Baseball 2020

Anyone catch the wacky last play of the game last night? Bottom of the 9th, TB down by one run, runners on first and second, two outs. Phillips singles, which should have just tied it. But the ball clanked off the CF's glove, and the second runner is waved home... and stumbles and falls flat half way. Should've been an easy out. But the catcher doesn't know he stumbled so he attempts a sweep tag, and the doesn't handle the throw. The second run scores, game over. Looked like one of those little league bunt homers.

Yes it was quite the clinic in fielding, catching and base running. Oh yes and clutch hitting with two out in the bottom of the ninth, two strikes and a .117 two-strike hitter at the plate.

What a finish! If you like baseball and haven't seen this play, Google it and watch.

Dodger first baseman Muncy should not have cut off the throw from the outfield. Arozarena would have been out.

GO RAYS!

What a finish! If you like baseball and haven't seen this play, Google it and watch.

Dodger first baseman Muncy should not have cut off the throw from the outfield. Arozarena would have been out.
I don't think the throw was online, and would've pulled the catcher off the plate. I suppose you're right because then he wouldn't have tried the sweep tag where he lost the ball, but Arozarena only would've been out because he had fallen, which neither the C or 1B knew. So I think the Muncy made the right baseball move, even if it didn't work out.

I think the C should've had a little better peripheral vision to know Arozarena wasn't bearing down on him, or the P should've yelled it to him. Lots of crowd noise though.

I don't think the throw was online, and would've pulled the catcher off the plate. I suppose you're right because then he wouldn't have tried the sweep tag where he lost the ball, but Arozarena only would've been out because he had fallen, which neither the C or 1B knew. So I think the Muncy made the right baseball move, even if it didn't work out.

I think the C should've had a little better peripheral vision to know Arozarena wasn't bearing down on him, or the P should've yelled it to him. Lots of crowd noise though.

The catcher had already left the plate and was set up well off the plate to catch Taylor's throw. I suppose Muncy was doing his job with the cutoff although it is also the catcher's job to yell "cut" or not yell it. I'm guessing he did not yell "cut" given that Muncy was maybe only 35-40 feet away and his catch and relay would complicate and slow down the play. But like you said, crowd noise and chaos was a huge factor.

Yes it was quite the clinic in fielding, catching and base running. Oh yes and clutch hitting with two out in the bottom of the ninth, two strikes and a .117 two-strike hitter at the plate.
I loved it when they showed Brett Phillips gleefully airplaneing around in the outfield with his teammates chasing him after he had gotten the game winning hit.

Last edited:
The worse thing about the WS is having to listen to Joe Buck the entire game... How annoying.

I just hit the mute button when I've heard enough of Buck which is usually by the end of the second inning. This guy can talk all night and never say anything worth hearing! I really wish I could just mute his talking and not the rest of the game noise.

The worse thing about the WS is having to listen to Joe Buck the entire game... How annoying.

I just hit the mute button when I've heard enough of Buck which is usually by the end of the second inning. This guy can talk all night and never say anything worth hearing! I really wish I could just mute his talking and not the rest of the game noise.

I was at that point, then the next day he did a football game! DW left the room and couldn't take it anymore. There must be other announcers, but then I recalled how poor the ESPN announcers are.

I loved it when they showed Brett Phillips gleefully airplaneing around in the outfield with his teammates chasing him after he had gotten the game winning hit.

I'm a life long Dodger fan, and I was banging my head on the coffee table after that play. But I still enjoyed seeing Brett Phillips. That was classic!

Totally agree. And we've suffered listening to him for years and years. He's the least excitable play by play announcer I've ever heard. Game seven of the world series could be won on an inside the park home run in the bottom of the ninth and Joe Buck would hardly change his cadence when delivering the play-by-play.

Another annoying thing he does is describe the play when the batter makes contact by starting most of his sentences with a long, drawn out, T-h-a-a-a-t.
"T-h-h-a-a-a-a-t's.... a line drive to left field." "T-h-a-a-a-a-t's....a fly ball to center." "T-h-h-a-a-a-a-t's.....a foul ball."

As long as we're on the subject, John Smoltz sure does like to hear himself talk. He is knowledgeable, but really, shut up every once in a while!

Woohoo! With an asterisk, but who cares?

Agreed. If the Rays would have won I would have considered it legit.

There is something to be said for that extra round of the playoffs, playing straight through each playoff series without a day off, playing on a neutral site, playing in a bubble, etc. All these stress factors diminish the size of the asterisk.

Joe Buck = closed captioning. ;)

Yes, the commentary was poor. I grew up listening to Vin Scully call the Dodger games. We would bring our transistor radios and ear peice with us to hear him call the game while we sat watching and cheering in the right field bleachers ($2 a seat back then) .

Buck: Aaa... line drive. Fair ball. Home run for Bellinger.

Scully: Line drive down the left field line! If it's fair it's gone! The crowd will tell you.
[Pause....... then Dodger stadium erupts in cheers] [Scully says nothing for a few more seconds as the fans soak in the excitement.]
Scully: Bellinger hits a bullet into the left field corner to move the Dodgers ahead.

Last edited:

There is something to be said for that extra round of the playoffs, playing straight through each playoff series without a day off, playing on a neutral site, playing in a bubble, etc. All these stress factors diminish the size of the asterisk.

Too bad the Rays didn't get a handicap for having such a low-cost team. Oh well.

How could a 60 game season be legit? No matter who wins? If Roger Maris gets an asterisk then whoever won this season should too. A big one.

Last edited:
How could a 60 game season be legit? No matter who wins? If Roger Maris gets an asterisk then whoever won this season should too. A big one.

I'm saying their world championship is legit. Of course there will still be an asterisk next to the 2020 season. But all teams entered on the same footing and played under the same conditions. I'm no fan of the Dodgers and so it pains me to say it, but they're the WS champions.

Back
Top Bottom