Baseball 2020

So how are pitched complete games counted for a 7 inning game Vs. 9 innings. I know they are rare these days (complete games pitched), but it does happen. And on occasion, the pitcher throws a no hitter. I guess they could just asterisk the event (*)?

They are making baseball hard to watch like the NFL.
Games that are called because of rain after 5 innings is a competed game. If a starting pitcher pitches all 5 innings of a called game because of rain it counts as a "complete game." This is not a new rule.

I presume the same rules would apply to a 7 inning game.

The first 15 seconds of video. Nice contact, not dirty baseball :):

btw .. that was some throw.

The first 15 seconds of video. Nice contact, not dirty baseball :):

btw .. that was some throw.
I'm sure the catcher would have appreciated if it had been a bit more accurate - i.e. to the plate rather than up the third base line. But yes, good arm.

I'm sure the catcher would have appreciated if it had been a bit more accurate - i.e. to the plate rather than up the third base line. But yes, good arm.

True. But good job by the catcher too.

The runner (also a catcher, that's why a bit slow running) was trying to score, top of 10th inning starting from 2B with that [-]goofy [/-] new extra inning rule.

True. But good job by the catcher too.

The runner (also a catcher, that's why a bit slow running) was trying to score, top of 10th inning starting from 2B with that [-]goofy [/-] new extra inning rule.

nah...you were right the first time. it is goofy.

nah...you were right the first time. it is goofy.

Rules is I guess kind of like overtime in college football or a shootout in hockey. Does add a level of excitement but, yet goofy and IMO, doesn't belong in baseball. I sure hope the rule is just a temporary thing and goes away next season.

I'm wondering if MLB will be able to finish the season? or maybe the last team with a full roster wins the championship?

It is starting to look bad for having an NFL season.

No way I see baseball finishing. They're already getting a back up of games due to covid. College football is out too, imo. NFL is not looking good either

Rules is I guess kind of like overtime in college football or a shootout in hockey. Does add a level of excitement but, yet goofy and IMO, doesn't belong in baseball. I sure hope the rule is just a temporary thing and goes away next season.

agree. but i am a bit of a conventionalist when it comes to baseball...daytime games, played on real grass in open air parks.

i know...i know...but I grew up in metro Chicago watching the Cubs on WGN with Brickhouse, Lou Boudreau and watching Ernie (my wife got a kiss on her check from Ernie on our wedding anniversary many years ago), Billy Williams (got to meet him a few years back when he came through my early-voting line), Santo (got to sit with him for a few minutes at an old-timers game in Mesa a few years before he passed) and others. I was hooked and still am. All games started at 1:20 with the occasional weekend double headers at noon. Ladies Days!

So I'm not a big fan of the new rules and am dreading the day the computer emasculates the home ump by calling balls and strikes.

No way I see baseball finishing. They're already getting a back up of games due to covid. College football is out too, imo. NFL is not looking good either

I agree. Trying to enjoy what games even with empty fans are for this season. But I also don't see how baseball will finish.

Since this is a stay at home, ZOOM (or other video conferencing year), I think would've been fun at MLB or NLF be creative enough to let the players stay home but had some type of "real pro athletes play virtual games" and televise that with most of the proceeds going to charity.

A lot of musicians are giving virtual concerts. Would be nice if athletes did something similar to show they haven't' forgotten the fans, but are also staying safe themselves.

Not understanding why the Pirates didn't pinch run for Stallings.

I agree. Trying to enjoy what games even with empty fans are for this season. But I also don't see how baseball will finish.

Since this is a stay at home, ZOOM (or other video conferencing year), I think would've been fun at MLB or NLF be creative enough to let the players stay home but had some type of "real pro athletes play virtual games" and televise that with most of the proceeds going to charity.

A lot of musicians are giving virtual concerts. Would be nice if athletes did something similar to show they haven't' forgotten the fans, but are also staying safe themselves.

You might have missed some of these events that happened a few months ago?

MLB: https://www.mlb.com/playersleague
NBA: https://nba.2k.com/2k20/en-US/news/first-ever-nba-2k-players-tournament/
Indy Car Racing: https://www.indycar.com/2020/indycar-challenge

I tried to watch the baseball once, but just couldn't get into watching someone else play video games. DH did enjoy the indy car events. They're not very realistic though, because the drivers would take risks and cause crashes that they never would have in a real car.

You might have missed some of these events that happened a few months ago?

MLB: https://www.mlb.com/playersleague
NBA: https://nba.2k.com/2k20/en-US/news/first-ever-nba-2k-players-tournament/
Indy Car Racing: https://www.indycar.com/2020/indycar-challenge

I tried to watch the baseball once, but just couldn't get into watching someone else play video games. DH did enjoy the indy car events. They're not very realistic though, because the drivers would take risks and cause crashes that they never would have in a real car.

Dang, I must have been living in a cave.

me as well but very happy they didn't. a better question might be why joey cora didn't put up the stop sign.

I'm starting to wonder about the Pirates manager, Derek Shelton. First, he does not pinch run for his catcher at second base in a tied game in extra innings, and second, rather than walk him he elects to pitch to Nelson Cruz with runners on second and third, one out, in the bottom of the ninth, in Minnesota. Cruz hit a deep fly over the CFer's head and the guy on third happily trotted home with the winning run. Game over.

One explanation was probably because the Pirates were the road team.

That's kind of like the approach when to use your closer at an extra inning game. Often time, the home team uses the ace closer early. But the road team tries to wait until they get the lead.

Seems that viewership interest is down sharply due to all the political stuff. It is like the leagues are trying their hardest to doom the sport.

Seems that viewership interest is down sharply due to all the political stuff. It is like the leagues are trying their hardest to doom the sport.
It's working too!!! All's I can do about it is turn the channel... I'll probably check back in a few weeks, if they are still playing, to see if it's any better but I'm not get my hopes up...

Last edited:

That's kind of like the approach when to use your closer at an extra inning game. Often time, the home team uses the ace closer early. But the road team tries to wait until they get the lead.
Can you elaborate? Because I don't see any strategic advantage to not trying to score a run just because you are the road team.

i agree about when to use the "closer" but there should have been a pinch runner or at the very least the runnet should have been held at 3rd precisely because the Pirates were the road team. i say that as a BB fan but as a Cubs fan i'm very glad neither of those things were done.

I did watch a few innings of a couple of the Astros post season games... Funny to see all the "fake fans" in the ballparks.... Heck they could have had a few "fake trash cans" in the Astros games to make it look more realistic... :LOL:

Last edited:
Astros are done for this season.

Back
Top Bottom