Bike Racks

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I now have a hitch installed on my RAV4. It's the 2 inch hitch.

My main use for it will be to attach a bike rack to the vehicle. Looking around online I see that one can spend as little as $99 for a rack or go well into the $700's for a rack. Needless to say I don't want a cheap rack that will be a nuisance to use and/or not hold the bikes securely. OTOH, $700+ for a rack is a lot of money.

I would like to get your recommendations and experiences from riders who have used a rack.

My requirements:

Hold 2 bikes.
The rack should attach and remove easily.
Main use will be to take bike(s) to local biking trails, but I may also take them with me on vacations in my area.
It should securely hold up to two regular bikes or two electric bikes.
It needs a way to lock the bikes to the rack to deter theft.

Is there anything I might have missed in the above?

Your comments are, as usual, awaited and appreciated.

Oh, I don't do mountain biking or any 'extreme' uses. No jumping off ramps, riding over boulder trails or skidding down the side of icy glaciers, etc.

Yakima makes a nice product.

https://yakima.com/products/onramp?_ga=2.187795304.1721545201.1630074867-2126178364.1630074867

If e-bikes are a possibility, this one may work. You can ramp each bike up to 66 pounds each.

Yakima would also have the hitch locks and bike locks required.

This one is really nice. The video in the link is good. I'm actually thinking of upgrading to this model.

I currently have a Yakima 4 bike. It is probably 20 years old and still works great.

Last edited:
Careful on the electric bikes. They are much heavier and although the hitch can handle a "tow load" it can not handle the leveraged weight of the heavier electric bikes. Possibly removing batteries lightens the bikes enough.

I now have a hitch installed on my RAV4. It's the 2 inch hitch.

It needs a way to lock the bikes to the rack to deter theft.

Be sure to get a lock for the hitch itself, otherwise a thief will remove the pin and pull out the hitch and bikes as 1 unit, then throw it into a pickup and be gone.

Yakima makes a nice product.

https://yakima.com/products/onramp?_ga=2.187795304.1721545201.1630074867-2126178364.1630074867

If e-bikes are a possibility, this one may work. You can ramp each bike up to 66 pounds each.

Yakima would also have the hitch locks and bike locks required.

This one is really nice. The video in the link is good. I'm actually thinking of upgrading to this model.

I currently have a Yakima 4 bike. It is probably 20 years old and still works great.
I have had several Yakima racks over the years and they are a very good product. However they are expensive(witness the $649 one in your link) but are probably worth it. I've had this roof top box for over 20 years and never had a problem with it on countless trips.https://yakima.com/products/rocketbox-pro-11

Flexibility

I just purchased this one:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01BMTTIPU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It is Canadian made, I assume you can get it in the states. The hooks that go over the frame can be locked, so keeps most of your bike secure. (You may need to do something about your seats.)
I strongly recommend something that you set your bike on by the wheels rather than by the frame. Not sure if I am explaining that well. I used to have one that you placed the top tube over a bar. This sucked as it was challenging to get the second bike on and scratched the bikes up and even damaged the bikes once when I wasn't careful enough.

I have a yakima on ramp for our 2 ebikes. As bloom2708 linked above. I paid $649. This bike rack is rated for 2 bikes up to 66 lbs each as said. Our bikes weigh 46 lbs each, so no problem.

It is very easy to mount/dismount. And it has a little ramp that attaches to the bike rack in case you need to ramp up a heavy ebike onto the bike rack. And it's locking cable has a dual purpose - locks the bikes to the rack, and locks the rack to the hitch.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-27 at 10.42.32 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-08-27 at 10.42.32 AM.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 32
The Kuat NV and Sherpa racks are exceptional. Rack installs in a minute, bike loads in seconds, very well built with the desired features, and a mechanism to remove any rattle in the hitch mount. The retail cost is exceptional as well, twice what I was willing to pay, I found a used one. After a few years of trusty use, (several times per week), I'd be willing to pay the $700 for the quality and ease of use.

A ebike can weight more than three racing bikes.

https://www.amazon.com/Swagman-Cross-Country-2-Bike-2-Inch-Receiver/dp/B0001VO1YY

Looks to be a good product if your bikes ate up to 35lb each.

Do you know if ebikes are legal on your local bike paths?

My personal opinion is ebikes should not be on the bike paths when the state law says no motorized vehicles are allowed. The paths are shared with bicyclists and joggers / walkers. Bikes rarely go faster than 15mph but ebikes can reach 35mph.

The Kuat NV and Sherpa racks are exceptional. Rack installs in a minute, bike loads in seconds, very well built with the desired features, and a mechanism to remove any rattle in the hitch mount. The retail cost is exceptional as well, twice what I was willing to pay, I found a used one. After a few years of trusty use, (several times per week), I'd be willing to pay the $700 for the quality and ease of use.

We bought a Kuat NV 2.0 earlier this year. It can hold two ebikes, and has a built-in repair stand as well. A simpler model (NV 2.0 Base) is available without the repair stand.

We also liked the Thule EasyFold hitch rack, but it was on backorder for too long.

Have a Yakima that holds two. Main reason I selected it was weight. At time I saw reviews and it's light weight was commented on so got it. Plenty of heft for two mtn bikes. Easy on off, I don't go far but when bike's on feels pretty secure. Would recommend. I guess they all do but it easily will unlock so you can fold down and raise the SUV door without removing bike or rack. Has integral lock onto hitch as well as looping wire for bikes.

This fits your checklist for everything except built-in lock for thee bikes. https://www.saris.com/product/freedom-2 I have this for my and DW's bikes, and I bought it primarily because it is lighter in weight than the others. Removing it and putting it on are easy.
I use a simple chain lock around the bikes, and I also have a Saris lock for the bike rack pin itself.

ETA: I don't know of this would take 2 eBikes.

I have Kuat Sherpa 2 and loooove it. Easy on, easy off and comes with a lock. It has a tilt-away rack to access the cargo area without removing your bikes. Our bikes don't move at all driving on the highway/roads. Holds up to 40lbs each bike, so not sure about loading 2 electric bikes. If you order from E-trailer, you'll get a discount off the regular price when you place it in your cart - that was a nice surprise. https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-Racks/Kuat/SH22G.html

The link has several videos on the workings of this rack. Highly recommend.

I've owned a lot of bike racks. I know a lot of riders, who have also owned a lot of racks. Almost all of us have ended up with, eventually, after griping and moaning about the price, a 1upUSA.

They're $600 and there's a waitlist. It's not just the best built, easiest to use, most stable bike rack I've ever owned, it is one of the nicest things I've ever owned. There is not one single piece of plastic on it. The whole thing is made from extruded or machined aluminum, in the USA.

https://www.1up-usa.com/product/2in-heavy-duty-double-bike-rack/

You can also buy additional trays for it should you need them. If you have friends that have a 1UP and you're going on a trip together you can add their trays to your rack. Up to 4 in total. They also sell a cargo tray add on.

https://www.1up-usa.com/product-category/add-ons/

It is available as a 1 1/4" hitch or a 2". The 1 1/4" comes with a 2" adapter, but the 2" is obviously tougher. I don't expect it to ever break, but if it does, the company sells every part of it as spares. If you were so inclined you could assemble a complete rack from the spares.

https://www.1up-usa.com/product-category/parts/quik-super-duty-heavy-duty-replacements/

It comes with a locking hitch pin, but they also make several bike lock solutions for it depending on your needs.

https://www.1up-usa.com/product-category/security/

There are lots of options out there. Kuat makes nice racks, Yakimas are fine. In my opinion, the 1UP is the best.

This has been a great rack for us. It has most of the features you are looking for. I am not sure how well it will do with an ebike. Saris does make an ebike rack but I would call them and ask if this would work https://www.saris.com/product/superclamp-ex-2

The rack locks to the car. It has a cable to lock the bikes when on the rack. Fairly easy to take on/off. The arms do not touch your frame. However, if you have fenders on the back tire, it will not grip as tight since the arm that holds the bike will need to be against the fender. When using it with our fender bikes, the front tire is snug on the arm. The back fender is gingerly placed against the arm. To date with many transports, some long, it has worked well even with fenders.

Lots of comments for Kuat. I ordered one and never used it since it did not fit my car. An expensive lesson as I had to pay to ship it back for a refund. It is not a fair comparison but having seen the Kuat and used the Saris, I would buy the Saris again. It is a better price and works great.

Chuck,
I've been extremely happy with my Allen brand, hitch mount, bike rack.
They are also about a third of the cost of name brand models.
Good luck,. JP

Yakima has awesome customer service. Had a problem with my roof rack about 5 years after I purchased. They sent me a new replacement rack. No hassle.

If I were looking for another bike rack, Yakima is the first place I would look.

And make sure you get a big cable and lock for security. Don’t rely on the thin cable locks that come with most bike racks. Have friends who have relied on the supplied cable lock only to find an empty bike rack when they came back to their car.

Another vote for the 1UpUSA racks. I’ve owned a couple from Thule and one from Yakima. The 1Up is far superior to both. No cheap plastic parts. Aluminum construction. My last Thule rusted from the inside out. The telescoping arms on the Yakima are hard to operate and it doesn’t fold easily. Get the 1Up single with a one bike add-on. Gives the option to only have one position, making it easier to put on and also more compact on the car when 2 bike transport isn’t needed.

Forgot to mention…two of my friends, retired ladies in their late 60s, each bought one of these racks from 1Up this past year. They tell me at least once a month how much they love them. And they’ve both owned similar units from Thule and Yakima. Easy to put on the car and easy to load bikes.

I’m buying a second one for my wife’s car. She’s tired of fighting with her Yakima Dr. Tray.

Another vote for the 1UpUSA racks. I’ve owned a couple from Thule and one from Yakima. The 1Up is far superior to both. No cheap plastic parts. Aluminum construction. My last Thule rusted from the inside out. The telescoping arms on the Yakima are hard to operate and it doesn’t fold easily. Get the 1Up single with a one bike add-on. Gives the option to only have one position, making it easier to put on and also more compact on the car when 2 bike transport isn’t needed.
I haven't bought a rack in a long time and always used Yakima but those 1Up get great reviews on backcountry.com and they look really well made.

We bought a Kuat NV 2.0 earlier this year. It can hold two ebikes, and has a built-in repair stand as well. A simpler model (NV 2.0 Base) is available without the repair stand.

We also liked the Thule EasyFold hitch rack, but it was on backorder for too long.

+1 on recommending the Kuat NV 2.0. It is a well-made rack and can easily handle our two e-bikes.

Attachments

• 6E969624-9B9B-47A9-BB60-022D7C6CA713_4_5005_c.jpeg
    6E969624-9B9B-47A9-BB60-022D7C6CA713_4_5005_c.jpeg
    81 KB · Views: 16
I've been through at least a half dozen bike carriers including Thule roof racks and those that attach to a bumper hitch and hang the bikes. Nothing worked for me until I found one similar to this. There are a few different manufacturers.
71Flt1AyFLL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
I like the way the wheels sit inside the carrier and the top tube is secured. No movement of the bike at all. Mine also locks down on the top tube and in the hitch. No way to steal the bike.

Cheers!

Gosh great ideas. Thanks. Looks like I need to visit a few bike retailers and take some notes.

Back
Top Bottom