Best Voice

Mariah Carey early in her career had the best vocals of anyone I ever heard. Whitney Houston and Aretha Franklin at their peaks are the next 2.

As far as voice over, James Earl Jones or Morgan Freeman.

Mike Rowe.

I'm surprised Jon Hamm gets as much voiceover work as he does. He's OK but does not rate with the others being mentioned in this thread.

Not to highjack this thread, as I don't have any name(s) to offer up, but I did want to mention my Echo Dot has been playing Eva Cassidy for a few hours now, for free! Love her voice. Thanks, RAE!

A friend gifted me the Echo Dot a few weeks ago and I thought it was sort of a gimmicky gadget for $50. I've since grown to really like it. I'll say "Alexa, play Luciano Pavarotti" and get 10+ hours of his wonderful singing.

I think folks who are really into voices might find it a quick way to hear playlists of their favorites...or sample new voices.

Now back to our normal programming. :LOL:

omni

For conversation- European and British accents. In my wild younger days I fell into bed with quite a few men because they talked pretty. One guy who worked for a previous employer was German, and a German accent can sound like a military officer in a WW 2 movie, but there was something SOOO sexy about his accent the women in the office would breather heavy when they heard him on the phone.

But- as far as singers- Celine Dion, especially her early works in French, and Neil Young. My Dad once said he sounded like a castrato but there's something very emotional and plaintive about his voice. CSN&Y >>>> CSN.

Female voices
Karen Carpenter
Barbara Streisand
Stevie Nicks
Cass Elliott
Ann Wilson

Males:

Waylon Jennings
Roger Whittaker
Frank Sinatra
Roy Orbison
Steve Perry
Lou Gramm

Sounds like your brother took the time to care about how he spoke and used his voice.

He did. He understood the power of narrative, had a keen appreciation for the idiosyncrasies and quirks of human nature, and the ability to weave these little details into a story. A great lover of people, almost everyone likes him. He's still very much with us, but I was using the past tense, as his speaking abilities haven't quite been the same since his stroke.

You have an old clip of his so we can hear it? I would be honored to be able to listen to him.

I wish I did. His kids possibly have old video with audio of him, but I haven't asked.

Peter Thomas - the voice of Forensic Files and NOVA. I just love his voice.

Best singing voice (female) is Eva Cassidy, without a doubt. It's a real shame that she die so young.

YES!!!!!

Also Mary Black (Irish, traditional and wonderful contemporary songs)
Cat Stevens
Willie Nelson on the album of Gershwin songs
Joni Mitchell when she was melodic

-BB

Does Bon Scott qualify?

Diana Krall has, IMO, the best contalto voice. That low, sulty, smoky voice that can turn a reading of the phone book into an erotic experience. The fact that she is knock-out gorgeous and can play the Steinway like no other just adds to the overall package.

Garrison Keillor's voice was mesmerizing, especially as he brought us up to date on the happenings in Lake Wobegon.

I like the voice and music of Amy Winehouse very much. Unique but so listenable.

The man who once said, "A billion here and a billion there, pretty soon you're talking real money" -- Everett McKinley Dirksen.

Don Williams, The Gentle Giant, who passed away recently has a really rich sounding voice.

Speaking: Walter Cronkite, James Earl Jones
Singing:Neil Diamond
Julie Andrews

If only I had a voice that didn't sound like a rusty hinge

There are a bunch of memorable male voices, but among female voices two were so rich you could pour them on ice cream:

• Eleanor Audley - An earlier generation actress who voiced Maleficent in the Disney animated movie "Sleeping Beauty", and the wicked stepmother in "Cinderella".
  • Clayelle Dalferes - a DJ on a classical music station I used to listen to out of NYC back in the 1980s. The most elegant voice of all time.

Jonathan Winters

I've been watching clips of Jonathan on YouTube from his various appearances. Comedy and voice master.

Best singing voice (female) is Eva Cassidy, without a doubt. It's a real shame that she die so young.

So , OK I never heard of her, then I saw a few more posts saying her name. Then someone said echo is playing 10 hours of her songs. I clicked on one of her videos, WOW, how I never heard of her before is a mystery.

I will definitely be sharing her name with anyone that wants to hear a beautiful voice.

I know this is really old fashioned and un-cool, but I have always been totally awed by Grace Slick's seemingly limitless dynamics and control in "White Rabbit":

OK, you know I HAD to add Aretha Franklin:

+1
Not "old fashioned and un-cool", Old School and Cool :cool: 2 of my faves :)

I'll throw this one in

Reactions: W2R
Back
Top Bottom