Bacon - How Do You Cook It?

Oven at 325 degrees. Two pounds at a time with the exhaust fan on high. Still fills the house with bacon smells (not necessarily a bad thing) but only have to do a batch every few weeks.

Air fryer

Although I can only cook a couple of servings (4-6 slices), which is plenty for me, I have found that my countertop air fryer is the cleanest way to make tasty bacon.

I was about to give up finding someone else that uses an air fryer. It makes great bacon fairly quick. We use to use the microwave but AF is better. Wife uses the oven if we have company and she needs more than will fit in the AF.

I was using my George Forman grill (too messy) and the microwave (to poorly) for small servings prior to the air fryer. The oven is better than a skillet for larger quantities.

Old fashioned pan fried, then use the grease for the eggs.

Mainly use Turkey Bacon ( I know) .

I take some paper towels and lay them across a microwave safe plate. Then I put 4-6 slices of bacon on it and cover it with some more paper towels. Then I microwave for about 4 minutes or so.

Fry it in a pot. Yes, a pot. Minimizes splatter and then I drain the grease into my bacon grease jar for seasoning.

I'm not sure how it's cooked, but this is the simplest and fastest way to get your bacon fix:

Attachments

• GetBacon.jpg
    GetBacon.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 20
Want Crispy, Tender Bacon? Cook It In Water

Sometimes the best techniques are the counterintuitive ones, and our simple stovetop method of cooking bacon in water is just that. It may sound weird, but it will produce crispy and tender bacon every time.

Why Does Cooking Bacon in Water Work?
The addition of water keeps the initial cooking temperature low and gentle, so the meat retains its moisture and stays tender as the fat renders. Plus, since the water helps render the fat, there will be significantly less splatter as your bacon finishes in the pan.

Also, by the time the water reaches its boiling point, the bacon fat is almost completely rendered. This will help keep the meat bacon from burning, since you now don’t have to wait for the fat to cook off like you would if you cooked it the traditional way, instead of in water.

https://www.americastestkitchen.com/articles/3347-how-to-cook-bacon-skillet-add-water

Last edited:
Thanks Dr.Brisket for the link to sous vide bacon. For such thin sliced meat, 12 hours seems excessive. But it will be a fun experiment!

…For such thin sliced meat, 12 hours seems excessive...
EastWest Gal,
You’re welcome. I really enjoy it and hope you do too!!!

As far as cooking time, remember you are cooking the bacon in its cryopack, so the “thickness” during sous vide is closer to 1.5”.

I have not personally tested many different cooking times, so 12 hours may not be needed. Seems there are lots of different opinions on the web as to how long is needed at the lower temps of sous vide to get the perfect end tenderness, texture, and taste.

You’re post has inspired another haiku that I dedicate to you:

Bacon is wondrous
Sous vide bacon more profound
Oneness with bacon

EastWest Gal,

You’re welcome. I really enjoy it and hope you do too!!!

As far as cooking time, remember you are cooking the bacon in its cryopack, so the “thickness” during sous vide is closer to 1.5”.

I have not personally tested many different cooking times, so 12 hours may not be needed. Seems there are lots of different opinions on the web as to how long is needed at the lower temps of sous vide to get the perfect end tenderness, texture, and taste.

You’re post has inspired another haiku that I dedicate to you:

Bacon is wondrous

Sous vide bacon more profound

Oneness with bacon
I've sous vide individual pieces bacon in a couple hours. I'm not sure it's going to change more than mine did. Like you're saying, it's 12 because of the thickness.

Want Crispy, Tender Bacon? Cook It In Water

Sometimes the best techniques are the counterintuitive ones, and our simple stovetop method of cooking bacon in water is just that. It may sound weird, but it will produce crispy and tender bacon every time.

Why Does Cooking Bacon in Water Work?
The addition of water keeps the initial cooking temperature low and gentle, so the meat retains its moisture and stays tender as the fat renders. Plus, since the water helps render the fat, there will be significantly less splatter as your bacon finishes in the pan.

Also, by the time the water reaches its boiling point, the bacon fat is almost completely rendered. This will help keep the meat bacon from burning, since you now don’t have to wait for the fat to cook off like you would if you cooked it the traditional way, instead of in water.

https://www.americastestkitchen.com/articles/3347-how-to-cook-bacon-skillet-add-water

Interesting. May have t try it this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom