Being Mortal (new book)

This book showed up on my coffee table recently, as DW had brought it home from the library. Midpack, seeing your synopsis makes me want to read it.

This book showed up on my coffee table recently, as DW had brought it home from the library. Midpack, seeing your synopsis makes me want to read it.
Hope you enjoy it. I am still waiting for my turn on the local library waiting list...might have to buy it.

Excellent interview with the author on Science Friday last week:

Atul Gawande: On Being Mortal

DH and I both listened to it and I think we'll be buying the book. Since he has a chronic progressive health condition it's something we'll need to talk about often in the coming years.

I finally got it from the library, and just finished reading it today.

I thought it was just excellent. It gave me insights into my real world end of life experiences (still in progress) with my parents and DW's Mom, all different.

But it also gave me welcome food for thought regarding where/how I might one day draw the line between quality of life versus quantity of life. How our society arrived at a point where medical technology has enabled too many people to lead longer but much less satisfying lives in our final years is well explored, and the "blame" for excesses goes to patients and families just as much as medical professionals.

Based on (knee jerk) comments from earlier threads, those who would categorically chalk it up to simple greed are mistaken IMO, and the book makes the case well.

A very worthwhile read long before the end IMO.

Last edited:
What a thought provoking book.

Having dealt with end of life issues with parents and brother - I could relate to some of the things in the book.

The discussion of assisted living and nursing homes vs the desire for independence was also very thought provoking.

This has triggered a lot of discussion between DH and I on all these topics.

This is all good food for thought, especially the "As recently as 1945, most deaths occurred in the home. By the 1980s, just 17 percent did."

Some of our older relatives have become what I call "professional patients". It is like that is their entire day - seeing this doctor or that doctor, getting this test or treatment. Enough to barely on live on for years in poor health being a full time patient, worried every day about their latest diagnosis and no time or energy for much else. I don't want my final years to be like that.

Bumping this thread to highlight the PBS Frontline show last night that featured Dr. Gawande and some of the stories from his book. If you missed it, it's available online: Being Mortal | FRONTLINE | PBS

Very well done and adds a more personal touch to the written word (DH gave me the book for Christmas - it is excellent).

As a PS, the fact that PBS makes most shows available immediately for online viewing at no cost (and no registration) has led us to increase our contribution to our local station.

The way the medical practices now divide every issue into 27 sub-issues, each with an associated 2-minute doctor visit (and bill), this could be starting to afflict a younger cohort, as well.

Amethyst

This is all good food for thought, especially the "As recently as 1945, most deaths occurred in the home. By the 1980s, just 17 percent did."

Some of our older relatives have become what I call "professional patients". It is like that is their entire day - seeing this doctor or that doctor, getting this test or treatment. Enough to barely on live on for years in poor health being a full time patient, worried every day about their latest diagnosis and no time or energy for much else. I don't want my final years to be like that.

Bumping this thread to highlight the PBS Frontline show last night that featured Dr. Gawande and some of the stories from his book. If you missed it, it's available online: Being Mortal | FRONTLINE | PBS

Very well done and adds a more personal touch to the written word (DH gave me the book for Christmas - it is excellent).

As a PS, the fact that PBS makes most shows available immediately for online viewing at no cost (and no registration) has led us to increase our contribution to our local station.
Even though I've read the book, I have my DVR set to record it Thur AM. Thanks for the heads up! :greetings10:

Back
Top Bottom