Baseball 2020

steelyman

Moderator Emeritus
I didn’t find a thread for MLB 2020 yet, so here it is.

Man. Lots of stuff affected by the current pandemic and I’ve been missing good old baseball in the summertime!

Man. Lots of stuff affected by the current pandemic and I’ve been missing good old baseball in the summertime!

I sorely missed it too. I just hope they can get through the whole 60 games and the playoffs without a stoppage of play due to the virus. What happens if the virus infects most players on a team? Yeah, I understand they have 60 guys on the active roster for just this scenario, but would they march on with the season?

And, God forbid, someone dies. Then what?

YES! Can't wait for Twins Opener, go TWINS! I will be wearing my jersey today as they wrap up scrimmage.

I'm having a hard time getting over the Astros cheating scandal. So not that enthusiastic about the baseball season starting again. They had it all and they blew it...big time. :facepalm:

Can't get excited about the Rangers because of their former connection to the "High Plains Grifter". Maybe I'll become a SF Giants fan - and maybe even a 49's fan. (I put Bill O'Brien and the Texans in about the same category as the Astros these days).

I used to follow MLB fanatically, from the time I was collecting baseball cards and playing Little League until a few years ago. For whatever reason, I've lost interest in following the sport all that closely (the same goes for all major sports). Kind of sad to lose a connection to my childhood.

Been having this weird interest to purchase a MLB simulator for my PC and play the game with historical statistics.

Last edited:
I used to follow MLB fanatically, from the time I was collecting baseball cards and playing Little League until a few years ago. For whatever reason, I've lost interest in following the sport all that closely (the same goes for all major sports). Kind of sad to lose a connection to my childhood.

Been having this weird interest to purchase a MLB simulator for my PC and play the game with historical statistics.

Same here since retirement. Spend enough time playing sports and then have other stuff to fill my time instead of watching lots of sports.

I watched the last few innings of the Angels/Padres exhibition game last night. The lack of fans was strange, but it was nice to watch live sports again. The managers agreed to go through the new extra-innings scenario after the game: runner on 2nd to start the inning (the player who made the last out in the previous inning, so no trotting out your speedy pinch-runner). One of the announcers mentioned that the runner on 2nd will prevent defenses from shifting, as they might with nobody on base. This new wrinkle plus the DH in the NL should make this shortened season interesting.

I'm having a hard time getting over the Astros cheating scandal. So not that enthusiastic about the baseball season starting again. They had it all and they blew it...big time. :facepalm:

We have been living in the Houston area for 25 years now and been Astros fans. After the cheating, we were not happy and now I have reverted back to being a Yankee fan once again. :popcorn: DW still is an Astro fan. :D

Hey, I grew up in New England and played organized baseball there. And I was a Yankee fan growing up. So me changing is justified.

I watched the last few innings of the Angels/Padres exhibition game last night. The lack of fans was strange, but it was nice to watch live sports again. The managers agreed to go through the new extra-innings scenario after the game: runner on 2nd to start the inning (the player who made the last out in the previous inning, so no trotting out your speedy pinch-runner). One of the announcers mentioned that the runner on 2nd will prevent defenses from shifting, as they might with nobody on base. This new wrinkle plus the DH in the NL should make this shortened season interesting.
Runner on 2nd base to start extra innings may or may not be interesting. I suspect it will cause the first batter to bunt the runner over to third base.

Now, if the visiting team does not score in the top half of their extra inning, it is practically guaranteed the home team will bunt the runner on second over to third. Then there will be two intentional walks to load the bases. Then the infielders will play in to get a force out at home; the outfielders will play fairly shallow to prevent runner from tagging up on a fly ball (anything hit fairly deep would be a successful sacrifice fly, so the OF play shallow.) They might even put an outfielder in the infield, so they would have five infielders.

I'm concerned the bunt, intentional walk, intentional walk strategy will get stale.

Same here since retirement. Spend enough time playing sports and then have other stuff to fill my time instead of watching lots of sports.

Baseball has been a kind of “soundtrack” to summers for me. Radio broadcasts for Cubs/Cards in the midwest (where I’m from). I hope that is at least partially back.

Not clear whether the Blue Jays will even get to play. They were not allowed to play in Toronto due to the risk of travel into the US and Pennsylvania just declined to let them play in PNC Stadium. Interesting times. With a 60 game schedule this year is going to be really up for grabs. Will be one big asterisk beside the 2020 Orioles as World Series winners. :popcorn:

me as well. but my belived Cubs were taken off OTA TV as well as ComCast. they are now on their own exclusive streaming service which i refuse to purchase. and now on top of that the kneeling thing. i may switch to goldfish races.

The Astros only made one "big" mistake that the other teams didn't make. :facepalm:

Last edited:
Ready or not. baseball is back!

Just hope they complete the shortened season with the crazy rules.

The Astros only made one "big" mistake that the other teams didn't make. :facepalm:
What was that? Getting caught? Such a sad story. One of the great teams and they will forever be tarnished.

I followed them since the early 70's and saw some of the all time greats go through the organization and they finally got it together and what did they do.......cheat. Really dumb.

What was that? Getting caught? Such a sad story. One of the great teams and they will forever be tarnished.

I followed them since the early 70's and saw some of the all time greats go through the organization and they finally got it together and what did they do.......cheat. Really dumb.
All the teams and most of the players cheat, bend or break the rules... Baseball, football, basketball, NASCAR, it doesn't matter.... (IMO, football is probably the worse) "Someone" decided (for whatever reason) that the Astros went to far this time. And maybe they did....

All the teams and most of the players cheat, bend or break the rules... Baseball, football, basketball, NASCAR, it doesn't matter....
You make a good point and maybe out of disappointment of them getting caught I am being too harsh. I definitely agree that they all bend and even sometimes break the rules to get competitive advantage. But for me an organized effort to cheat goes beyond simple bending and breaking a rule. Stealing signals has been around forever this was definately not just bending the rules. I guess for me as someone that grew up playing Little League I always considered baseball a game of sportsmanship for the most part but maybe I was being a little too naive.

Anyway - enough about the past. :)
"Play Ball" :popcorn:

Last edited:
especially the asinine...can i say asinine here?...rule that extra inning games start with a runner on second.

I know. What a terrible rule :facepalm:.

The only other silly rule that comes close is the relief pitcher must face 3 batters rule. Rule is designed so managers can't manage. So, what if the relief pitcher is ineffective, giving up a grand slam the first batter he faces. The then must pitch to 2 more hitters? Silly.

Oh well, at least a game that resembles baseball is back :popcorn:.

especially the asinine...can i say asinine here?...rule that extra inning games start with a runner on second.
I guess I better get up to speed on the new rules... What's next, participation trophies!!!

You know they have absolutely ruined football with all the rule changes. NASCAR has become a joke and is getting worse and now it looks like baseball is going "foul". :(

Last edited:
60 games will be like a 5k sprint.

A slow start or weak pitching could put a team in a big hole and fast.

The Twins had a lot of promise for a full season. I worry the pressure to hit "bombas" will make this sprint challenging.

I will be keeping a low to medium interest level. I've missed baseball but also surprisingly enjoyed a sport free summer.

I guess I better get up to speed on the new rules... What's next, participation trophies!!!

You know they have absolutely ruined football with all the rule changes. NASCAR has become a joke and is getting worse and now it looks like baseball is going "foul". :(

Even before this crazy year, the baseball commissioner, I swear, spends time thinking up ways to ruin the game.

As for this shortened season, how the heck can they enforce the no spitting rule? Okay, I get that you don't want a player spitting walking into the batter's box. But say if after a slide and the runner gets a mouth full of dirt? A man's gotta spit.

Back
Top Bottom