot. We do not go places where the mask less frequent.

I do not feel unsafe in NEFLA when going out doing daily chores, now DW is a different story.

Last edited:
Visitors to Ireland

"We came to Ireland to essentially avoid Florida"

Not going to Ireland, but this winter marks 78 years in a row that I haven't snowbirded in Florida.

Same with us. We stopped snowbirding in the US (Florida mostly) eight years ago in favor of other countries . We sometimes spend a day or so in Hawaii but only because we are changing planes.

We still plan to visit family and friends, various trips throughout the winter to St. Augustine, Punta Gorda, Ft. Lauderdale, and Destin.

We don’t snow bird............ if you just go away for a week or two to a warmer climate it’s like a tease.

I think the reference to "snowbirding" implies going south for months, not weeks. That is, you migrate to warmer climates for the winter, like many bird species.

We're still planning on two months in Florida, from mid-Jan to mid-March. But we camp, so no en route motels or rentals while down there. Everything is booked (state parks). Now just waiting to see what the COVID-19 status is at the time we plan to be there. Fortunately, it's easy and cheap to cancel Florida State Park camping reservations right up until the last minute.

We usually travel internationally to warmer weather in the winter, but since Americans aren’t going to be welcomed, we are probably going to take our boat down the ICW from Virginia to Florida. We have a condo in Florida that snowbirds rent...if they cancel, then we would definitely stay at the condo. Either way, We would absolutely stay away from everyone. Unfortunately, many act as if the virus doesn’t exist.

~ A segment of the Wiki dictates. ~

A snowbird* is a person who migrates from the colder northern parts of North America to warmer southern locales, typically during the winter. The southern locales include the Sun Belt and Hawaii in the United States, as well as Mexico and the Caribbean. Snowbirds used to primarily be retired or older, but are increasingly of all ages.

Many individuals have grown up w/this snowbirding* lifestyle and see it as a lifestyle choice.

Good luck & Best wishes.....:greetings10:

~ A segment of the Wiki dictates. ~

A snowbird* is a person who migrates from the colder northern parts of North America to warmer southern locales, typically during the winter. The southern locales include the Sun Belt and Hawaii in the United States, as well as Mexico and the Caribbean. Snowbirds used to primarily be retired or older, but are increasingly of all ages.

Many individuals have grown up w/this snowbirding* lifestyle and see it as a lifestyle choice.

Good luck & Best wishes.....:greetings10:

So that's what Anne Murray was on about:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom